PDA

View Full Version : Respect Marines -- they made history here

thedrifter
07-28-06, 04:14 PM
Respect Marines -- they made history here
By John Gerber

Now, I must speak up and say something on behalf of my beloved Marine Corps. Reading and listening to a lot of nonsense about my Corps, I hear people say "money isn't everything" and they're right. Years ago when the Marine Barracks closed, we lost part of our history and lost our Marines.

One day, a few years ago, an elder in our organization asked me and the other younger Marines to promise him that, when he dies, he would have a Marine Corps funeral -- a right that all Marines should have. Unfortunately, we don't have any more Marines on Guam, aside from the recruiters.

It might not sound like a big deal for anyone else, but to a Marine it's the final honor and the title we take to the grave. We, the Marines of the 3rd Marine Division Association of Guam, embarked on a mission to bring our Marines back to Guam, in some capacity. I'd like to think that we played a small part in the decision to bring the Marines back to Guam and it has nothing to do with money.
Marines have a rich history on Guam since 1898, when Guam became a territory of the United States. After a devastating typhoon in the early 1900s, when our people were starving because of all the crop damage, it was the Marines who pushed carts of food to our villages, helping our people. This act bonded the relationship between the Marines and the people of Guam. The Marines taught in our schools, taught farming, ran the police station, trained the Insular Guard and many a young Marine married into our community, (and their) descendants remain with us today -- names like Underwood, McDonald, Eddy, Benner, Alvarez and Jackson, just to name a few who chose Guam as their home.

When people attack our Corps, they are attacking our Guam Marine veterans too -- Marines whom I am honored to have served with and associated: Gen. Ben Blaz; Col. Danny Santos; Col. Adolf Sgambelluri; Maj. Ben Guerrero; Maj. Ren San Nicolas; Gunner Ed Batanga; Maj. Mike Carey; Lt. John Phillips; Master Gunnery Sgt. Buck Cruz; Capt. Pete Siguenza; Capt. Jesse Gogue; Gunny Jesus Babauta; 1st Sgt. Ray Peredo; Gunny Felix Gogo; WO 4 Alan Van Aken; Staff Sgt. Joe Limtiaco; Gunny Bob Hall; Ray and Cook Alvarez; Jesse Dydasco; Jesus Ramirez; Sen. Bob Klitzkie; Rick Cruz; Joe Alexander; Mark Brandlin; Roke Blas; Jim Cruz; Paul Lazano; Roman Cepeda; Tommy Gamboa; Arnold Gogue; the Guam Combat Patrol; the Marines from the 1969 Guam Platoon; Corpsmen Johnny (Atulai) Taitano; "Doc" Lee Webber and so many, many more.

Every family on Guam has a father, brother, uncle, cousin, son or daughter who was, or is, in the Marines. When people write and talk trash about our Corps, they are talking and writing about our own Marines too. Yes, money isn't everything -- our honor, courage and commitment are.

John Gerber is a Marine veteran and a resident of Ordot.

Originally published July 29, 2006

Ellie