PDA

View Full Version : Nicaragua

Froc2531
07-22-06, 02:26 AM
I recommend a good book, "With the old Corps in Nicaragua" written by CLARK. I was reading this book a few years ago, and it was this reading that sparked my interest in going to NICARAGUA to check things out. I was not only impressed by the history but mostly on the descriptions of the terrain. The jungle, the mountains and the volcanos and lakes.
I went down there with a buddy for about three days, to the colonial town of GRANADA. This town lies right in the banks of the biggest fresh water lake in the Americas. LAGO NICARAGUA. It was actually raided by the pirate HENRY MORGAN in the 1600's. WILLIAM WALKER the famous filibuster was another interesting character but you will have to pull a search about his significance in Nicaragua there on the internet. (I actually saw his grave site years prior to visiting Nicaragua in TRUJILLO HONDURAS by chance when my ship pulled in there for excercises in 1990.) Without getting into big details, I did manage to visit a couple of volcanos, MASAYA and MOMBACHO. I actually hiked MOMBACHO from the base. I noticed in the cigar shop I went to, they had a box with a hand painted EAGLE GLOBE AND ANCHOR, which I bought. I keep my dart board peraphanalia in there. I also saw a bus with the letters "MARINES" painted on the side. So as you can see, Marine culture is somewhat remembered down in Nicaragua after so many years. The Marines pulled out of Nicaragua the last time in 1934, so the very old timers might remember a thing or two.:thumbup:

Froc2531
07-22-06, 02:28 AM
I took some pics of Nicaragua. You can view this page and more for other pics including Kuwait and Saudi back in 1991.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/66e8c/a65/

thedrifter
07-24-06, 08:51 AM
Thanks for sharing!

Ellie

Osotogary
07-24-06, 09:32 AM
You did a fine job with the camera, Froc2531. Thanks. I was visiting Costa Rica right about the time when things were pretty hairy during Nicaragua's FSLN heyday and never ventured cross the border into Nicaragua. Costa Rica's Volcano's were just fine with me. LOL
Gary