PDA

View Full Version : violence in boot camp

gh0st
07-20-06, 04:05 PM
hi, my names jon. ill be heading to MCRDSD october 16th. i have enlisted with an 02XX contract. yada yada yada...

i realize that physical abuse is against the rules in boot camp. but things happen in an atmosphere where its tolerated.... im sure...

im just wondering what your experience with physical abuse either from the DI's, other Marines, or other recruits in boot camp are. thanks fellas!

thedrifter
07-20-06, 04:09 PM
Now this is going to be a good one...

popcorn anyone...:beer:

Now update your profile

Ellie

outlaw3179
07-20-06, 04:23 PM
You are one hundred percent correct when you say abuse is not tolerated anymore in anyway shape or form at the depot . Getting in trouble there can kill a Marines career. But ....I say again ..But....if come to close to a Marine you may be "reminded" to always stay at least one arms distance. This is for your benefit and the safety of the Drill Instructor. If you need "help" in getting up an obstacle they will also be there to "help" you. If you need "motivation" the drill instructor will be there to assist you. Remember that you are not there to be hurt , assaulted, or be abused. But also remember you are entering an ultra-violent gun club where it is the Drill Instructors responsibilty to weed out all non-hackers. Take care boot and dont worry so much. Pain is only temporary and it lets you know youre still alive.

Camper51
07-20-06, 04:29 PM
Welllllll..Way back when..... ha ha , anyway I was in boot camp in 1968/69 and one of my experiences was when our kill/Sr DI firmly planted the butt of an M-14 rifle in the center of my chest, knocking me backwards onto my butt and knocking my breath away. It seems that while speaking of the Sr Drill Instructor , to another recruit, I simply called him by just his last name and he just happened to be standing just out of sight in the duty hut and of course heard my loudmouth. Sheesh!!! no sense of humor in those guys. I was not injured (except my pride) in any way, but like you said, stuff happens... If an officer had witnessed it or someone had ratted...well he would have been history along with his career.

I also saw a recruit in another platoon next to ours taken away in a straight jacket (2nd one I saw) after he broke down after a good whalloping with a garden hose by his DI. Funny, no one ever "saw or heard" anything and the word to the officers and medics was the guy just flipped out....

By the way the drill instructors were NOT allowed to physically touch a recruit, except for instructional purposes, at the time...

Camper51
07-20-06, 04:36 PM
can I grab some popcorn, there, Ellie???

Phantom Blooper
07-20-06, 04:47 PM
Did I or anyone else get stomped in boot camp everyday? Nooooooo!

Was there organized discipline? Yessssssss!:banana:

Individual discipline? Definitely!

Marine drill instructors are the ins-tillers of discipline while in recruit training.

No recruit will be beat to a bloody pulp by drill instructor's. Were you yelled at? Of course.

Will he get up in your face and maybe expel a little spray and odor? Most definitely!

As in all walks of life there may be some that go overboard in behavior. The Marine Corps WILL take care of its own. ABUSE will not be tolerated...I'm sure! Been there done that!

Question? Where did you hear a recruit gets abused?

You have NO fear to worry about accept fear itself...as FDR said in different words.

You will sweat on the quarterdeck.You will sweat in the pits. You may bleed a little.....But you will leave the depot as a Marine or a civilian. It's up to you.

:evilgrin:

Static_Sky25
07-20-06, 05:55 PM
when I was at the depot I rarely even heard rumors of Drill instructors coming in contact with a recruit, unless as it was previously mentioned the recruit needed assistance. however there was always the "i'm gonna bust your head" threats and the "stay an arm away" things...

Phantom Blooper
07-20-06, 06:03 PM
"Who you gonna call?,"The Gh0st busters!"

damn Gh0st you asked your question at 1705 checked out at1838...had 3 replys and you didn't answer back. You just disappeared.

I know you went to go get popcorn with extra butter too. Make it a large!

:evilgrin:

gh0st
07-20-06, 06:44 PM
damn Gh0st you asked your question at 1705 checked out at1838...had 3 replys and you didn't answer back. You just disappeared.

well we have a tendency to do that...

my friend in bootcamp send me some mail saying that nothing had happened to him, but he'd seen some recruits get "choked" and one had tape thrown at them or something lol. i was just wondering.

jennifer
07-20-06, 11:04 PM
Hey man Sh!t happens but it will all make you a togher Marine!! Don't worry about it, you'll be fine. Trust those that are much older and wiser then your peers.

Covey_Rider
07-21-06, 08:31 AM
This by far had to be one of the more entertaining threads to read lol. Oh yeah and I'm an 02xx also. My SOD is 11 SEP 2006

Marine84
07-21-06, 09:00 AM
Ms Ellie - give me some of that popcorn....................

This must be another spoon fed child................

Ghost, be prepared honey - you'll be yelled at, cussed at, DIs will be all up in your grill spittin' on you with veins popping out on their forehead cause they're yelling at you so hard, they'll "mistakenly" make sure things hit you sometimes, they will make you think that you are the LOWEST form of Marine life (no sorry, that's a squid) and so on and so on.

If you can make it through 3 months of all of THIS - you will have accomplished something in your life.

His_angel
07-21-06, 09:22 AM
Boot camp isn't a tea party there Ghost. There's hand to hand combat, pugil sticks, and always plenty of physical activities such as push ups, mountain climbers, and bends & thrusts. Did I think of my own boot experience as "abusive"? No. Was it "physical"? Yes.

Angel

David Jameson
07-21-06, 09:32 AM
Jon. 16 OCT eeyaaaaa--Went to P.I 16 CT 71 .---I got a punch in the belly just before graduation for having a can of brasso sitting on my cover during an inspection. I'm cracking myself up putting this down Because its one of the few things I remmber about P.I BUT it really was not a big deal.Those guys can be a little crazy some days I'M still cracking .I love to have seen the look on face (what a boot maggot) --Good Luck Don"t sweat the small stuff --You"ll be fine.

David Jameson
07-21-06, 09:40 AM
Common on Marine84 lets be our kind ,compassonit selfs OH YEAH WHAT is LOL ,I never heard that acronnim when I was iin --OVERe

Old Marine
07-21-06, 09:53 AM
LOL= Lots of Love from the D.I.

gh0st
07-21-06, 03:18 PM
im certainly not worried about the "physical" aspect of boot camp. and im not worried about the "abuse" aspect, but i was curious about peoples real life stories. cause i know my recruiter is no going to tell me the dirty nasties of boot camp.

hrscowboy
07-21-06, 03:22 PM
your going to play air raid and flood numerous times.. your gonna see a blanket party too.. your going to think your going to drowned also but all and all you will be fine.. until you get to the range and your instructor sticks your trigger finger in the chamber and slams it home because you want to jerk the trigger.. lets see is there anymore????

Camper51
07-21-06, 04:08 PM
Oh, Yes!!!!!!!!!11 Flood the showers with COLDDDDDD water and everyone gets to go swimming.........What funnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course most of our showers were cold anyway because someone usually shut off the hot water......... I wonder who?????????

gh0st
07-21-06, 09:33 PM
whats a blanket party?

WannabeAT
07-21-06, 10:27 PM
whats a blanket party?

Wrap soap in a towel or something and beat a screw-up in the platoon with it. Watch Full Metal Jacket.

gh0st
07-21-06, 11:00 PM
Wrap soap in a towel or something and beat a screw-up in the platoon with it. Watch Full Metal Jacket.
oh that. yeah i know that.

wsimkins
07-23-06, 08:12 AM
Blanket parties are used in the Fleet also. When you have a major screw up in the platoon you simply throw a blanket over their head so they can't see who is instilling the discipline and beat the s**t out of them. It was our way of telling them we were tired of paying for their screw ups. You see, you are a team. Everyone pays for the F-up of the others. I saw very few of them in my 9 years, but did take part in a few. Fortunately it wasn't me under the blanket. Be a squared away Marine and you'll never experience one.

My favorite things in boot were "scuz ragging" and birthday parties on the quarter deck.

I'm gonna make more popcorn....