PDA

View Full Version : tattos

helen25
07-27-06, 08:56 AM
i have a ? would it be disrespectfull if i (not a Marine ) got the globe tat for in memory of my dad tatto? i dont have it yet but would love to honer him in that way?

thedrifter
07-27-06, 09:02 AM
I will let the Marines answer this...but from what I learned Yes....;)

Ellie

fiasco1371
07-27-06, 09:46 AM
Try a bulldog or something else. The eagle, globe, and anchor is something very sacred to those that have earned it and your dad would be proud that you actually had the respect to ask this question. It's your choice, your body, but don't let a Marine catch you with something you didn't earn.

Camper51
07-27-06, 10:26 AM
Helen,

Get the Tat. you are doing it to honor your father, not to be a wanna be. I see absolutely no reason you should not do it.

Dave

CAS3
07-27-06, 10:50 AM
I believe it would not be disrespectful just not right.

You did not earn the title.

Look for something patriotic maybe withyour dads initials in it.

helen25
07-27-06, 11:03 AM
i really want the tat my dad was Marine ALL THE WAY let me get some more feed back i know i didnt earn it but me dad did the tat will say in loving memory with dates he served and birth /death

thedrifter
07-27-06, 11:10 AM
Helen

All my children got a tattoo in the memory of their Dad..

They knew from there learning the the Eagle Globe and Anchor was scared to the Marines..

So one has his rank up, another has his signature pix, and the other has the words Semper Fi...Do or Die...

Ellie

I have one too in his memory...

Will be getting another one with info of my husband now...When he designs it..

helen25
07-27-06, 11:13 AM
i still dont know :( its been almost 8 yrs since he passed and i need to do this memory tat please help ? would other Marines hate me for getting
this?i also know this thats why i want to do this for him

Marine84
07-27-06, 11:35 AM
I would say NO - it IS a good thing that you want to honor your Dad this way but, not with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor.

Instead, why not do a pic of him in uniform and the memorium below it - the pic that they took of him in bootcamp would be cool.

J-Ro
07-27-06, 12:00 PM
I'm with you Marine84 and others, I would say "No" on the Tattoo! their are other ways to Honor this Marine but your putting a symbol of a brotherhood on your body for the rest of your life that you know little or nothing about other than your Father. If you have the Eagle, Globe and Anchor on your body people would assume and personnaly I think that would be selfish of you (helen)

but, you gotta do what you gotta do

Osotogary
07-27-06, 12:38 PM
Would it be possible for helen25 to have an Eagle, Globe and Anchor as part of tattoo- in other words, as part of the overall design of the tattoo say, the raising of the Flag on Mt. Suribachi with an Eagle, Globe and Anchor shown within the Mount?

outlaw3179
07-27-06, 12:52 PM
Marines are pretty jealous of this symbol , just for the fact of all that we have to go through in order to earn the right to wear it over our hearts. It also reminds us of all those who have sacrificed so much when wearing this sacred symbol. I dont think that it would be correct for you to have it on you , not because you would disrespect it but just because you yourself have not claimed the title of Marine. I am 100% in agreement that it would be great for you to get something to memorialize your father in a respectable manner. I just know that if i saw you with an eagle , globe and anchor I would be a bit bothered by it. This is my opinion , so please dont be offended . I understand how much your father meant to you and how much the Marine Corps. meant to your father. Do you have a picture of your father in blues? Maybe something like a portrait of him wearing his cover would be nice. Then that way your not just displaying the eagle , globe and anchor on your body but it is displayed on his cover wich he is wearing in blues.

helen25
07-27-06, 01:09 PM
to j-ro how do you know that i have no idea what this stands for i was gonna join but i got pregnant and decided to be a home maker i have so much respect all and everything the Marines stand for you dont know me or what i know it hurts to think ppl will pass judge ment on me for that and osototgary that was kinda my plan patr of a bigger tat look no dis respect reallyi love you all but please dont think you can think what i know

helen25
07-27-06, 01:19 PM
this is my dad<LEGEND>Attached Images</LEGEND><TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/attach/bmp.gif</TD><TD>bunny.bmp (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4355&d=1153402761) (457.1 KB, 0 views)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

outlaw3179
07-27-06, 01:22 PM
Helen I think that will be an awesome tattoo !

Marine84
07-27-06, 01:24 PM
With all due respect Helen - you DON'T know what it means - you didn't feel the need to earn it once you got pregnant - there are plenty of Women Marines that DID get pregnant AND earned the Eagle, Globe and Anchor.

That's one thing about Marines - you can ask us ANYTHING but don't get mad when you don't get the answer you're looking for or you don't want a truthful answer. Ain't a politically correct soul in here...................

It's YOUR body, do what you want with it. You asked what WE think, WE told you.

Marine84
07-27-06, 01:25 PM
The pic would make a VERY cool tattoo!

mrbsox
07-27-06, 01:28 PM
I've seen some pretty good detail provided in tats theses days. Perhaps that picture, in his Blues, in a memorial setting.

Personal vote against our Eagle Globe and Anchor, in a setting by itself. But as part of THAT photo, it would be fitting. Perhaps in a memorial cross, such as at Arlington, with the emblem IN it.

Terry

helen25
07-27-06, 01:29 PM
i was not mad i do respect all your feed back no i dont know what it was like to earn it and about needing to earn it i made my choice do i regret it yes i do but i would not have changed what i did my children needed me more so about me getting mad life is too short to get mad over stuff like what some say but thankyou for letting me know how you feel

helen25
07-27-06, 01:32 PM
mrbsox THANK YOU I LOVE THAT IDEA

J-Ro
07-27-06, 06:08 PM
to j-ro how do you know that i have no idea what this stands for i was gonna join but i got pregnant and decided to be a home maker i have so much respect all and everything the Marines stand for you dont know me or what i know it hurts to think ppl will pass judge ment on me for that and osototgary that was kinda my plan patr of a bigger tat look no dis respect reallyi love you all but please dont think you can think what i know

Helen it's hard to find a good equilibrium on your topic that's why I said "you gotta to do what you gotta do" but you asked (period). honor your father how you want but please don't think that everyone is against you putting our Eagle, Globe and Anchor on your body. Your right I don't know you or know how much you know about the Corps but I didn't ask.

To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
~Elbert Hubbard

His_angel
07-27-06, 06:40 PM
i have a ? would it be disrespectfull if i (not a Marine ) got the globe tat for in memory of my dad tatto? i dont have it yet but would love to honer him in that way?

I can't speak for ALL Marines. Can only speak for myself. The Eagle, Globe and Anchor is some *I* earned. *I* earned the right to wear it, have it tattoo'd on me, and to die as a Marine. *I* do not feel that someone who did not EARN the same right should feel it is "okay" for whatever reason to get an Eagle, Globe and Anchor tattoo.

At the same time I think it's great that you want to do something to honor your Dad. Me? I'd think there are better ways to honor a Marine than to do something that obviously other Marines have already expressed would offend them. *YOU* asked. Some answered.

Still. It's your decision. Just as there are a lot of parents in the Marine Corps. Some had children before boot. Others had children after. Some men had children while in boot. Some of which are single parents ... men and women alike. Just as it was your decision NOT to join the Marine Corps (no matter what your intentions may have been) it is also your decision if you get a tattoo and what tattoo you get.

So you don't like some of the answers you got here. You've tried to add other explanations, reasons, excuses. Doesn't matter how much you say about it. Fact is *you* are not a Marine. Thus to some it would be offensive for you to have an Eagle, Globe and Anchor tattoo.

One Marine did answer you should get the tattoo. And a Marine wife thinks it's okay. All the other Marines who have replied to this thread have expressed their opinions against such. You asked. We answered.

Angel

thedrifter
07-27-06, 07:15 PM
Amen!

What I was taught and learned from my husbands and the Marines ...is that I Never Earned that right to have the Eagle Globe and Anchor..
That is called Respect...

That is why the children found something that still represented the Marines, that meant something to their Dad...

All I have is a heart with his name(lateHusband) in it which I added a cross going through it.

I do have in Roman Fonts..the words USMC Wife...underneath...

Ellie

helen25
07-28-06, 08:01 AM
this is what mrbsox said: I've seen some pretty good detail provided in tats theses days. Perhaps that picture, in his Blues, in a memorial setting.

Personal vote against our Eagle Globe and Anchor, in a setting by itself. But as part of THAT photo, it would be fitting. Perhaps in a memorial cross, such as at Arlington, with the emblem IN it.this tst is what im gonna get love you all and thanks to all

J-Ro
07-28-06, 11:49 AM
Helen_ sounds like you have a plan, You know what is so bothersome about it is that I DON'T HAVE A TATTOO OF OUR Eagle, Globe and Anchor I'm not a Tattoo person when Civilians come in and try too signify our pride (it's gets too me...)

I met a guy in school this past year that had a High and Tight (its a haircut) and he was walking around with a briefcase with the EGA on it, Naturally this catches my eye. When I went up and talked too him he he was NEVER even in the Marine Corps, turns out he was separated because of his his weight in the Seps Platoon, he made it a Month. I didn't say anything but it makes you think... of what We as Marines Stand For and What we Went through to Get what We Got (The Title).

Marine84
07-28-06, 12:08 PM
Oohrah!

helen25
07-28-06, 12:22 PM
its going to be just a small part of the overall tat i hav 7 tats already some for my kids some for my husband i do undrestand why this might bother some but it dosent bother all just remember im not doing it to let ppl think im a Marine thats not me it is only out of respect for my dad

thedrifter
07-28-06, 01:53 PM
Bad tattoo:

http://www.thefontman.com/bat_tattoo.jpg

Good tattoo:

http://www.thefontman.com/good_tattoo.jpg

helen25
07-28-06, 06:08 PM
love the 2nd one the firsti dont know about that lol thanks for addind humor to this

sgt tony
07-28-06, 10:53 PM
in loving memory Semper Fi
DAD
Dates of service
That would be good i think it just a thought.