PDA

View Full Version : "So You Think You Are A Marine"

thedrifter
12-30-02, 09:55 AM
SO YOU THINK YOU ARE A MARINE

In my view there is a great deal more to being a Marine than wearing the uniform and mere symbolism. I think it starts with a set of standards - surely not exactly the same for everyone - but all with a common thrust. This includes many things. Among them:

You are aggressive and you play to win, but you never cheat - not yourself, not the other person, not the organization.

You have a wholesome respect for others and for their personal dignity. You accord this not only to your friends, but to acquaintances and indeed to all with whom you deal even though some, by their actions, may not seem to warrant it.

You work as long and as hard as is necessary to get the job done, not only to the complete satisfaction of your superiors but to your own. You do not recognize an "8-to-5 syndrome."

You are confident without being cocky, proud without being arrogant, competent without being overbearing, considerate but never subservient, steadfast but not stubborn, humble in victory, gracious in defeat.

You are imaginative and creative. You are not afraid to leave the crowd and make your own way alone if the rewards are those that you really want and the odds of gaining them are reasonable. If you stumble and fall, you don't look for someone to blame. Rather you pick yourself up and carry on.

You are always your own person - never anyone else's.

You are proud of your Corps and its worthwhile traditions - Birthday celebrations, stiff collars, blood stripes, and success in battle - but you spend no tome bragging about this to others who could not possibly understand unless they have been part of them.

All of this is summed up in two words - integrity and loyalty!

I believe these are the basic building blocks for what it takes to be a real Marine.

Being a Marine is not of the flesh - but of the spirit. It is not that you wear the uniform - but rather how you feel about the uniform. In a very real sense it is a "state of mind."

Adapted from a statement by Lieutenant General Ormand R. Simpson

Sempers,

Roger

thedrifter
03-25-04, 10:29 PM
Bringing Back Up.....

Something to think about......

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie