PDA

View Full Version : MOS 0341 Mortarman

Warrior07
07-13-06, 10:23 AM
Hi I want to become a Marine in the near future and I want to either be a 0311 Rifleman or 0341 Mortarman. I know what a Rifleman does...every Marine is a Rifleman. Can someone tell what being a Mortarman is all about? I know they shot mortars, but do they do more than that? Are there any mortarman here I can talk to by e-mail or something? Any info PLEASE!!!

Brooklyn
07-13-06, 10:28 AM
There is no either or. The Marine Corps will choose which MOS you get, fyi.

kovanfleet
07-13-06, 11:54 AM
from what i herd alot of runnin around carrying a heavy morter tube or base plate.

Osotogary
07-13-06, 01:16 PM
Warrior07-
Try this link.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/0341.htm
You can also go to usmc.mil andd search for "mortar". I believe, if you do so, you will have the option of looking at photographs or the written material related to those pictures. (Sorry if I am not specific..it has been awhile since I visited usmc.mil)
My son was with the 81's for a while with base plates and all in the Sierra Nevada's and Afghanistan; both times during the winter months.
Good luck.
Gary

Warrior07
07-13-06, 02:14 PM
Thank You Very Much

mrbsox
07-13-06, 05:12 PM
As I recall; :flag:

8 guns to a platoon (yes... it's a GUN)
4 SECTIONS, 2 guns per section (4x2=8)
2 Squads (gun teams) per section
Section Leader; Sgt; works with the FDC, Plt Sgt and Lt.
Squad (gun) Leader; Cpl; carries the sight, commands the team, receives and relays fire mission commands
Gunner; LCpl to Cpl. Carries the bipod, lays the mortar to firing point
Bi-Pod was 42 lbs when I was hauling that Bit.....
A/Gunner; PFC to LCpl, carries the tube, actually drops the round to fire the mortar.
Tube was 28 lbs
1st and 2nd Ammo men; carry the base plate, aiming stakes, and everything else you can pile on them. Haul and prepare the ammo for firing.
3rd and 4th Ammo men (if your lucky), same as above.

As for what you do...

"WHAT YOUR FKn TOLD MAGGOT". :evilgrin:
You're still carring a rifle, because you're a Marine (if you get that far). You'll do patrols, perimeter guard, et al, when not manning the gun. Did I mention the gun pit is an 8 foot circle, 2 to 3 feet deep, THAT YOU DIG !!

60 mm or 81 mm.
60mm is at COMPANY level, so your on the hoof with the 0311's. Generally in support role, you'd be located close to the company C.P. You can be detached directly to a Platoon.
81mm is at BATALLION level, so generally close to the Bn. C.P. The 81mm Mortar section(s) can be detached directly to the line company for a direct support role, giving the Company C.O. greater fire power and range.

I don't think they still do the '4deuce' (4.2 inch), it was Regimental level support.

And then there is;
F.O.; Forward Observer or 'spotter'
F.D.C.; Fire Direction Center. Translates the fire request into data for the gun team to 'aim' with.
Ammo NCO; makes sure you have your 3 Bs (beans, bullets, bandaids)

But that was 30 odd years ago.
Whom's got the up to date poop ??

mortar-E-4
07-15-06, 02:50 AM
You said it all brother! Except no more 4-DEUCE, im to new breed to even know what that is! well good luck Warrior, MRBSOX said it all.

:usmc:

Warrior07
07-15-06, 07:45 AM
Thanks alot everyone