PDA

View Full Version : Marine of the Year--Brenham's Joseph Wells earns prestigious honor

thedrifter
07-15-06, 07:21 AM
Marine of the Year--Brenham's Joseph Wells earns prestigious honor

A graduate of Brenham High School and Blinn College is now earning honors from the U.S. Marines.

Cpl. Joseph Wells from Marine Helicopter Squadron 1 was named “Marine of the Year” at the Corps' facility in Quantico.

Wells is the son of Donna Hammons of Brenham.

Also honored as Noncommissioned Officer of the year was Sgt. Edwin A. Padilla Jr. Both are assigned to HMX-1's security force.

“We are proud to have two of our own Quantico Marines to achieve such titles,” said Col. James M. Lowe, commander of the base. “Everyone here should strive to be more like these Marines for what they have accomplished and for what they have done for the Marine Corps.”

The highly competitive selection process that the two Marines endured included facing a panel of sergeant majors who judged them on military knowledge, personal appearances, records of physical fitness, military presence and bearing.

During the ceremony the two Marines were recognized by members of Quantico community for their achievements.

Wells made it a point to include his accomplishments as part of his faith.

“There was a lot of knowledge to study and a lot of things that I had to do to compete for such a title,” Wells said. “It was stressful and difficult but I owe a lot of my accomplishments to faith.

“Something that I always remember is a verse from Psalms 37 ... ‘Delight thyself also in the Lord; and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart.'”

Ellie