PDA

View Full Version : MCAS Quantico

ERICUSMC
07-15-06, 10:06 AM
Having just finished up a lengthy project on "Marine Corps PBJ Accidents and Incidents" which I donated to the History Division at Quantico, I am off on another Marine Research Project that I thought some of you might be able to help me with!
I am researching the early years of Aviation a MCAS Quantico when Props and Rotors were king. Would of any of you Marines have photos or stories to tell about your time at Quantico? Any members of AES-12,SOES,BAD-1 or any of the other early Squadrons? Photos are especially desired? Any aviators out there work on the JRB-2,SBC-4,RD-2,RdD3,R4D,SNJ,F7F,R8D,C-117,OE-1,OY's or other prop jobs or Helocopters?
I started out as a Powerplant mechanic and plane Captain on T-28B and C models at SOES Quantico in 74-75 and then went to HMX-1 greenside as a CH-46E Crew Chief and mechanic.Ended up my time working on CH-46D's at Santa Anna/El Toro. Any help is appreciated and I always share my research with the History Division so our Marine Aviation History is preserved for future generations. Semper fi!

dkinfrared
01-10-07, 09:03 PM
Great to see soes and t-28 and c117 in writing.
At quantico 67 to 69. HYD Shop and ENG.
e-mail dennis@dkinfrared.com
Semper Fi

drumcorpssnare
01-11-07, 07:21 AM
I have a rather poor quality photo-copy of what appears to be a Curtiss bi-plane, circa 1917, which I was told was the first aircraft to ever land at Brown Field, Quantico. It shows a number of Marines posed with the plane, on of whom is my grandfather.
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

BAH6413
05-28-13, 02:47 PM
Served as a reciprocating engine mechanic in both in AES-12 and SOES. From 61-64 great duty station. Worked on and flew in most of the aircraft mentioned. Speaking of accidents I remember the SATS runway installed by SEA- BEES (an amazing group) for the squadron of A4-D's They had a Douglas Skyraider A? from Cherry Point do the first landing with all the big wigs watching. Unfortunately it crashed and burned. No one hurt Thank God! Also lost a T-28 when some **** Bird didn't fasten the Dzues fasteners and the cowling came off went in the drink. It was a great experience the enlisted, NCO's and Officers were all first class. Not excluding the pilots that got there flight time from the base Junior and Senior schools. That was a shining example of the USMC. All of us served our country with honor. Semper Fi