PDA

View Full Version : need information if possible

joeb33880
07-20-06, 02:55 PM
my son just entered bootcamp 06/12/2006, he was going to be sending money home to help out here while he is gone but as of yet nothing.. my question is.. upon entering bootcamp when does a recruite start getting paid and is it their full pay (military pay chart says a marine under 4 months gets 1178.00 a month) .. do they have ANY time to go to the bank?? any help you can provide in these questions will really help.. thank you

CAS3
07-20-06, 03:17 PM
Sir,
From my experience in 1990, I did not get paid until the third month of boot camp. We did not go to the bank until after graduation.

It may be different now especially with direct deposit.

Osotogary
07-20-06, 03:18 PM
With all due respects, Sir, your request for such information and a reference to a certain dollar amount for a certain time in service, although quite appropriate to you, doesn't sit to well with me..not that that should matter much. I am sure that you understand what your son is going through as you and I type? I am sure there will come a time when personal financial matters will be discussed and action will be forthwith but, jeez, it hasn't been that long since he began MCRD. I hope that it all works out for you and your son.

Zulu 36
07-20-06, 03:27 PM
Things have changed since my day, but based on what I've read, your son should be getting paid now (there might have been a delay because of the date of the month he went in). He must open an account at the recruit depot bank and get direct deposit of his pay (1st & 15th of each month). All bank signups are done during receiving barracks time (first week). He would get paid for service from June 12 onward and I'd guess his first actual deposit was probably July 15). He should have the ability to send money home through allotments.

They get zero time to go to the bank, but I understand they get a debit card for the few purchases they need to make at the PX. They also deduct some money for "bucket issue" items he got during his first week (toothpaste, soap, etc).

I would write and ask him what is going on and what he can do. Write often, he'll appreciate it.

joeb33880
07-20-06, 03:39 PM
With all due respects, Sir, your request for such information and a reference to a certain dollar amount for a certain time in service, although quite appropriate to you, doesn't sit to well with me..not that that should matter much. I am sure that you understand what your son is going through as you and I type? I am sure there will come a time when personal financial matters will be discussed and action will be forthwith but, jeez, it hasn't been that long since he began MCRD. I hope that it all works out for you and your son.

sir, i understand your statement that it does not sit well for you.. however this is something my son said he was doing (not something i asked for) and doing so to take care of commitments that He made prior to leaving for bootcamp. i understand what he is going thru (to some degree having been in the military myself) and having researched it over the net as well. i was simply looking for information since he has stated in letters to me that he has not been paid when he thought he would be and the amount he stated he got was no where near the information i have read about.. i understand he also has things there to obtain (but as stated before i have been in the military myself) and know that almost .. not everything.. but almost everything is provided for the recruite

ROHO
07-20-06, 03:40 PM
Geez Zulu, that sure beats the hec out of what I got during boot, chits, chits, chits funny money for the small px. Times have changed!!!

fiasco1371
07-20-06, 03:41 PM
Sir, I went through MCRD San Diego in 2002 and we didn't have the opportunity to access funds for personal use until family day. It was nice because for once, I actually had something in my account. I don't believe that alotments can be set up until you get to the fleet. Good luck, Sir. Lima Charlie, Osotogary.

joeb33880
07-20-06, 03:43 PM
Geez Zulu, that sure beats the hec out of what I got during boot, chits, chits, chits funny money for the small px. Times have changed!!!

what are you'll talking about.. when i went through bootcamp (back in 1978) my base pay was 300 a month..BEFORE TAXES:scared:

Osotogary
07-20-06, 03:48 PM
Well, Sir, I certainly will stand forward and acknowledge that I just had a "gut feeling" based on nothing, as it were. It is just I had never seen a request presented in the fashion that you chose and, I defensively, thought the worst.
I sincerely apologize if made your Brussels sprout.
If you want to send me a PM with your son's MCRD address and I'll send him a couple of cards, letters, well wishes. I live in the southern part of Florida and I'll be happy send him what I can.
Gary

joeb33880
07-20-06, 03:56 PM
Well, Sir, I certainly will stand forward and acknowledge that I just had a "gut feeling" based on nothing, as it were. It is just I had never seen a request presented in the fashion that you chose and, I defensively, thought the worst.
I sincerely apologize if made your Brussels sprout.
If you want to send me a PM with your son's MCRD address and I'll send him a couple of cards, letters, well wishes. I live in the southern part of Florida and I'll be happy send him what I can.
Gary

Sir,
Not to worry you did not make my brussels sprout. as i would have reacted if I saw something like that i would have thought "gee what a greedy #*%#@$%". I just get worried when my son writes saying he did not get paid when he was surpose to and things do not add up (so to speak).. as stated in a earlier reply i know he has certain things to buy but when i was a recruite almost everything was provided to me.. has things changed where a recruite has to "pay" for all his stuff??

ROHO
07-20-06, 03:56 PM
I never saw any real money until the end of boot camp. The D.I's gave us chits, funny money to buy toothpast, and such at the small px. If I could have sent money back home I sure did not know. I was just happy to have toothpast and soap.

joeb33880
07-20-06, 03:58 PM
I never saw any real money until the end of boot camp. The D.I's gave us chits, funny money to buy toothpast, and such at the small px. If I could have sent money back home I sure did not know. I was just happy to have toothpast and soap.

well i know my son had to open a bank account there on base and was given a debit card for his px calls.. other than that i know nothing

Zulu 36
07-20-06, 04:11 PM
Yep, recruits have to pay for a lot of things, now and "way back when." I had to pay for all of my haircuts, including the first one (40 cents each). All soap, toothpaste, shoe polish, shoe brushes, razors, shaving cream, etc, all of that comes out of your own pocket.

When I went through, we got what was called a "bucket issue," but actually came in a laundry bag. In earlier days it was issued in a bucket, which was part of your issue too (for clothes washing, field days, and wearing when the DI was too embarassed of the platoon). Inside were all of the basics I already listed, plus writing pads, envelopes, some postage stamps, etc. No hair brush though.

I made $143/month. We got paid twice, in cash. Once at about the third training week ($25), and again about the 8th training week ($45). The rest of your back pay was given to you on graduation day.

After graduation, your son will still have quite a lot of things to spend money on. Most Marine uniforms need to be dry cleaned (except the cammies), other laundry expenses, weekly or so haircuts. Plus the basics still need to be replenished. And if he wants to buy extra uniforms, that is out of his pocket too (normally he might wait until he was a Cpl before that came around). Oh yeah, and liberty call too.

bigdog43701
07-20-06, 04:54 PM
joeb,

$300 a month as a boot. try $98 a month as a PFC. (1970)

Camper51
07-20-06, 05:01 PM
Seems to me that allotments were set up in bootcamp also. I remember setting two up for my insurance and family needs. Of course it took two months or so before the allotments kicked in and the checks actually went out. My base pay in bootcamp was only about 102.00. It went up to 109 bucks after bootcamp, though. Eight years later as a Sgt I was only getting some 600 bucks a month, I think, and I thought that was great pay at the time... Coulda been more but I am not positive...

OLE SARG
07-20-06, 05:03 PM
Try $78 a month as a boot private in 1961. I was rolling in dough!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

OLE SARG
07-20-06, 05:05 PM
Try a hefty $78 a month as a boot private in 1961. I was rolling in the dough!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

Zulu 36
07-20-06, 05:11 PM
Could be worse. My dad got $21/month in 1943.

horselady
07-20-06, 05:47 PM
Could be worse. My dad got $21/month in 1943.

Keep going, I'm waiting to see how far back you have to go before
recruits had to pay the Corps!

http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage43/17.gif
(just kidding!)

rwillmarine
07-20-06, 05:47 PM
we got 2 issues of chits (funny money) in boot camp and we had to pay fo everything too this was back in 83 but after the fact I remember being really suprised when I got my first pay that all that funny money really came out of my pay. anyway small price to pay to be a marine.
times sure change we got 245.00 every two weeks as a pfc

Pialphamu
07-20-06, 10:23 PM
I never got a regular paycheck the whole time I was in. They were always screwing things up. One time they would pay too much, another time they would pay nothing! They probably still owe me money! LOL

jennifer
07-20-06, 10:34 PM
I fricken haven't gotten paid in the past TWO paychecks!! ERRRR!!

BigPhil
07-20-06, 10:44 PM
Try $71.00 in 61

8th&I Marine
07-21-06, 12:22 AM
I know I got the funny money back in 89' My nephew just finished boot a month ago. Not sure how they did it though. To make matters worse he went to be a winger, Made his grandpa (0341)and uncle (me) 0351 mad cuz he didnt wanna be a grunt.

Cantrell:flag:

SemperFin
07-21-06, 02:37 PM
on us wingers now! We had it rough too. Once, our air conditioning went out and I almost broke out in a sweat!;)

I was in boot in '86 and our SDI made us all pool a bunch of our chits for all of the miscellaneous crap we needed as a group. It's been a while but I don't remember getting paid any real money until I graduated.

His_angel
07-21-06, 04:02 PM
I went through in 89. Don't remember chits, setting up a bank account or seeing any money until right at graduation. I do know it was less than I had thought it would be due to things that I did have to pay for myself that came out of my pay.

It's possible he hasn't been paid yet. Then again it's possible that it's going into an account and he doesn't realize it. Then again maybe he is getting paid and changed his mind about sending money home while in boot?

Angel