PDA

View Full Version : Group protests war by trying to enlist

fontman
07-25-06, 08:47 AM
Group protests war by trying to enlist
PLEASANT HILL: Grandmothers Against the War go to centers, but members are told they don't meet requisites
Elisabeth Nardi
CONTRA COSTA TIMES

Even at age 63, Margy Wilkinson of Berkeley said she would enlist in the Marines, if only they would let her.

At a recruiting center in Pleasant Hill on Monday, Wilkinson, along with more than 30 other women and men, protested the Iraq War by trying to enlist.

The group, called Grandmothers Against the War, were told they don't meet the qualifications -- such as the age requirement of 17 to 28 years old to enlist.

"We are here to ask the military to take us instead of the young people," Wilkinson said. "We don't believe any more young people should die. I am seriously willingly to go, and I think they have an absurd set of criteria."

Unlike Wilkinson, many protesters said they wouldn't honestly join the military if they could.

Four protesters who refused to leave the recruitment office were arrested and cited for trespassing, though they were not taken into custody. A fifth woman later asked to be cited as well.

The Marine center was the only recruitment center that remained open when the protest started. The Navy and Army recruitment centers, which are all next door to one another in the shopping center on Contra Costa Boulevard, were locked, though people could be seen working in the offices.

Marilyn Langlois, who lives in Richmond and works in Pleasant Hill, was one of the women arrested. This was her 10th arrest, but she said before she got to the recruitment center Monday that she had no plans on being arrested.

"This is something I have to do to show my protest against this illegal war," she said. "I am inspired by these women here today."

The protesters chanted, sang songs about peace outside of the recruitment offices and carried signs with slogans such as "Support our troops by bringing them home." Many in the group came prepared for the hot weather with straw hats and water bottles.

Marine Sgt. Christine Odom, who was at the Pleasant Hill office Monday to help deal with the protesters, said she does not comment on people's political views.

"We definitely respect every person's right of free speech," Odom said.

Every person who entered the office was given a list of the qualifications they had to meet to join the Marines. To enlist, an applicant has to meet all the criteria, Odom said.

This was the first protest at the Pleasant Hill office, she said.

Marge Lasky, organizer of Grandmothers Against the War, said they came to Pleasant Hill because no protests had ever been done there and many in the group are from Contra Costa County.

"We want to empower people," Lasky said. "We wanted to show people who are not usually exposed to this kind of demonstration."