PDA

View Full Version : Shepherds watching over American flock

thedrifter
07-12-06, 04:17 PM
Shepherds watching over American flock
The Shreveport Times
July 12, 2006

Several weeks ago, The Times ran a guest column by an individual who made some terribly disparaging statements about the members of the United States armed forces, impugning their honor, integrity and bravery. Having served our country in the Air Force Reserve for over 31 years, I took the writer's comments personally and was, quite frankly, offended by them. However, after my blood pressure fell back to something approaching normal, I reminded myself that giving folks like him the chance to say something, even something stupid and patently incorrect, was one of the reasons I -- and millions of men and women just like me -- served all those years.

My dear friend, Lt. Gen. Brett Dula, U.S. Air Force, retired, recently wrote a letter to the editor of a large West Coast university's newspaper after some of the students had opposed a monument to an alumnus who had been a true war hero. With apologies to Gen. Dula for not remembering every point he made, I would address the following comments to those who criticize our military and the stand they are making on the other side of the world to protect us from fanatics who would gladly kill each of us here in our homes.

There are in this world sheep, sheepdogs and wolves. The sheep are happy enough feeding all day long, never giving a care to who protects them or even realizing that they might be in danger. The sheep are protected from danger by sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are not by nature vicious or mean, but they do take extremely seriously their responsibilities to protect the sheep -- who may or may not be grateful for that protection. Then there are wolves -- mean, vicious, evil animals who would destroy the entire flock of sheep even though they could never eat them all. Wolves kill just for the sport of killing. They kill sheep because they are sheep -- for no other reason.

If you have not figured out the analogy yet, let me summarize: There are in our country many good and peaceful people. Some of them simply do not have a clue. They do not realize that there are wolves afoot in the world that would kill every one of them and never bat an eye. They are sheep.

There are also wolves in our modern world, quite apart from those in Yellowstone National Park. Today's wolves are the Islamic fanatics who seek creation of a modern caliphate ruled by strict Islamic law. They seek the death of all nonbelievers. Of course, they forget in their zeal to kill all nonbelievers that they are profaning one of the world's most peaceful religions and desecrating the words of the Quran when they kill innocents.

Standing between the sheep and the wolves are only the sheepdogs -- those soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines and Coast Guardsmen who put their lives on the line every single day to protect the American citizenry -- many of whom are simply sheep.

So, to all the sheep, I say, sleep soundly. The sheepdogs are on post to guard you against the wolves. To the sheepdogs, I say, "Carry on. Man your post and stay on guard. There are wolves out there. Thanks for all you do."

Col. John S. Odom Jr. of Shreveport is retired from the U.S. Air Force Reserve.

booksbenji
07-12-06, 05:44 PM
who did not want Of &quot;Pappy Boyington&quot; UW student Senate votes down a statue of PAPA to his achievements. Most of Student Senate is anti- war. <br />
<br />
Hear's story:...

2motorbike
07-12-06, 07:38 PM
The analogy of sheep, sheepdogs (or in this case DevilDogs!) and wolves is a good one. I think it's apt in many ways. Most people in our society today are just that, sheep to be herded which ever way the media wants them herded. As to the students at UW rejecting a memorial to Boyington, it's a perfect example. The only information they likely remembered was the television show which portrayed the Black Sheep as a bunch of rabble-rousing drunks. Boyington was the military advisor to the show and appeared several times in it. His fellow flyers later asked him, "why'd you do it?". In a way Boyington brought this one on himself. We know the Hollywood mindset is "anything to sell another pack of cigarettes" and they don't care whose image is destroyed to accomplish their goal.

Goodnight Pappy, where ever you are.