PDA

View Full Version : Troops, charities reap benefits

thedrifter
07-26-06, 09:51 AM
Troops, charities reap benefits
July 26,2006
CHRISSY VICK
DAILY NEWS STAFF

It wasn’t exactly traditional golfing attire — crutches, walking sticks and leg and arm braces — but for the Marines and sailors from Camp Lejeune’s Wounded Warriors Barracks, it was as essential as the striped polo shirts, khaki shorts and visors they donned.

They crowded together behind the clubhouse at Paradise Point Golf Course Tuesday morning and watched community volunteers step forward to receive $85,000 worth of checks — proceeds from the Marine Corps Celebrity Invitational in May.

Project Care, the Jacksonville USO and the Wounded Warrior project, three charities heavily involved in service to the troops and their families, received funds from the tournament, which is part of the Celebrity Players Tour.

“When we started we didn’t have any money,” said Mona Padrick of the Greater Jacksonville/Onslow Chamber of Commerce, which runs Project Care. “Now that we do, we can use that money to help wherever need be.”

Representatives from the USO of the Carolinas and the Wounded Warrior Project, run by Disabled Sports USA also expressed thanks for the donation, saying it would go a long way. But the words of appreciation always returned to the wounded.

They were thanked for their service, dedication and strength. They were presented with eight sets of new golf clubs and a hand-operated golf cart with a swivel chair — designed especially for those who are disabled.

“It makes up for what’s missing, so anybody, literally anybody… can get out and play,” said Kirk Bauer, executive director of Disabled Sports USA. “I know they want to get back into life again.”

The warriors, whose barracks officially opened in November, said they were looking forward to hitting the course in coming weeks and trying out the new gear.

But before they do, they were scheduled to get some intensive instruction on how to play. Golf instructor A.J. Bonar and former NBA player Jack Marin were heading golf clinics that offered a few tricks of the trade.

The warriors were eager for a turn with the clubs — and thankful for the opportunity.

“I don’t know a guy here who doesn’t like to play golf,” said Lance Cpl. Zachary O’Grady, who was injured in September by a car bomb. “I love to golf. I used to be better at it but have lost my grip since I lost a finger. It’s still fun to get out and swing a club.”

Lance Cpl. Brandon Love said such opportunities help them on the road to healing.

“We can’t really use our right hand, but they’re providing us opportunities to get there,” he said.

Lt. Col. Tim Maxwell, founder of the Wounded Warriors Barracks, said the golf clinics are a means of physical therapy for just that reason.

“There are all types of injuries and all types of guys,” he said. “If they have a wrist problem, golf is a good way to drill. For those with arms and leg problems, it will help with control and balance. You may not get all your controls back in life, but you learn to control what you have.”

Such gifts and opportunities are nothing new to the troops in the Wounded Warriors Barracks, though. Recent months have brought visits from celebrities like Glen Wesley of the NHL champion Carolina Hurricanes, who brought the Stanley Cup; No. 1 NFL draft pick Mario Williams; and Miss USA 2006.

“It blows my mind when people do this,” said O’Grady, whose injuries include losing the use of his left leg, losing his left ring finger and memory and vision loss from a head injury. “You’re always hearing about the negative things, but then you see firsthand the good things, the good people. It means a lot.”

Being in the limelight is beginning to become second nature as the stories become easier to tell. But dealing with it isn’t always as easy.

“Sometimes it makes us feel weird because we’re just doing our job,” said Lance Cpl. Bruce Schweitzer. “I get to go to the events, meet the celebrities, but I feel like trash because I’m there and they’re working hard.”

Schweitzer and others from his unit sat around a picnic table describing how they would like nothing more than to rejoin 3rd Battalion, 8th Marines, which is due home in September from Ramadi.

“We just all want to get back there,” said Lance Cpl. Chris Boreland, injured in an IED attack a few months ago with 3/8. “Why can’t the guys that aren’t injured get the same treatment? We get to go to parties with generals. If it was up to me, I’d have invited guys who weren’t injured. They were doing the same thing we were doing.”

Ellie