PDA

View Full Version : Just a couple of questions

young_dog19
12-28-02, 07:15 PM
I've been considering joining the Marines for some time now, but have had some questions. I am told that I should be in the Air Force, because it is easy. The bad thing is that I don't qualify for the only job I could possibly want, Public Affairs. I want to walk my own path, and I think the Marines could give me what I need: maturity, self-discipline, and a fresh outlook on life. All I would like is a little advice on the subject. Thanks.

thedrifter
12-28-02, 07:43 PM
Alot of your questions can be answered if you read the posts in this section............
Also recommend that you read my posts titled: "The Eagle and the Wolf" and "Marine Corps Core Values"...........................

The Drifter

03Infantry
12-29-02, 12:55 AM
You want to be in the airforce? That is fine for some but don't do it because it is easy. Think of it this way the harder it is the better the reward in the end. Airforce boys spend almost all their times in classrooms. And who doesn't want to be called a MARINE? OORAH 4 more months and bootcamp here I come!!!

wrbones
12-29-02, 01:29 AM
Go back and read the posts in the Poolee Hall forums and Marine Mentor forums. You might see that there's a lot more to being a Marine than you might think. You'll be spending a lot more time in classrooms than you might think.

I'm talking to both of you!

Drifter already said it, and 03 wannabe infantry ignored that.

We have most of your answers already posted there and dozens, if not hundreds of links to other information. Spend a little time not bein' lazy and do some readin' would ya?

If you do that, you might see that there are a few Recruiters who have posted contact information as well.

You will also see a few references to Chesty Puller. He was known to spend a little bit of time in classrooms here and there throughout his career. Not to mention the independent study and research he did as well. Marines are knowledgeable and you will be expected to have some knowledge and skill and a basic understanding of the political environment when going in front of a promotion board. Marines aren't ignorant. We know what we're doing and why....because we spent some time here and there in clasrrooms learning.....

Good luck in yer goal.

Becoming a part of the best fighting force that ever existed.

The United States Marine Corps.

Bones

Barndog
12-29-02, 05:29 AM
The Marine Corps doesn't want a buncha no rate morons. They want intelligent, physically fit, mentally sharp people.
Why? Cause if you want to just get a job, go to work at a gas station.
If you want something that less than 1% of the total population of this country has ever earned-
Then I suggest joining the Marine Corps.

After that, you have to make the grade like WE did.

young_dog19
12-29-02, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by 03Infantry
You want to be in the airforce? That is fine for some but don't do it because it is easy. Think of it this way the harder it is the better the reward in the end. Airforce boys spend almost all their times in classrooms. And who doesn't want to be called a MARINE? OORAH 4 more months and bootcamp here I come!!!

No, no, no... I was told that I should be in the air force, by my family, because they don't think I could be a Marine. They think I'm just some smart kid with no physical prowess; and I have proved them wrong, time and time again... But anyways, I have decided against the air force, besides, I would not be happy with what I was doing.

To quote a friend of mine: "People only do things because they want to. If they didn't, what reason would be there to live?"

Thanks for the advice!

03Infantry
12-29-02, 03:29 PM
YOUR FAMILY SAYS THAT NOW BUT WHEN YOU COME BACK FROM THE MARINES THEY WILL THINK DIFFERENTLY. PROVE THEM WRONG

young_dog19
12-29-02, 07:04 PM
I may have to do that. I love proving them wrong anyway! That's one of the reasons I'm on my school's debate team!! Thanks again!

Sparrowhawk
12-29-02, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by young_dog19
...I want to walk my own path...

Sounds like the Army might be what you are looking for, but you might have a long wait, since they have only an Army of one, and he's walking his own path right now.

Marines, do not walk their own paths, they are a team, that joined the Corps to defend our country, to wreak havoc and chaos upon our enemies, to destroy, not to to build public affairs

The only Public Affairs, Marines are not suited for, is with women folks...

young_dog19
12-29-02, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by young_dog19
I've been considering joining the Marines for some time now, but have had some questions. I am told that I should be in the Air Force, because it is easy. The bad thing is that I don't qualify for the only job I could possibly want, Public Affairs. I want to walk my own path, and I think the Marines could give me what I need: maturity, self-discipline, and a fresh outlook on life. All I would like is a little advice on the subject. Thanks.

"I want to walk my own path" - what I meant was that I don't want to take the path my family is pressuring me to take, because it's happened all my life. And I'm sick of it. I don't care how easy something is, I just want to mature as a person and develop my skills to a better degree.