PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Marine Corps evaluate recruits

thedrifter
07-16-06, 09:59 AM
U.S. Marine Corps evaluate recruits

By JONA ISON
Gazette Staff Writer

Marine recruitment in Chillicothe is good.

For 16 months, the local recruitment office in Circleville has been a top, and the top in the district, recruiting substation, according to recruiter Sgt. Brandon Hampston.

"Our quota is not even a contest anymore," he said.

Although approaching people he doesn't know is sometimes challenging, opening young eyes to the feeling of being in the Marine Corps., which Hampston estimates as the "best feeling in the world," is very rewarding for him.

Saturday, he and recruiters from five other area offices (North Columbus, South Columbus, Eastgate, Dayton, Xenia) brought together their "poolees," recruitment candidates, to compete and get to know one another. The event, which included push-up, pull-up and running competitions as well as dizzy izzy and wheelbarrow-type competition, is structured to give recruits a taste of boot camp and expose him to others who may join them at boot camp.

The poolee events are conducted monthly but only occasionally involve such a large-scale group. The event help Hampston, a Lancaster native, evaluate how much his poolees want to be a Marine by how many event they attend.

Recent Unioto High School graduates John Imler and Michael Aker have attended every event since committing to the Marines a year ago. Having and gaining the respect of others is a big factor in their Marine aspirations.

"The respect we getis going to be worth it (the hard work)," Imler said.

Imler hopes to make a career out of his commitment, especially considering he could retire by 38.

"If things go well, I might make a career out of it. So many things could happen. It's hard to tell. It's a good opportunity," he said.

For Aker, who helped recruit Imler as Hampston's top senior candidate at Unioto, the Marines will give him a chance to learn what it is he wants to do with his life.

Zane Trace senior JD Vickers is just getting started with the Marines and poolee events. He signed up in June and the event Saturday was his second.

"I want to be the best I can be. Get self discipline, get experience for work after the Marine Corps. ... I like it. I think it's a good way to get poolees ready for boot camp," he said.

For Hampston, he enjoys the chance at being an example for his young recruits, teaching them to stand taller and take pride in being a Marine, even if it is a Marine in training because they all deserve equal respect.

"I like knowing that I went through some of the hardest training in the world," he said.

Contact U.S. Marines

1226 N. Court St.

Circleville, OH 43113

(740)474-1984

www.marines.com

(Ison can be reached at 772-9367 or via e-mail at jison@nncogannett.com)

Originally published July 16, 2006

Ellie