PDA

View Full Version : Question

Young Marine
07-19-06, 05:23 PM
I was just wondering how can you get really good creases in your trousers?
I always get them good but when I sit down they go away can you help me?

jekopp3
07-19-06, 05:29 PM
high heat and steam..... lots and lots of steam!! make sure that you press down hard too.. but don't let it sit for too long or you'll burn right through them!!

Young Marine
07-19-06, 05:34 PM
Okay thank you Jekopp3, I'll try steam.

Bige1371
07-19-06, 06:09 PM
Try starch it work really good too.

LDO Capt
07-19-06, 06:20 PM
Iron crease in trousers, then turn trousers inside out. Apply masking tape to the entire length of the seams and turn them right side out. Now re iron the seams with a HOT iron. Tape will hold the crease for you.

:cool:

R/
Capt G

ssgtt32
07-19-06, 06:26 PM
Leave it to an LDO, that was going to be my answer!

Maurice

LDO Capt
07-19-06, 06:27 PM
Don't forget to remove the tape before laundry or dry cleaning

:cool:

Young Marine
07-19-06, 09:36 PM
Do I leave the tape in when im going to drill? or what?

Marine84
07-19-06, 09:50 PM
Masking tape? Now THAT'S a trick!

The best thing that worked for me was spraying water on it and LOTS of heat and steam. A lot of times when you spray starch on it, the starch flakes up on you and it's hard wiping that trash off plus it leaves a shiny spot on your clothes if the heat is too high. Instead of starch we used Magic Sizing (really! that's the name) - it's like starch but not as thick or something.

LDO Capt
07-19-06, 10:03 PM
Yep,

Leave the tape on while wearing them.

OK now who remembers Kotex in your pits under your creighton so you won't pit it out in the summer on the grinder???

All the little tricks.....

testforecho2112
07-19-06, 10:10 PM
the starch will glaze if you iron it before it soaks into the fabric. Let the starch almost dry on the seams, then use lots of heat and steam...an old Master Guns told me to do the same as LDO said, but instead of masking tape, he used elmers glue...never tried it, but you could shave off of his trousers...

jennifer
07-19-06, 10:32 PM
hmmmm. Might try some of these myslef.

Mustang70
07-19-06, 11:05 PM
Another solution is to do alot of standing:) jk

Marine84
07-20-06, 08:43 AM
Capt you just made me spew coffee on my monitor - Kotex in your pits? I have heard it all now! With us we were told to wear a V neck Tshirt.

That's funny as hell! Kotex in your pits...................

rwillmarine
07-20-06, 06:42 PM
:banana: ok who do you get to buy the kotex

Marine84
07-20-06, 08:46 PM
ROTFLMAO!

(all due respect Capt) Ya'll KNOW HE ain't gonna go in and buy 'em! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Young Marine
08-16-06, 12:59 AM
I have a new question now, is there any tips, or tricks on getting my cover squared away?

outlaw3179
08-16-06, 02:30 AM
Hey Young Marine...I think you might have misplaced your Combat Action . its a cute little stack though.

Young Marine
08-16-06, 03:50 AM
Do you not know how to read? I said I am a Young Marine not a Marine, you can check any of my posts and that should clarify that I never said I was in combat.

Your off topic, this is what some people call Spam. Yuo should try not to do this so much. I have had enough of your sarcasm. I thank you for serving but It doesn't give you the right to have you put down people who want to be a Marine.

mrbsox
08-16-06, 05:45 AM
AS YOU WERE Young Marine !! :mad:

You wrote;
"Do you not know how to read? I said I am a Young Marine not a Marine, you can check any of my posts and that should clarify that I never said I was in combat.

Your off topic, this is what some people call Spam. Yuo should try not to do this so much. I have had enough of your sarcasm. I thank you for serving but It doesn't give you the right to have you put down people who want to be a Marine."

A) Respect your elders
B) Respect the MARINES on this site
C) Quit being so 'thin skined' when somebody pokes some fun at ya

You put your ribbons in your signature. Fine
Your proud of them, as you should be. Fine

Don't come off so SARCASTIC yourself.

I don't think you were being put down by the Seargent, BUT YOU ARE NOW !!

"I'M STACKED".... he!! I'm looking for something double D or better !!
If you can't take a little ribbing about your stack, with out blowing your top, what are you gonna do when a Marine jumps that ass about a REAL infraction ??

Learn to keep your head cool, and your mouth shut. :sick: In the Corps, an attitude like that will get you an S.R.B. that makes you unfit for anything but delivering the mail.

Carry On ! :evilgrin:

His_angel
08-16-06, 02:18 PM
Tape and glue are great unless you get some hard@$$ who actually checks to see if you cheated. You can actually get some liquid starch to use on your uniforms and cover. Let it dry thoroughly. Then use spray starch when ironing. To avoid the shiny or flaky crud just use a very thin piece of cloth between the iron the what you are ironing. {I found old worn out t-shirts worked great.} Use high heat, lots of steam and do it several times. Let it cool. Then do it again. Repeat until desired creases and stiffness are in place. I would spend a few hours over the course of several days on a uniform. For everyday you could probably get away with the shortcuts. For an actual inspection? I'd do it the old fashion way with starch, heat and steam.

Angel

Young Marine
08-16-06, 02:21 PM
Thanks im gonna try that shirt idea, where do you guys find this stuff out?

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-16-06, 10:02 PM
We've spent a lot of time trying new things and being respectful to those that know in the hopes they will pass some information along to us. But, you've shown that you don't quite understand that yet, and if you continue to ask questions of us, I hope you figure it out. Sooner or later, the answers will quit coming to you.

But, here is the best advice I can give about your uniform or cover. Don't even consider using spray starch. Buy Sta-Flo starch, and use it straight from the bottle, and use a ton of it. Cover your uniform and let it sit until dry. Then use lots of steam and pressure when you iron. You can make your stuff look perfect like this. As for creases going away when you sit... it happens. That is why you will see most Marines not putting their trousers on until they are ready to be inspected and/or perform when their apperance is of utmost importance. If you can stand on something about two feet off the ground as you get dressed you can do even more to keep from damaging the creases. It was common for people in my platoon to drive to work in PT gear and then get dressed just before formation to ensure that their uniforms looked as good as possible.

Young Marine
08-17-06, 02:13 AM
Well thank you all for the tips, and tricks. I will try and apply them all to my routine.

jbrocatomarine
08-17-06, 05:11 AM
MAEINE84,

I'm not stickey either,just gooooooey,but don't be afraid little girl,the one eyed monster ain't that Big

mrbsox
08-17-06, 06:01 AM
Well thank you all for the tips, and tricks. I will try and apply them all to my routine.

Guess now I'm starting to wonder if we are talking about DRESS UNIFORM (Alphas or Charlies) trousers, or the utility trousers, and blouse (and shirt).

I remember the summer (poly) dress alphas staying in pretty good shape. The winters, all wool, were a hassle but the wool really held that line well, but wasn't necessaraly (sp?) 'sharp'. Never tried starch on them but once, and had to have them cleaned to get the sh!t out.

We had the old SATEEN utilities, and were switching to the cammies in the late 70s. Nobody could starch like mama-san. I found a mix of starch and water, 50/50 worked well. Soak, wring out, hang to dry. Then iron the Fk out of them.

Even today I get comments on my dress shirts, when I wear one. The 'not sitting' also works for the shirt. I use the garters to keep the shirt tail in, and socks up.

Echo5November
08-17-06, 11:01 PM
hey killer, you can use ordinary elmer's glue. just apply a light coat in a straight line down the inside of the seam. Then iron on a medium heat. It will hold all day until you wash those bad boy's. I guarantee you'll get a few looks from the prior drill instructors liback in the fleet. Semper Fidelis Marine

Sgt. Norton

Young Marine
08-18-06, 04:44 AM
Thank but, I don't think Im gonna use glue on my trousers, atleast not yet XD

inchon
08-18-06, 07:18 AM
If this is for cammies, not the new diggies, I used to use the Sta-Flo as a fabric "softener" and habg the blouse and trousers to dry. Ten used Magic Sizing when ironing. It was either that way or a mama-san.

As far as greens... dry cleaners.

And yes skipper, panty shields in the pits works. I was in 29 Palms. Had one showershoe use MAXI pads. Looked like his lymph nodes were out of whack. :D

Lots of tricks you learn and seem to forget huh? Teaching my 8 year old to polish shoes and she asked why melt the polish on the shoes.

Semper Fi!

LDO Capt
08-18-06, 12:06 PM
And yes skipper, panty shields in the pits works. I was in 29 Palms. Had one showershoe use MAXI pads. Looked like his lymph nodes were out of whack. :D

Now thats funny!! And by the way I got mine the same way everybody else did.....I sent my wife!!!

Semper Fi