PDA

View Full Version : Expecting Good Things

thedrifter
07-14-06, 03:56 PM
Expecting Good Things
by Lt. Robert Jones
Headquarters Battalion Chaplain
July 14, 2006

The essence of true disappointment is when we expect good things. Disappointment makes a grand entrance into our day and into our lives, when we least expected it to. What is it that makes disappointment so insufferably aggravating? Is it when people do not live up to their position, job title or billet description? Or is it when circumstances and things that are beyond our control take a turn in a direction that we hoped it wouldn't? All things being equal, we can find ourselves in the midst of a sorrowful moment, when what we expected to happen didn't and what we needed didn't arrive in time and what we wanted, simply wasn't.

When the forecast is bleak and the overcast is haze gray with no light at the end of the tunnel, we must face facts and we must act. Decisions have to be made and moves must be executed, as this is the essence of our true leadership and our truest selves. If we allow the unhallowed and painfully frustrating moments to overtake us, then we truly have given in to the forces without. Amazingly, it is the forces within that will determine the outcome, ultimately. If we succumb to mediocrity and prefer the laissez faire approach to leadership, not only does morale plummet into doldrums and disillusionment but the future leaders among us, may choose other venues.

What a blessed and golden opportunity to show the stuff of real leadership. What a great set of circumstances to distinguish ourselves with gallantry and sustained superior performance in the face of what opposes us. We can achieve, succeed and go on nicely.

I believe we have excellent faith resources to assist us in the journey that can helpfully and hopefully lead us through the valley of death's shadow and take us higher to the good things that we can all thankfully receive and gracefully accept. I propose 3 possibilities.

Possibility #1 is faith. Faith is real. Faith is tangible and faith makes something out of nothing, even when I don't believe it myself. Possibility #2 is hope. Hope allows us to grasp the invisible and make it seem so real, that just talking about it stirs our heart to its realness and the reality of good on the way. Possibility #3 is love. Love is the great equalizer of all living. Life can take so many drastic turns and unexpected ends that we need a real platform and a firm foundation. Love is just that. Stand on love, stay in love and when the expected becomes unexpected and nothing good happens, we look through the lenses of faith, hope and love. We can see God's strength was with us the whole time.