PDA

View Full Version : Maritime Prepositioning Ships

Froc2531
07-22-06, 02:08 AM
Hardly anyone posting here so I'll start one. I was in Saudi Arabia in 1990-1991 with the Maritime Prepositioning Ships. The M/V John P. Bobo. Was working a Marine Corps contract as a Marine Corps Maintenance Contractor mostly shipboard. Spent a total of about 7 months in Daharan and the Port of Al Jubail. Prior to this, I was shipping out in Guam in the Pacific. Was in Korea at Pohan for Team Spirit 1989, and out in Okinawa at Red Beach and hit the good ole streets of Naha and BC street outside the gates of Kadena. Shipped in the Indian Ocean at Diego Garcia, shipped over to AHUA TARAS in Puerto Castilla, Honduras in April of 1990. I did my time in the Marine Corps mostly in the reserves, so I did more sightseeing in this civilian tour.:tank:

Stanley Hroszow
07-22-06, 10:31 PM
Keep up the good work,

Froc2531
07-23-06, 03:27 AM
5 years in the Corps, a tour in the Nam, and you made E-3? What is up with that? As you can see. Don't feel bad. I didn't make GENERAL myself.

yellowwing
07-23-06, 04:32 AM
Naha, I heard many a wild Sea Tale about that place! :banana:

GUNNY-PETE
07-24-06, 08:11 PM
I was there when those ships were being off loaded, The marines in my company were assigned port security.

Zulu 36
07-24-06, 08:17 PM
Prior to May 1972, those tales were mostly pretty true. I know, I was at NAF Naha for a couple of months. :beer:

In fact, I left four days after the US gave The Rock back to the Japanese (to go to Vietnam). :p

dixonelectric12
07-24-06, 09:17 PM
served in operation desert shield and desert storm with golf 3/11 out of 29 palms ca.task force ripper gun #7 hit with iraq artillery and injured 2 seriously and the rest of us emotionaly

mrbsox
07-24-06, 09:47 PM
served in operation desert shield and desert storm with golf 3/11 out of 29 palms ca.task force ripper gun #7 hit with iraq artillery and injured 2 seriously and the rest of us emotionaly

Sea bag in the corner, grab an empty rack, and get your sea stories dusted off. Drifter will have the duty roster up sooner or later :banana:

Just where is Bethel Springs ??

Semper Fi :flag:

GUNNY-PETE
07-24-06, 10:15 PM
dixonelectric, I was with Task Force Ripper 1stBN 5th Mar. My Platton was one of the lead elements through the breeches after the Engineers fired the Line Charges

dixonelectric12
07-25-06, 09:19 PM
to answer your question bethel springs is 30 miles north of miss.and 90 miles due west of memphis tn. gunny pete i was with the security patrol that went ahead of our gun batt.to secure the area for...

dixonelectric12
07-25-06, 09:23 PM
brother bsox
im located about 3hrs southwest of you i have alot of union brothers out of local 429 maybe we can get together someday and see if we can do a few pushups still hahahaha

your brother dixon

inchon
08-24-06, 08:30 PM
I was with Weapons 1/7 81's Platoon gents.

Gunny Pete ... Did you know Steve Harrison with Charlie Co? Sgt then. Called him Pops.

SgtHopperUSMC
10-12-06, 08:04 PM
I was on a detail in Norway that was assigned to reload one of those type ships. At least I am sure it was. I was there for operation "Black Gap" cold weather training. BRRRR! I also served in Desert Shield/Storm. 8th Engineers "C" Company. Anyone remember the two ammo supply points? "C" Company initiated the building of both of them.

Hey Gunny-Pete I believe a few of our Marines were assigned to Task Force Ripper to help breach the mine field. Most of the Battallion stayed in Papa Bear. May have been "B" Company 8th ESB that supported 1/5.

Been to Pohan too. Team Spirit "88" Boy did I ever get into trouble.....