PDA

View Full Version : College

Squish
07-19-06, 02:52 PM
I was just wondering what most Marines (or future Marines) do about college. I'm sure that my situation is the same as many; I want to join the Marines as soon as possible, but my parents want me to go to college. :(

JWG
07-19-06, 02:55 PM
I was just wondering what most Marines (or future Marines) do about college. I'm sure that my situation is the same as many; I want to join the Marines as soon as possible, but my parents want me to go to college. :(

All parents want to see their kiddies goto College and be a Lawyer, Doctor, etc.

Do what YOU want.. after all in the end it is YOUR decision, and 4 or more years YOU'LL are giving to the Corps.

Now take away that frown smiley face.. and put a big grin. Welcome to adulthood.. decisions decisions.. ;)

Squish
07-19-06, 04:20 PM
Yeah non of my other 3 siblings went to college, so they probably won't be too suprised:D

JWG
07-19-06, 04:52 PM
Yeah non of my other 3 siblings went to college, so they probably won't be too suprised:D

Well now, I'm NOT saying that you shouldn't goto college. College is a good thing, but doesn't necessarily need to be decided by your parents and/or before the Corps. It's up to you what you do concerning you life (after your 18) , but it doesn't mean you shouldn't be smart and realistic in your decisions in life.

Best of luck to you and your endeavors, what ever they may be.

Camper51
07-19-06, 05:25 PM
It all falls on you, and the situation you have. Many Marines did their college first and became officers (not all, some preferred to be enlisted) and other Marines got their college while serving active duty, and yet others finished a stint in the Corps then went to college using their benefits. Some even became reservists to get the bennies and go to college.

I am quite sure there are hundreds of other ways that marines and college managed to mix things up. The fact is you have to decide the best route for YOU.

Are mom and dad paying the college bills for you? Is college even an option to YOU (it wasn't for me, i just did not care (yeah stupid, I know)). There are many factors in your life that we don't know about (or need to know about) that affect YOUR decision. If college is important to YOU, then I say take care of it by doing some planning beforehand. IE: go to college or plan on getting through while in the Corps. Either way it is still your decision.

Now here is MY two cents worth.... GET THE DAMN EDUCATION. no matter how ya do it, just do it! I am a high school dropout, so my education was the college of hard knocks. I definitely regret not having done something about it. This is experience talking now, not your parents, however, I agree with em.
My proudest moment in life was NOT graduating Boot Camp, or serving 8 years in the Corps. Next to the births of my 3 children, it was the day my daughter called me and said "Daddy, I am graduating college in a few days" I broke down and cried on the phone because I never believed my daughter would do it after she got married. Well she sure showed her old man, didn't she?

JUST DO IT!!!

The Sandman
07-19-06, 05:39 PM
Reserves + PLC = all happy

Squish
07-19-06, 06:17 PM
Any place on the internet where I can find out more info about going to college, while I'm a Marine? Kind of like the way the Army National Guard works...I go through training, become a Marine, go to college, and then start my career as a Marine?

CAR
07-19-06, 06:45 PM
Squish,
My 2 cents: There are times in the Corps where you will be able to and be encouraged to take college classes. There are plenty of colleges that do correspondence courses for the military. While I was in we had teachers deployed with us on ships to teach courses. NOW, is it easy ....NO. Not always. A lot depends on your MOS. some are easier to work college in than others. I was a grunt so it wasn't always easy.

Now the most important part ..... What do YOU want to do, what do you like. Food for thought, the institution of college will always be there. You will only have limited opportunity to do the things the military can offer. If your driven to get your degree, then you will. maybe not immediatey but after your service.

I did the Corps then college. I can't say that I regret it at all.

Good luck

AmyG
07-19-06, 07:59 PM
Option 1 is to go to college as a civilian and then join, officer or enlisted.

Option 2. There are the Marine Reserves if you wanna go that route. Works basically the same as any other branch's reserves. You go through Recruit Training and your MOS training, and then you're stationed and you show up so often a month, while going to college.

There's also the Montgomery GI Bill and the Marine Corps College fund. These start the day you join and end the day you get out. Whatever you've accumulated will be slowly given to you. You can use this to pay for college once you're out. And from what I'm told, there's a lot there to be used since many don't use it.

There is also MECEP (a college program you apply for after you enlist), ROTC, and the Naval Academy. The Marine Corps will send you to college, nullifying any prior committment. The only thing with these is that once you graduate, you will be commissioned as an officer. If you don't want to be an officer, then you might not want this.

Lastly, most bases have some sort of educational program, like a college or night courses. You can enroll in these and earn college credits. It all depends on how much time you have. Plus it will take longer to get that bachelor's, or whatever it is you're shootin' for.

Basically, that's most of your options. I'm sure if you want more specific information, there are those here who have been there, done that, and can give you the details. In the end it is all up to you and what you're goals are. Just make sure you have everything straight before you join. And personally, I believe everyone should get some college, at least enough for a two year degree. Education is becoming more important in today's day, and it might be nice to be up with everyone else.

dscusmc
07-19-06, 08:39 PM
Try the base education offices. I know you want answers on ways to go to college while a Marine. That's a broad question though - you gotta ask the right questions to get the right answers. If you narrow the issue some, maybe we can help. Are you interested in programs or quality of life type issues? Feel free to shoot me any specific questions.

I took classes on active duty. Within days of hitting my first duty station, I signed up for college courses. You've got to pull the trigger on signing up as early as possible. SIEZE THE INITIATIVE. Otherwise, you get into a training schedule and it could be a while before you get around to signing up.

I also took classes while I was in the Reserves after I left active duty. So, I've been there and done that. I applied to the Naval Academy Prep School. I'm well aware of the USNA and MECEP application processes. I got my commission through PLC. So, I'm happy to share any info - but, help us out and be as specific as you can (I know its tough when you aren't sure of what's out there).

Here's a few starter links:

Camp Pendleton Education Office: http://www.pendleton.usmc.mil/cpao/pages/living/education.htm

Camp Lejune Education Office:
http://www.mccslejeune.com/oded_off_duty_ed.htm

I'll let you find the education offices for any other bases.

Also, the University of Maryland University College offers many classes and online courses.

http://www.umuc.edu/mil/mil_home.shtml

Also, many of the major university systems now offer distance education. I went to UT-San Antonio. I know the UT system has a "tele-campus."

If this was around when I joined, back in 1997, then I would have seriously considered this route. You can do most of your general undergrad classes this way.

http://www.telecampus.utsystem.edu/

Anyways, that's a start. I'm sure with a little creative researching you can figure out lots more. Good luck. LT C.

Gary Hall
07-19-06, 09:11 PM
Squish, I hope you follow the good advice of your parents. As a 75 year old high school drop out who joined the Marines I feel qualified to speak briefly. Life is all about minimizing waste, your time, resources and opportunities. And the sooner you come to this awareness the less suffering you will encounter. The Marines administer good medicine and they will find out quickly what you are made of and what ails you, and most of all, find a place for you. However, just going to college may or may not prepare you to cut your losses. Pick out a worthy one and stay away from those that do not support ROTC and the Military on campus, or at all. When you do go to college, work and study something useful and stay away from the undisciplined crowd. Not everything in College is worthy. Kindest regards, Gary Hall, Tyler, TX

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-19-06, 10:30 PM
Squish, the Marine Corps is not going to train you and then let you out of your obligation. You seemed to be hinting at that in the first post, and then you came right out and asked about it. I also don't know of any National Guard units that work that way. I know plenty of Guardsmen that go to college, but they're still responsible for making drill once a month, AT in the summer, and any deployments that come their way. We do have the same option, it is called the Reserves. If you want to be a Marine, you have to be a Marine. Every Marine here has had to make some sacrifice to serve. My father didn't talk to me for years after I enlisted because he thought I was making the wrong decision. Looking at my position now, he doesn't think that any more.

If you want to be a college kid, then go to college. You can wait to join the Marines, or become a reservist. If you want to be an Active Duty Marine, then do it. You can take a few classes as you go, and then complete your education later. The decision is yours, but you aren't going to get everything you want. Life is full of decisions, you're facing one here.

Squish
07-20-06, 06:48 PM
Thanks for all the help. =)

Squish
07-20-06, 06:51 PM
Squish, the Marine Corps is not going to train you and then let you out of your obligation. You seemed to be hinting at that in the first post, and then you came right out and asked about it. I also don't know of any National Guard units that work that way. I know plenty of Guardsmen that go to college, but they're still responsible for making drill once a month, AT in the summer, and any deployments that come their way. We do have the same option, it is called the Reserves. If you want to be a Marine, you have to be a Marine. Every Marine here has had to make some sacrifice to serve. My father didn't talk to me for years after I enlisted because he thought I was making the wrong decision. Looking at my position now, he doesn't think that any more.

If you want to be a college kid, then go to college. You can wait to join the Marines, or become a reservist. If you want to be an Active Duty Marine, then do it. You can take a few classes as you go, and then complete your education later. The decision is yours, but you aren't going to get everything you want. Life is full of decisions, you're facing one here.

It's not that I'm trying to get free Marine training, then leave and go about my way, I want to be a 100% full time Marine, I was just curious about what most Marines do about college.

Korling
07-20-06, 07:19 PM
My 2 cents, I enlisted and did college afterward. The 6 years I did on active duty were great...and after I got out I got an AA, a BA and a MA and now work at a university and teach at a comm college. I know for a fact that I did much better in my college courses because I was older, more mature and far more disciplined than if I had gone straight to college out of high school. The benefit of free education as an Illinois veteran wasn't bad either! You have to do it for you ultimately, so decide what you want and then go for it. There really isn't a correct way of doing it other than the one that you think is best for you.

marinepride
07-24-06, 03:24 PM
I guess I'll add my 2 cents as well. I got off active duty last September. I took a couple college courses on deployments. Wish I had taken more, but now I am starting Jr. College winter semester and using my Marine Corps College Fund to eventully get my degree in Electrical Engineering. It's gonna be hard since I have a full time job and a family; but the Corps has given me the discipline to do it.

Squish
07-24-06, 03:33 PM
I talked to a friend who comes from an Air Force family. He told me that if you do two years of college, 5 classes each semester, that you start out as an E-3 instead of an E-1. Does this work for the Marine Corps as well, or have a similar sort of deal?

Brooklyn
07-24-06, 03:44 PM
I talked to a friend who comes from an Air Force family. He told me that if you do two years of college, 5 classes each semester, that you start out as an E-3 instead of an E-1. Does this work for the Marine Corps as well, or have a similar sort of deal?

I think the advanced rank regs. vary by service. For instance, I almost joined the army and I would have been an E-3 because I had over 60 college credits. The Marine Corps on the other hand won't accept a single one of those credits so I get nothing.

I'm now enrolled in college so I can get 15 credit hours before shipping in Jan. and recieve the rank of E-2.

His_angel
07-24-06, 04:06 PM
Squish,

It all boils down to IF *you* want to go to college. I went to college for a year because everyone else wanted me to go. NOT because I wanted to go. Of course my joining the Marines went against what everyone else had planned for me.

I don't regret joining the Marine Corps. Some days I wonder where I'd be now though had I finished college. By the same token I also contemplate that I'd only be about 2 1/2 years from retirement had I stayed in the Corps.

You are the one that has to live with your decisions. Mommy and Daddy can give input but you're the one that has to live your life. And all of us here can give our 2 cents, opinions and various versions of life experiences. What was right for me may not be what is right for you. In the end you may not know what the right decision for you is or was until after you've set out on a course you're happy or unhappy with.

Angel

Squish
07-24-06, 09:02 PM
I think the advanced rank regs. vary by service. For instance, I almost joined the army and I would have been an E-3 because I had over 60 college credits. The Marine Corps on the other hand won't accept a single one of those credits so I get nothing.

I'm now enrolled in college so I can get 15 credit hours before shipping in Jan. and recieve the rank of E-2.

Why would the Marine Corps not except the 60 credits you have, buy will except the 15 your going to get before you leave?