PDA

View Full Version : Campers invade Camp Pendleton

thedrifter
07-27-06, 07:37 AM
Thursday, July 27, 2006
Campers invade Camp Pendleton
Cub Scouts from around south county get their chance to pick the brains of Marines.

By HEATHER IGNATIN
The Orange County Register

CAMP PENDLETON–Marine Sgt. Ryan Barbour stood in front of the 68-ton tank and fielded scores of questions from a group of Cub Scouts: "Have you ever been in Iraq?" "How fast does it fire?" "How do you know when to turn?"

But it was Chandler Lattin's question that made Barbour laugh: "Can you shoot something?"

"No. They didn't bring any ammo," Barbour replied.

On Wednesday, 300 Cub Scouts from primarily south Orange County got a chance to see an M1A1 Abrams Tank up close as part of a day camp at Camp Pendleton. The boys, ages 6 to 11, have been getting military demonstrations all week, but the tank was the big treat.

"To me, this is the most wonderful way to give back," said Emmett Keith-Jones, a Marine liaison, whose 9-year-old son is attending the camp. "I can't say enough about the opportunity. We get to plant the seeds about the greatness of America right here."

Added Shane Sweet, 8, of San Clemente: "I really think it's fun because I get to talk to the people who work at the base."

The annual camp, held on a 50-acre site called "Rancho Las Flores," runs five days. It is put on by 150 volunteers, including parents and youths 12 to 18. There is a BB, archery and tomahawk range, two 50-foot-long man-made ponds for kayaks and canoes, plus arts and crafts. On Wednesday, campers were building catapults that shot marshmallows, running through an obstacle course and playing water baseball (with a 5-gallon plastic bottle as the bat). The campers will also prepare care packages for returning Marines.

"This is like little boy paradise," said Shauna Hull, camp co-director and mother of Chandler Hull, 11. "Every year it's gotten better and better."

Ellie