PDA

View Full Version : Get Real on Gasoline Prices

thedrifter
07-16-06, 11:50 AM
Get Real on Gasoline Prices
July 15th, 2006

A new oil shock is underway. Turmoil in the Middle East is inevitably going to result in higher prices at the pump. On my morning bike ride, gas was 2.85 a gallon. On the way home, there were signs offering gas for 3.09, an increase of nearly a quarter.

My fellow Americans are going to have a conniption fit.

The reasons for that fit rest with a shameful confluence of economic ignorance on the part of consumers, fecklessness on the part of petroleum companies, and witless demagoguery by civic leaders. We who believe in the free market need to step up our efforts to counter this nonsense, or we’ll find ourselves in a pickle as political opportunists step in to regulate an important part of the economy.

First, there is the problem of ignorance. Friends and co-workers I talk to don’t understand anything about how a gallon of gas get to the local station. Conversations I’ve had with otherwise sensible people sound like the fevered ranting of conspiracy nuts. They genuinely believe that oil companies are colluding with each other and sticking it to the little guy.

About the only people getting rich off high oil prices are people who own the crude oil. Crude oil is sold much like selling items on EBay. If a bunch of people want Spiderman # 25, or a particular pattern of Jewel Tea earthenware, the price will go up and the owners of that commodity will make good money.

If your job is to refine crude oil or sell it retail at the corner gas station, your life isn’t so rosy. Gas comes from crude, which has to be refined. Crude oil producers, typically government controlled entities, don’t fix prices. Cartels like the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) don’t set costs on a barrel of crude, they set production levels on the amount of crude they allow to be pumped from the ground. Their goal is to keep the amount of crude in the worldwide system as limited as possible so that prices stay high. Collusion like this among producers would be illegal in the US under antitrust regulations, but since much of the oil rests below the soil of sovereign nations, there isn’t much to be done.

Refiners, who make fuel from crude, have to buy oil essentially at auction. They compete among themselves to buy batches of oil to turn into gas. Refiners have to buy tomorrows batch of oil from today’s revenue, so you can imagine they are pretty quick to raise prices when futures contracts start going up. Distributors and retailers are in the same sort of boat as refiners. They have to buy gas and diesel on a market where prices can go up and down. They too have to buy tomorrows fuel with today’s revenue. Both refiners, distributors and retailers run at low profit margins. It takes very little increase in the price of crude oil to turn profit into loss. For this reason, they have to pass the costs as quickly as possible to the consumer.

All this is exacerbated by the fact that the number of people who use gas is growing. India and China, two nations who have vastly larger populations than America, are making demands on the global supply of oil. Anytime you have increasing demand on a limited supply, you will have increased prices. There is no escaping this reality.

That said, my second point is aimed at oil companies. Oil companies provide a vital service to the US, but so far they have stood mute while being painted as robber-barons. If I ran an oil company, I’d make sure part of my marketing thrust included messages about supply, demand and the supply chain. Instead, they ply us with enviro-weenie commercials hawking what they do or the environment or their research into alternative fuels. Instead of putting up just the final retail price of gasoline at the filling station, I’d love to see a breakdown of all the costs per gallon, including the taxes. Politicians who browbeat them in public ought to be responded to in kind.

This brings to bear the third point. Even my home state’s Republican congressmen have made statements that demonstrate their ignorance about the energy industry. Jim Talent, who ought to know better, proposed regulating where domestic supplies of crude are allowed to be shipped. The fact that it is cheaper to ship Alaskan crude to Japan and import Mexican crude to refineries in Louisiana appears to be lost on him (oil tankers don’t run on fresh air and happy thoughts, you know). If his regulation would make crude more expensive by increasing shipping costs. In that event, guess who pays? Democrats decry the high prices of fuel, but then oppose domestic drilling that would increase the supply and lower prices.

The laws of supply and demand are immutable and may not be mocked. We have two choices. All the fuel we want at market prices, or limited supplies at regulated prices. The former may lead to more expensive fuel sometimes, but over the last several decades, prices have not been out of line with average inflation. The latter means gas shortages like those experienced during the Carter years, since uniformly low prices provide insufficient incentive to conserve or find alternatives among other unwelcome effects. Given the option between an economy governed by how much I’m willing to pay versus how long I’m willing to stand in line, I’ll take the former. I saw pictures of grown men standing in line for toilet paper in the Soviet Union. None for me, thanks.

We who do know better have to engage in these discussions, patiently explaining these two choices. Letting demagogues get away with exploiting American’s ignorance for their political gain will lead to increased regulation on an already heavily regulated industry, and will be all our undoing.

Tim McNabb is a web developer in St. Louis. His blog is on hiatus, but archives are available at the site.

Tim McNabb

Ellie

Zulu 36
07-16-06, 02:23 PM
Tim McNabb's article is Economics 101.

I read somewhere a rough breakdown of where the money in a gallon of gasoline goes.

The refiners/distributors get about 6-10 cents per gallon in profit (depending on how fast crude prices fluctuate on them). Also, the refiners have to pay increased production costs to make the enviro-nazis happy. California alone has something like five or six different blends required because some individual counties specify "enviromentally friendly" additives other places don't. So this adds money to the cost of a gallon before they can even tack on their profit.

Sure, the end numbers for the refiners look pretty darned impressive, but you also have to look at the quantity they are pushing through. 6 cents times billions of gallons does add up. But 6 cents on a gallon of $3.00 gasoline isn't much of a profit, is it? Especially when you consider that every lawyer and tree-hugger in the world is trying to sue or regulate them out of existance.

Gas station owners get about 8-10 cents margin per gallon max. Often lower because they are trying to be as competitive as possible in their locale. Note: margins are not profit and I didn't say PERcent.

Out of that margin comes their operating expenses, overhead, and other costs. Whatever remains is their profit and it can be very little. That is why gas stations also sell food, coffee, soda, snacks, etc. They make much, much more profit on those items than on the gasoline. One gas station owner I knew said that if actually made three cents profit on a gallon of gasoline he started to worry he might be accused of price gouging. Gas prices were under $2.00 per gallon then too.

Lets not forget the fuel distributors, many of whom are independent of the refineries. They get to add their margin to the mix too, a few cents per gallon.

Where do the big bucks go? First they go to the owners of the crude (often the government of another country). The next biggest chunk goes to our governments: local, state, and federal. Taxes can take 45 - 70 cents per gallon alone, depending on the state. I believe New York State has the higest per gallon tax costs in the US at nearly 70 cents per gallon.

So, it really doesn't take much of a mathematician to figure out who is really getting the big bucks out of the gasoline price deal.

But, I hear some cry, what about those oil companies that drill their own oil in the US and then refine it too. They don't pay $70 per barrel for that crude, do they? No they don't. But not all crude oil is suitable to be made into quality gasoline at reasonable production costs, and the price of US owned crude that is suitable is likely keeping us from paying $4.00 per gallon prices already. It merely dilutes the price of foreign crude a little.

Let's break down that $70 per barrel crude price. A "barrel" is considered to be 42-US gallons. So that means $70 crude costs $1.67 per gallon. Wow! that's already nearly half the price of $3.00 per gallon gasoline! BUT, that is before it is even turned into gasoline. Unsurprisingly (to me anyway), a 42-gallon barrel of crude does not equal 42-gallons of gasoline.

Normally only about 19.5 gallons of gasoline are refined from a single barrel of crude. Other fuels such as diesel, kerosene, av gas, other fuels, plus essentially useless waste products take up the remainder. Oddly, they can usually get 44-gallons of stuff out of 42-gallons of crude. Unfortunately, that two extra gallons isn't necessarily useful product. Think of oil refineries and the big tall pipes with flames coming out, burning up the useless waste gasses.

One other point I want to make about the cost of governmental regulations placed on gasoline, and on the supply of gasoline too. Last year after Hurricane Katrina, there was great concern over the supply of gasoline that came from Gulf of Mexico crude platforms destroyed or put out of service by the storm. President Bush came along a put a few week moratorium on EPA regulations. Guess what? Gas supply INCREASED and prices DECREASED. How could that happen? It cost the oil companies less money to make the non-"enviro friendly" fuels and they could make more of it from the same quantity of crude because less waste product was created. Damned funny how that works out, eh?

Economics 101 strikes again.

Reference: http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/infosheets/crudeproduction/.htm

outlaw3179
07-16-06, 03:53 PM
Ok so I guess I still dont understand how oil companies are putting up record profits.

Zulu 36
07-16-06, 05:37 PM
The American based oil companies work within a free market. We, the consumers, freely decide whether or not the oil companies make money by buying their product or not. The more we want, the less of the product there is, thus prices increase as the oil companies ramp up production to meet the demand. This is because their production costs increase (to re-start a cracking tower, pay overtime to refinery staff, contract additional shipping to bring in more crude, etc).

This supply and demand concept is literally the very first class of Econ 101 as everything in a free market revolves around it.

The oil companies (or any other business) do not absorb the cost of doing business, the purchaser of their product does. If they did, bankruptcy will follow. See Enron (Enron failed due to poor management, but compounded by crooked accounting to cover-up the stupid management).

As I said, the oil companies may only make 6-10 cents profit per gallon, but if we raise demand, that 6-10 cents starts adding up still more. Despite the pump price increases on gasoline, American demand has actually increased. So simple math tells us if the oil companies used to put out (say) one billion gallons of gas per month, but now put out 1.1 billion gallons because of increased demand, that means 100 million more gallons at 6-10 cents worth of profit (or we'll call it $12 million more profit at just the 6 cents per gallon rate). It adds up fast and they don't have to change their profit margins a bit. If they find a cost savings of one cent per gallon somewhere in the process (say being able to legally eliminate an EPA regulation or two), this increases the profit margin to 7 cents without increasing the price of gas and adds $2 million more to the monthly kitty.

But remember, we're actually dealing with much bigger numbers here. I kept the math simple so my calculator wouldn't burn up. :-)

Are the oil companies looking for ways to increase their profits within the market prices? Sure, I would hope so. Remember who owns these publicly traded oil companies. Stockholders. Who are stockholders? We are, all of us, not just rich people getting richer. Many unions (including teachers, UAW, municipalities) and other company pension plans have heavy stock holdings in energy companies. How many of you have oil company stocks in your personal 428 plans? I know individuals who own some oil stocks in non-retirement portfolios and they are not "rich people." Much of that "profit" actually returns to those of us who have direct or indirect stock holdings either in the form of dividends or profit on sales of stock.

I do not own stock in any oil company personally, however, my former employer (a municipality) does have oil company stocks as part of their entire pension plan investment portfolio. Thus some of my retirement money comes from oil company profits. Hey, thanks America! Keep on truckin' on!

How do we cut the price of gasoline? Only two ways. One is to reduce the demand for fossil fuels through nuclear energy or other methods. The second is to reduce the price per barrel of crude. This can be done by reduced demand, or by obtaining a cheaper source, such as increased crude production within the US, getting a large OPEC producer to under-cut the rest significantly, or by nuking all of the other oil producing nations and taking over their oil fields ourselves.

That last option is rather drastic and has other problems (radioactivity in the fields being one), but we must be honest - it is an option albeit a poor one. I would rather see an increase in nuclear energy use combined with other forms of reduced demand on the oil producing nations. They will bring their prices down in order to sell their product.

Is crude oil over priced? Not according to the law of supply and demand in a free market. We have to change one axis or the other in our favor to force a price reduction.

I strongly recommend anyone wanting to learn more about how economics works to go to the web sites of the following two economics professors, Dr. Walter Williams and Dr. Thomas Sowell. The vast majority of their articles on economics are written for the average person, not nerdy business idiots like me. They also write on a great deal of other societal topics such as race relations, affirmative action, and current events. Dr. Williams in particular oftens writes in a very humorous, self-effacing manner. The are both very pro-American and very pro-US military.

Dr Williams: http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/wew

Dr Sowell: http://www.tsowell.com