PDA

View Full Version : Please, know your limits...

Jsphsl4204
07-22-06, 01:14 PM
It has come to my attention that many here, poolees and wannabes alike, have made full intention on joining this world's greatest fighting force; the United States Marine Corps. In itself, that's an admirable voluntation that deserves to be commended.

However, as I browse through this forum on a semi-daily basis, I realize that many here claim that once they are in the Corps, they're GOING to be Force Reconnaisance, or they're GOING to be in Marine Expeditionary Units, or they're GOING to be (insert badass example of Marine Corps blood, sweat, and guts, here).

In reality, you cannot know if you're going to. Only the elite few make it as MARINES, let alone high-combat, Rambo-style, paratroopin', scuba-divin' Marines. Please. Anyone should be proud to behold the title Marine, let alone those in special combat units.

I know it is not my place to say this, but really, you CANNOT, and SHOULD NOT say you're GOING to do such actions. Not only is it not up to you, you might not be mentally or physically proficient enough to claim that further title or Recon. Ranger, etc..

This is in no way a personal warning from me, just an open ovservation that I feel needs to be addressed. Granted, 99% of the users here have tact and make intelligble posts without waning out of their means, but that one percent leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth; I'm sure it can't only be mine.

Please, PLEASE remember how much you should or should not say; NOT for my personal sake, but for your own. I feel even I stepped out of my way as a just a lowly wannabe to make this statement, but it really, really has to stop, for no one wants to see the integrity of this site go to **** because it's an open forum for people like me to come in and say "zomg lawl u guyz imma b frce rec0n lawl!111!1!!1".

Many thanks, and have a great day.

Covey_Rider
07-22-06, 02:19 PM
amen.

JWG
07-22-06, 04:02 PM
Right on..

Worry about getting that Title of Marine, first!

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-22-06, 08:38 PM
Right on, except about the Marine Expeditionary Unit comment. That is simply a duty assignment. As an infantry Marine, you will be part of a MEU (SOC) {Unless the unthinkable happens and your unit doesn't not pass the SOC certification process} and many other Marines will be a part of MEUs as well. The Air Combat Element is full of people, the Ground Combat Element is full of people, and the Cobat Service Support Element is full of people. Some of these are highly trained people like Recon or STA or trail platoon. Others are "just" Marines doing their job.

Jsphsl4204
07-22-06, 09:23 PM
Right on, except about the Marine Expeditionary Unit comment. That is simply a duty assignment. As an infantry Marine, you will be part of a MEU (SOC) {Unless the unthinkable happens and your unit doesn't not pass the SOC certification process} and many other Marines will be a part of MEUs as well. The Air Combat Element is full of people, the Ground Combat Element is full of people, and the Cobat Service Support Element is full of people. Some of these are highly trained people like Recon or STA or trail platoon. Others are "just" Marines doing their job.

Meh, I thought about saying it, but I wanted to wait for the comment. To post saying that you ARE going be in such a unit is unsatisfactory, was my point. I was hoping no one would cretique the details, but I forgot that intelligent people actually hung around here. : )
I'm sorry, I should have specified that. Thank you.

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-23-06, 12:46 AM
Don't worry about it. We've had people here that seemed to think you had to do something to be a part of a MEU as if it were a Spec Ops type thing. It isn't, it is just one of the basic ways Marines are organized to deploy (MEU, MEB. MEF)

wsimkins
07-23-06, 01:03 PM
You don't even have to be in a combat related field. Look at me, 3043 (Supply Administration). Supply Chief, 22 MEU (SOC) 1989-1991. I didn't even ask for it :)

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-23-06, 02:22 PM
Looks like you spent quite a bit of time deployes with 24 MAU (I'm glad they changed back to MEU) and then 22 MEU. My the SNCOIC of my RSS was with the 24 MAU in Beruit. I heard so much about it, I almost think I was there, even though I was just 8 when all of that went down.

wsimkins
07-23-06, 06:02 PM
Thanks, you are making me feel even older. :) The short 10 months I spent with them felt like 10 years. I really learned what NAVY meant then. "Never Again Volunteer Yourself". Well, obviously I didn't learn. :marine: