PDA

View Full Version : Flushing soldier to be laid to rest

thedrifter
07-27-06, 06:24 PM
THURSDAY JULY 27, 2006 Last modified: Thursday, July 27, 2006 3:13 PM CDT

Flushing soldier to be laid to rest

BY TONIA N. CIMINO

Queens will once again bid farewell to one of its own on July 29 as Marine Cpl. Julian A. Ramon is laid to rest.

Ramon, 22, of Flushing, was two months away from completing his second tour of duty in Iraq when he was killed on Thursday, July 20 in an explosion in the Al Anbar Province.

“Last Thursday, three Marines came to our door at 6 a.m.,” said his brother Sebastian, 19. “I heard my mom screaming and yelling and crying. No one had to tell me then...”

Ramon, who enlisted at 19, served with the 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, Marine Expeditionary Force II.

He had hoped after his tour to study criminal justice.

Described as “energetic, smart and happy,” Ramon “never took life for granted,” according to Sebastian.

“He would always give us advice. We would look up to him.”

Sebastian told The Queens Courier that his brother would keep in touch with his parents, Luis and Yolanda, by phone once or twice a week, and would often send messages to his other brother, Juan, 16, on the popular site, My Space.

“My mom prayed a lot to God that he'd be safe,” said Sebastian.

“Whenever he would call, she would be relieved that he was okay.”

When asked about the realization of every parent's worst nightmare, Luis said, “We're very sad.”

“We're just going to think about him - never forget him,” said Sebastian. “We'll never let his memory get away from us.”

Ramon will be waked on Friday, July 28 from 2 to 9:30 p.m. at the Quinn-Fogerty Funeral Home.

A funeral Mass will be held on Saturday, July 29, at St. Michael's Church at 10 a.m. with interment immediately following.

Ellie

rest In peace