PDA

View Full Version : Lubbock family mourns the loss of a second son

ssgtt32
07-26-06, 05:25 PM
Lubbock family mourns the loss of a second son

By BETSY BLANEY
Associated Press

LUBBOCK -- Less than two years ago, Roy Velez got the worst news a father could get: His oldest son was dead, killed during combat in Iraq.

This week, his pain only deepened with news that his youngest son had died in Afghanistan.

Military officials notified the Velez family Tuesday of the death of Army Pfc. Andrew Velez, 22. His brother, Army Spc. Jose A. Velez, 23, died in November 2004 in Fallujah when his unit came under fire while clearing an enemy stronghold.

"I can't be angry. I feel like my heart's been pulled out," Roy Velez said Tuesday. "We've done what the Lord allowed us to do for our country."

The military does not have a regulation prohibiting the deployment of family members at the same time. But families can request that relatives return home if one is killed or disabled.

After his brother's death, the military gave Andrew Velez the option of not returning to combat, Roy Velez said. But Andrew Velez told his father he wanted to return to fight, his father said.

"You always do it for your buddy next to you," Roy Velez recalled his younger son saying.

Roy Velez last talked to Andrew Velez on the phone Saturday. His son told him he'd had "six close calls" as they tracked Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan, and that he was tired.

He was scheduled to return for 10 days of leave during the last week of August. "He said, 'Daddy, I'll see you in August,'" Roy Velez said.

Andrew Velez joined the Army about five years ago. He graduated in 2002 from Estacado High School in Lubbock. During his school years, he wrestled, played football and basketball and ran track. He also loved playing golf.

His older brother, Jose, joined the Army after graduating from the same high school in 2000 and hoped to attend medical school one day. He played football and was an honor student.

After his death, Jose Velez was awarded two Purple Hearts, the Bronze Star and a Silver Star. But burglars stole them all from his parents' home in June.

On Monday, the medals were replaced, thanks to the assistance of U.S. Rep. Randy Neugebauer, Roy Velez said. "And today at 12:30 I learned my other son was killed in action," he said.

Andrew Velez's survivors include his wife, Veronica Velez; a daughter, Jasmine Jade, 5; and two sons, Jordan Davis, 3, and Jacob Andrew, 2.

RIP Warriors
Maurice

marinegreen
07-26-06, 10:22 PM
This really pulls at the heart strings,The Velez family will be in my prayers.
RIP Soldiers,you served well !!!

jinelson
07-27-06, 12:51 AM
Dang that just isnt right. Thank you soldiers for your last full measure of devotion to duty and your country. Rest in peace and may the good lord give your family strength to carry on.

hrscowboy
07-27-06, 02:45 AM
I thought there was a law that 2 brothers could not be in a combat zone at the same time...

Maybe i am wrong I dunno

Gods speed to the family.. and thank you for your service..

ggyoung
07-27-06, 05:49 PM
hrscowboy You are thinking of the Solavin Brothers of WW2. This was put before congres but was niver past. Most people that it was. The services don't like to have brothers in the same combat zone, but there is nothing they can do to stop it. S/F

hawks
11-25-06, 10:09 AM
Sullivan brothers were the 4 brothers on a naval ship that got sunk, all 4 of them died on the same ship, so I do not think they can be on the same ship anymore. The Sullivan brothers were from a place about 1 hour from where I live now.

ggyoung
11-25-06, 10:33 AM
hawks========Two brothers can and do serve on the same ship. My Navy son and my Marine son are planing to do that on the Abe Lincolin CVN 72. There is nothing that I can do about it.

hawks
11-25-06, 09:03 PM
Really, thats awesome. I guess it might be they cant be in the same service or something. But that would be awesome.

Echo5November
11-27-06, 07:42 AM
I live in Lubbock. The second brother in Iraq actually offed himself. He didn't die in combat or accident related. He couldn't handle the PTSD and ghosted himself. Leaving behind a wife and three kids. Now they don't get anything from his death but greif and questions.