PDA

View Full Version : These Marines really deliver

thedrifter
07-22-06, 06:02 AM
These Marines really deliver
July 22,2006
Kelley Chambers
DAILY NEWS STAFF

When Lance Cpl. Alexander Clayton, completed his 21st career jump Friday night, he stood on what remained of old Camp Davis near Holly Ridge — a Marine with a new pair of wings in his future.

There was no place he’d rather be.

“It’s adrenalin, simple as that,” said Clayton, 22. “It feels good.”

Clayton had just participated in an air delivery training drop with the 2nd Air Delivery Platoon, Combat Logistics Regiment 27, 2nd Marine Logistics Group from Camp Lejeune. 2nd Air Delivery frequents out-of-the-way drop spots like Camp Davis as its members prepare for combat on the other side of the globe.

The platoon returned from Iraq in March and conducts jumps like this about once a month. The training prepares them for operations that, since 2003, have become constant, particularly in Iraq

During their last tour, 2nd Air Delivery Platoon dropped more than 800,000 pounds of gear for either humanitarian aid or to supply ground troops, said Sgt. R.J. Roberts, the senior enlisted Marine.

“I guess we’re setting higher standards,” said Roberts. “We did a good 30 drops while we were in Iraq. It helps out (over there) a whole lot.”

The aerial drops, which are usually conducted at night, have proved more effective in the face of growing attacks on convoys. Troops, food, ammunition, medical supplies, water drums, and Humvees are all delivered via aircraft.

Friday night, technical difficulties with the aircraft prevented a planned launch of equipment. Still, troops eight at a time were able to float through the night sky toward the illuminated targets below.

Part of the training entails some of the platoon jumping out of a C-17 aircraft while the rest watch from below. They receive just as much training with their feet on the ground, as they observe their fellow Marines’ parachuting skills and make notes.

Lance Cpl. David Ulrich, 24, is one such critic on the tarmac. With 23 jumps under his belt so far, he’s an experienced eye who has also suffered serious injuries during a jump. Despite that, he remains drawn to it.

“Your heart beats really fast and you feel a huge sigh of relief when you land,” said Ulrich. “You feel kinda like a camouflage angel.”

Ulrich was quick to point out that there are a several ways to avoid injury when parachuting from an aircraft moving at 130 knots 800 to 1,500 feet above the ground. One tip is to avoid contact with fellow jumpers in the air. Running with the wind is another mistake, which can steer a jumper off course if the wind is powerful enough.

But the thing jumpers need to do most is pay attention, Ulrich said. They must keep their eyes on the horizon for guidance and the target below.

“I”m not afraid of the air, I’m more afraid of the ground,” Ulrich said.

For Clayton, it was another day at the office. After landing, he tucked back the familiar adrenalin coursing through his body and rolled up his “‘chute.” Like a businessman ready to call it a night, he did not consider whether his landing was successful or not. He had a new pair of gold wings and two legs to walk on. End of story.

“I’m standing right now, aren’t I,” he said. “Just getting my training in.”

Contact staff writer Kelley Chambers by e-mail at kchambers@freedomenc.com

Ellie