PDA

View Full Version : Dramatic Evacuation Video Taken by Local Observer

thedrifter
07-28-06, 08:17 AM
Dramatic Evacuation Video Taken by Local Observer
Philly

July 27, 2006 - We have been seeing stories of the evacuation of thousands of Americans from Lebanon. But Action news has dramatic video from a Bucks County man who was in the thick of the action with American sailors and Marines.

Andrew Lubin/Morrisville: "It was exciting. This was the biggest evacuation the American Navy has ever seen."

Morrisville resident Andrew Lubin is showing the video he shot himself in Beirut days ago as he watched in person the massive evacuation of American citizens fleeing the dangers of rockets and bombs.

Andrew Lubin: "You have Marines walking ashore carrying babies, carrying women, helping them get on board. You have the Navy doing the same thing. This is exciting. This is what being an American is all about."

Lubin, who writes about the military for magazines and has authored a book about the Marines, was invited by the military to observe the evacuations. Lubin was rolling his home video camera as American citizens dragged their bags across a Beirut beach and 350 at a time packed onto landing craft pulled up to the water's edge. Some were so overloaded, a bulldozer had to help push the craft out in to deeper water so it could make its way to Navy ships like the USS Trenton.

Andrew Lubin: "We just sailed right up to the back of the Trenton and you step off the bow door and you're into the stern of the ship& As people got on board the ship a lot of people burst into tears, a lot of handshakes. People were basically kind of bowing down saying we're here, we're home again. The USS Trenton is American soil so as far as they were concerned when they stepped on the ship they were home."

Unfortunately, Lubin broke his arm during his trip. It happened Friday at the American Embassy in Beirut as he was rolling on some helicopters landing the evacuated American citizens.

Andrew Lubin: "I think a 2x4 came flying through the air and hit me in the forearm when I was filming."

But Lubin's injury wont be what he remembers most about his first hand look at the evacuations. It's the gratitude of many toward the soldiers and sailors who got them out of the Mideast danger zone.

Lubin: "A lot of handshakes and tears. It was a very powerful and moving experience."

Ellie