PDA

View Full Version : My Final Decision

young_dog19
12-30-02, 06:24 PM
I have made my decision. I would be proud to join your ranks and carry the title of Marine. By reading your replies and talking with you, I realized the one thing that was holding me back, self-doubt. I knew if I didn't get past that, I would never make it as a Marine. I said to myself this afternoon, "I gonna do it!" and I mean it. I will do my hardest and work to achieve my goal. Thanks for your help. I hope to return the favor someday...

wrbones
12-30-02, 07:03 PM
Congratulations! Now go sign the paperwork!!

Visit with yer local recruiter and then get him to visit with yer parents with you.

Ya get that done, let us know, would ya!

firstsgtmike
12-30-02, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by young_dog19
Thanks for your help. I hope to return the favor someday...

There are some debts/favors you cannot go back to return.

Carry the memory of the obligation forward with you. There will be many opportunities for you to pass it on.

You cannot score by passing the ball backwards.

Confuse the hell out of people. Perform a random act of kindness every day.

wrbones
12-30-02, 09:34 PM
The kid still hasn't read the Poolee Hall or Marine Mentor forums! LOL

Barndog
12-31-02, 04:19 AM
Dayum Bones........

Yer a regular Rocket Scientist. I didn't listen either when I was that age.....

Until I hit them yellow footprints..... LMFAO

young_dog19
12-31-02, 01:51 PM
Okay, so I don't listen to my elders sometimes. Yes, I admit that (and I know that will change), but we all go through that stage, and aren't I allowed a little time to be naive, no disrespect towards you all, of course. Yes, I will learn. I will learn not to be so naive and respect others with more experience to me. So, if I said anything that seemed disrespectful, then, I'm sorry. If I said anything dumb, I'm sorry. And if I seemed too sarcastic or cynical, I'm sorry, that's how I got through high school, because no one ever cared to talk to me or do anything nice for me. I only ask for a little understanding. So, I'll say this to finish off: I respect you all, you fought because you knew what you were doing, and you knew it was the right thing to do. You have survived hell, and for that, I truly respect you all. Thank you.

mardet65
12-31-02, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by young_dog19
I have made my decision. I would be proud to join your ranks and carry the title of Marine.

Can we really change anyone's mind? All we can do is give our advise and hope they use good judgement. I made up my mind to be a Marine in seventh grade after spending the afternoon watching recruiters give a hand to hand demonstration in the school gym. When I hit 18 in '65, my best friend from "the block" and I enlisted. The next thing we knew we were graduating PI as Marines. The war didn't kill us, though it surely could have... We were lucky, everyone wasn't. What could have been a disaster in my life turned out to be the best thing I ever did. Fate steps in and things turn out as they will. To do great things you must take great risks. Welcome aboard Young Dog and good luck!

young_dog19
12-31-02, 04:48 PM
Thank you, mardet.

Art Petersn
12-31-02, 05:35 PM
To do great things you must take great risks. Welcome aboard Young Dog and good luck!

Good words not to be taken lightly. Young dog try to remember them and they will do you a lot of good. Luck to you

young_dog19
01-13-03, 07:18 PM
I'm heading to San Diego on October 13!

Shaffer
01-13-03, 09:25 PM
Congrats young_dog19. I graduated on October 13, 1989. Good luck to you!

Jerry

firstsgtmike
01-13-03, 09:30 PM
Good on ya kid. Congratulations!

Now, get yourself ready by reading the poolee posts and following the links Bones posts on them.

You've got a leg up on most of us "old salts". Like me, most of us walked into the office and three or four days later were standing on the yellow footprints.

You've got nine months to prepare. That's a hell of a head start.
Don't blow it, or you'll end up paying for it.

jerry wozny
01-14-03, 08:56 AM
WELCOME ABOARD RECRUIT, ENJOY THE STAY IT WILL BE OVER BEFORE YOU KNOW IT AND IT WILL BE GREATLY MISSED.

SEMPER FI

firstsgtmike
01-14-03, 09:41 AM
Shaffer graduated from MCRD on October 13, his replacement is arriving on the same day.... FOURTEEN YEARS LATER.

There must be a message in there someplace!

young_dog19
01-14-03, 04:10 PM
Don't worry guys, I've already started getting myself training myself physically and mentally for basic. I'm already feeling better and getting into better shape (I did 60 pushups in 2:30 last night!).

Now that I think about what was said above, that is sort of strange, Shaffer. Coincidence or...destiny?