PDA

View Full Version : MC Trivia

22DevilPup87
12-28-02, 02:26 PM
There were two trivia questions asked on another forum I frequent. I've spent hours searching for the answers with no luck. Maybe ya'll can help.

Marine Corps Trivia Questions:
How many nails are there on the bottom of the dress shoes, and what do they represent?

What about the belt loops on the blues trousers?

wrbones
12-28-02, 02:56 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=965&highlight=uniform+history

22DevilPup87
12-28-02, 03:22 PM
Thank you, Bones.

jbavol
01-15-03, 01:39 PM
There are 7 belt loops and they represent the 7 seas. At least that's what my DI told me at PI.

22DevilPup87
01-15-03, 02:54 PM
Thank you, jbavol.

leroy8541
01-15-03, 05:40 PM
Are there nails on the bottom of the shoes ? I'll have to look and see but I'll bet they are there to keep the soles on the shoe the bigger the sole the more nails it takes. heres a question how many trucks are on a Marine Corp base? what's in the trucks?

22DevilPup87
01-15-03, 06:24 PM
Time for more research. I'll come back in a couple hours (or days, depending how long it takes) with the answer.

leroy8541
01-15-03, 06:26 PM
believe it or not I was asked this question on a merritorious promotion board one time

22DevilPup87
01-15-03, 06:36 PM
Did you know the answer and get promoted?

wrbones
01-15-03, 06:37 PM
LOL @ Leroy8541. Yep. You never know what they're gonna ask on those boards!

They just wanta see how yer gonna act 'under pressure.'

22DevilPup87
01-15-03, 06:38 PM
That's random trivia information. Though I'm sure it'd come in handy eventually (and may even get ya promoted) the information sure is hard to find.

leroy8541
01-15-03, 06:50 PM
I was given a heads up by Gunny Koon in a hip pocket class. the answer to the first part of the question is one, the big brass globe on the top of division flagpole now lets hear whats in it.

DevilPup2004
01-15-03, 09:38 PM
OK, Jess, since I saw that you worked, here ya go:

The 7 belt loops representing the 7 seas is correct.

There are (or so I've been told) 9 nails on the bottom of the shoes, representing the 9 enlisted rank.

And let me take a stab at the trucks thing: There's one truck aboard a MCB. It has to do with a flagpole. Isn't a truck part of the pully system at the top of the pole that raises the flags?

Edit: So much for attention to detail. Now that I've reread the post just before mine... I still thought it was part of the pully system, though, and had I beat the Corporal to posting, that would've been my answer.

leroy8541
01-15-03, 10:32 PM
after your post, the truck is actually the upper part of the pully system attatched to the ball good work very knowlegable i am very impressed I haven't found proof of whats inside the ball but according to legend and the board. the ball contains 1-pack of matches 1- .45 caliber round of ammunition 1-razor blade 1-set of instructions on disposal of the flag in case the base is overrun.
Now then next question what to do with the flag when the the base has not been overrun but is in dire straits? Meaning it is immenent that the base is going to be over run but there is still hope.

Earle Comstock
01-15-03, 11:14 PM
Oh yea , where do you get a box of grid squares ?

Earle Comstock
01-15-03, 11:15 PM
How about a can of back blast ?

Barrio_rat
01-16-03, 02:01 AM
Okay... First off, the .45 ACP Round has been replaced with a 9 mm.

As to the question of what to do with the flag when you are in dire straits and there is still hop?

Turn it up-side-down - Sign of distress.

wrbones
01-16-03, 02:07 AM
My first thought was fifty foot of flight line, but I knew LeRoy had a good thing workin'. I like it. One way to take control of the kid's posts and keep it from gettin' silly!

Take them to school! Teach them somethin'.

Well done Marine.

Earle Comstock
01-16-03, 02:17 AM
Is that like , there really is such a thing as a bunghole and a bung wrench?

Barrio_rat
01-16-03, 03:06 AM
Well, we used a 'dog wrench' .. no joke.

How much pnuematic fluid will fit in a zip-lok baggie?

And.. don't forget your I.D. TEN T Form...

A stretch of Shore Line will go a long way.

Prop Wash will clean just about anything!

Earle Comstock
01-16-03, 03:41 AM
Now I think we're getting somewhere . Any more , Marines , for the poolee's of course . I wonder which book they will find that in . Maybe a trip to motor pool ? You got to love it , it's harmless LOL .

Semper Fi , Do Or Die
Cpl Commie
:rambo: Kill A Commie For Mommy :rambo:
Be Good To Yourself And Respect Your Elders :cool:
Death And Destruction Professionally , USMC

Earle Comstock
01-16-03, 04:02 AM
your already bringing back some good memories Barrio , Thanks

Barrio_rat
01-16-03, 11:58 AM
Once sent a new guy to get the keys for the 5 Ton (6 X)...

Once spoke with an AF guy.. they'd send their boot Lt's out after the keys to the aircraft... Gotta love it!

Barrio_rat
01-16-03, 12:12 PM
Okay... here's some real trivia (that ain't so trivial).

By now, most of ya know why Marines are called Devil Dogs and where that took place. However, where that battle occured had a name change - because of that battle - what is it called today? (hint, there is a post with the answer on this site)

What were Marines called during the Korean War? What was the phrase used by the North Koreans referring to the Marines? What change in uniform standards did Marines make because of this?

How many Marines were needed to take Tripoli? Why?

Barrio_rat
01-18-03, 11:39 AM
Okay, y'all asked for trivia and now, when you get it, ya don't answer? hmmmmmm

Well, if'n y'all ain't gonna look it up, neither will I. I'm going off the top of my head here - so let's see how I do. Please add any corrections that may be needed.

Belleau Wood (Bois de Belleau) is where the Marines earned the title Devil Dogs (at least, according to USMC history and lore). This was in WW I. The French, because of this historic battle, renamed the this area Bois de la Brigade de Marine or Wood of the Marine Brigade. You can get the full history/story here:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1345&highlight=Belleau+Wood

Uniforms for the Army and Marines, for a time, used leggings. A leather or canvas strap with laces to hold the pant legs to the boot or boondockers (a low cut boot used by Marines - this boot is still authorized for senior Staff NCO's in the USMC). It was light brown or yellow in color. The North Koreans called the Marines "Yellow Legs" and the phrase used was, "Beware of the Yellow Legs" or "No fight the Yellow Legs." After the fight to save the Pusan perimiter, the North Koreans evaded the Marines in every battle. Because of this, the Marines removed their leggings so as to confuse the North Koreans and to engage them in battle. Here's a couple sites to check out:

http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/archives/041102pusan.htm

http://www.marzone.com/dog2~7/Hist-1.htm

To the last question. I believe it was 3 or 4 Marines. Lt. Leslie O'Bannan (sp?) and 3 Marines took Tripoli. This is an honest statement and has many wondering how only 3 or 4 Marines could take such a fortress. Well, they had a little help. 1 or 2 thousand Arabs were under thier command. So, while it is true that a handful of Marines took Tripoli, they did not do it alone. This goes to the leadership abilities that Marines instill in their ranks. A lot can be said for what a USMC officer and his Marines can accomplish when they set thier minds to complete a mission.

If y'all want more trivia/history, just ask. I'll post again... but I'll expect answers - This is about OUR history, not about me wasting my time.

marinemom
01-18-03, 02:36 PM
I hate to disagree with Barrio_rat. but the total of US Marines was 9, which was comsidered to be a company at that time.

Check it out at the following site:
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Harbor/2858/articles/marines.htm

wrbones
01-18-03, 03:25 PM
YEAH! Thrash him MOM!

Ya gonna tell him how many miles they covered thru the desert to attack the rear of the fortress just in time ? I think he has his 'native troops' numbers wrong as well.

Ah, well. Life is! LOL.

Barrio_rat
01-18-03, 05:17 PM
Well... First off, I appreciate the correction. I do not like to spread disinformation. Now that it's locked away, that error will never occure again. As far as the number of 'troops' - it has been a while and, if you read it, I did not state it as fact but as something I recall. I did do research on this subject a number of years ago for a college paper. If I remember correctly, it was about 1,000 - though, I have not looked for this information recently and it could be an error. The only part, of all the answers to those 'trivia' questions that I did look up was on Belleau Wood and that was for spelling purposes. I looked up the other stuff on the search engine so that I could place references for those who would want to get more detail on the subject.

Bones, let me know how many troops were used with the Marines at Tripoli, I'd like to know.

As stated before, I welcome anyone who can elaborate and/or correct anything that I state on history - and most any other subject.

Y'all have a great day. It's my break and it's about over!

mardet65
01-18-03, 05:47 PM
Anyone know where a wall stretcher can be found???

mardet65
01-18-03, 05:55 PM
Hey Rat:
You did good...but as you can see I got here too late to answer the one on the "Yellow Legs".

leroy8541
01-18-03, 06:27 PM
mardet I think you can buy those down at at Lowes can't you?

marinemom
01-18-03, 07:26 PM
Bones, it was a 600 mile march across the Libyan desert, led by Lt. Presley O'Bannion. Approximately 400 Greek mercenaries were included in the force - and if I remember right, it was a total force of almost 1,000 - led by 9 Marines.

Between husbands ( lost one during Nam and married a second Marine) and son, I think I might have learned some Corps history -and it is a history to be proud of.

By the way, I posted this one on another site, but I'll ask it again -we know that the Mameluke sword came to the Corps by way of a 'thank you' gift to Presley O'Bannion. O'Bannion also led the first foreign fighting force - AGAIN Marines - to land in Egypt in centuries.

There is one important thing we do not know about Lt. Presley O'Bannion. What is it? And why don't we know it?

leroy8541
01-18-03, 08:13 PM
I don't know why we don't know it but Lt. Presley O'bannion was a master mason, maybe because the masons are kind of a secretive society?

leroy8541
01-18-03, 08:19 PM
In January 1805, Lt. O’Bannon, in command of a marine detachment consisting of one sergeant and six privates, joined Eaton’s allied force at Alexandria, Egypt. This motley hoarde of 500 mercenaries and soldiers of fortune then began an
Source: Walter Chisholm

overland expedition against Derne. There, on 27 April 1805, with bombardment support provided by Hornet, Nautilus, and Argus, Lt. O’Bannon led his force through a hail of musketry and stormed the principal edifices. The enemy was routed in such haste that they left their guns loaded and primed. Lt. O’Bannon planted the United States flag upon the ramparts, then turned the guns upon the enemy. The stronghold was occupied after some two hours of hand-to-hand fighting, and for the first time in history the flag of the United States flew on foreign soil.

leroy8541
01-18-03, 08:28 PM
he was also a senator fom kentucky

marinemom
01-18-03, 08:51 PM
Good try, leroy. No cigar on those answers, tho.

Barrio_rat
01-18-03, 09:21 PM
See, this is fun for me. Ya learn something about your (our) past. Helps for guidence in the future. Thanks MOM, you're a source of inspiration here. Good to know that some who have not worn the uniform still honor the customs, traditions and history.

And, while I do consider myself fairly knowlegable in Marine Corps history and lore, I do not know the answer to your question. I may have to do like Bones and go on a research hunt. That is, if FOOTBALL don't get in the way!

mardet65
01-19-03, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by leroy8541
mardet I think you can buy those down at at Lowes can't you?

You probably can Leroy. But I screwed up; after 35+ years thinking like a civilian I typed wall stretcher instead of bulkhead stretcher. I'm surprised no one called me on that rookie mistake.

marinemom
01-19-03, 08:07 AM
Thanks, Barrio_rat. But, even tho I did not wear the uniform, I did have "the toughest job in the Corps" lol - anyone need shirts ironed with the pleats?

Down to business - anyone got the answer?

leroy8541
01-19-03, 01:34 PM
back to the drawing board time to go on a search for knowledge.

marinemom
01-21-03, 07:12 PM
Ok, 3 days and no one has the answer to my Presley O'Bannion question, so here you go - and check it out.

The correct birthdate for him is unknown - all that is known is the year of his birth - 1760 - even his tombstone displays only the date of his death. His birthdate is blank on the headstone.

Next one for you gentlemen - why do we call a blouse a blouse?

Barrio_rat
01-21-03, 07:39 PM
Well, I did a Google search for Lt. Pressley O'Bannon and came up with little to nothing. What I did find though, was that a destroyer had been named after him. Here's part of it:

“The history of the Pacific war,” wrote Admiral Halsey, “can never be written without telling the story of the USS O’Bannon,” leading all American destroyers in World War II with 17 battle stars earned. Named for the “hero of Derne” whose 1805 exploit is commemorated by the phrase “to the shores of Tripoli” in the Marine Corps Hymn, the second O’Bannon, DD (later DDE) 450, was laid down at Bath (Maine) Iron Works as the second destroyer of the 175-ship Fletcher class. Launched and commissioned in 1942, she went directly to the South Pacific where, during the Battle of Guadalcanal (13 November), she boldly attacked the Japanese battleship Hiei and other warships at short range before retiring safely.

Here's the site, in case any of you are interested. Very interesting.

http://www.domeisland.com/ussobannon/

Barrio_rat
01-21-03, 07:43 PM
Hopefully MOM gives us the answer, this is taking a while and I'd like to know.

Here's another bit of trivia for y'all...

List what is significant about the Marine's Hymn. There are several things here and one could take it to a broad extreme. I am, however, looking for 3 specific items of importance.

Good luck and Semper Fi!

leroy8541
01-21-03, 08:12 PM
On the blouse question are we talking about the "shirt" or the way we wear our trousers? you know with the trouser blouses.

leroy8541
01-21-03, 08:23 PM
It has been changed three times since originally written

leroy8541
01-21-03, 09:31 PM
Blouse- french origin meaning shirt or coat without tails for boys
I still haven't figured out why the boot bands are called blouses

marinemom
01-22-03, 06:15 AM
Got the root language right, leroy.

Not the one I'm looking for though - keep on the French and you'll probably get it.

marinemom
01-22-03, 06:30 AM
Te most famous starting line in music was taken from an inscription on the Marine Corps Colours. Following the war with the Barbary Pirates in 1805, when Lieutenant P.N. O'Bannon and his small force of Marines participated in the capture of Derne and hoisted the American flag for the first time over a fortress of the Old World, the Colors of the Corps was inscribed with the words: "To the Shores of Tripoli." After the Marines had participated in the capture and occupation of Mexico City and the Castle of Chapultepec, otherwise known as the "Halls of Montezuma," the words on the Colors were changed to read: "From the Shores of Tripoli to the Halls of Montezuma."

The melody for the Hymn is thought to be based on an aria from the comic opera "Genevieve de Brabant" by Jaques Offenbach, first heard in the 1870s in Paris. Although there are some folks who think it was based on an old Spanish folk song.

On November 21, 1942, the Commandant of the Marine Corps approved a change in the words of the fourth line, first verse, to read, "In air, on land, and sea." This was done to recognize the Marine aviators of the Pacific Theater in WWII.

The Corps did not receive the copyright to the Hymn until 1991 - sounds late I know, but that is when it was done. And in was not until 1992 that the Commandant recognized the verses we know today as the "official" Hymn.

Barrio_rat
01-23-03, 09:48 PM
Wow, in-depth!

Sorry, MOM, missed yer answer. We must have been on at the same time - I was in here and searchin at the same time when I posted.

Anyway, the 3 things I was looking for on the Marine's Hymn is that - 1 it is the only Congressionally sanctioned hymn, 2 it is about warfare and duties of a Marine (something brought up on an earlier thread) to the others that were about fun in the sun and 3 that it is about/for Marines - Not the Marine Corps but the Marines, it belongs to them - it is about them. Very significant if you listen to other songs representing the military.

Funny what yer gonna learn in here.