PDA

View Full Version : First off Hello, and some advice please

Switch
07-10-06, 04:21 PM
hello all, i am not that new to this forum, i used to visit here often on the military wives forum when my first husband first became an active marine, but its been a while.from past experience here, i feel confident that perhaps one of you can help me out a little.after seriously considering it on and off in the past years, i have finally decided that i am going to try my very best to become a marine. i am not in agreeance with the direction my life is going and am just dead tired of not doing something that i love or that gives me pride. I have A LOT of respect for the marinecorps above any other branch (notice i said "above" i repect all military) and would love nothing more than to be able to wear that eagle globe and anchor. so whats stopping me you say? Well there is something discouraging me from even trying to join... i have a previous back injury. i was involved in a bad car accident back in 2003 which left me with a bit of hardware in my back (spine) and yeah it still bothers me sometimes, Especially when i start to Exercise (yeah i know what your thinking), but i really dont want for that to keep me back from accomplishing this goal in my life. its more frustrating than any other obstacles i ve come across in my life. if i sign up, i want to give myself a year to train my back to be able to withstand the alot of weight, and i d also have to lose about 40 pounds, because for my heigh of 5'0 i am overweight, but im willing to do it.now everyone around me keeps trying to convince me to join other branches of the military becuz theyre "easier" and because the army of the navy could probably offer me an MOS closer to what ive been studying for since january, Pharmacy Technician, i recieve my certificate in Oct. they say i m gonna throw it away with the marines cuz they dont even got medical. but i wouldnt mind being a linguist in the marinecorps at all, That is what i wanna do. or something similar. i got ppel pushing me towards the army, and pple telling me i shouldnt do it at all and just stick with my civilian life rather than risk ******* up my back more. and i just wanna hear it from you guys...what ya think?

Pialphamu
07-10-06, 04:33 PM
Losing the weight may help your back. Start there before even thinking of going in.

Switch
07-10-06, 05:09 PM
Yes i have thought of just how much that would probably help, and that is exactly where i plan to start. lol, my husband suggested to me that if i wanted to get a taste of the pain, to fill my backpack with my school books and walk around with it for a day. i m sure it wasnt all humor...i actaully considered doing that just to see how i do :) lol

junker316
07-10-06, 07:20 PM
Switch <br />
<br />
Get clearence with your Doctor. If you have metal rods or other devices that could harm you futher if they slip and possible paralist from the previous injury then you might wantto see if...

Covey_Rider
07-12-06, 08:55 AM
From the sound of things everything thats wrong with your body right now can be fixed. If that's that case then your main hurdle will be when you go to MEPS to see the doc. Make sure that you're completely honest with the doc and the doc will most definately be completely honest with you. From the little experience I had with the doc at MEPS here in Iowa, he won't hold you back for medical reasons unless you definately can't perform your duties...He always gave new recruits the benefit of the doubt. You'll have to talk to a recruiter because you're going to have to get a waiver for your back problems...one thing that may help is alot of swimming, it will get you in shape fast and it may also help with your back; it's a great cardio workout that will leave you huffing and puffing but still intact. Good luck and keep the moto up.

quillhill
07-12-06, 02:15 PM
Well, I can't say much about becoming a Marine -- other than I highly encourage you to do it if you highly desire it -- but I know a bit about back problems and weight loss.
So, I had back surgery March 2 to alleviate a herniated disc between the L4 and L5 vertebrae. During the four months or so leading up to the surgery, I had lost about 10 pounds thanks to a change in my eating habits. But, I couldn't work out much. Anyway, since the surgery, I've lost another 23 pounds with continued efforts to eat right and exercise.
I have found the more I exercise, the better my back feels and the less pain medication I have to take. I'm only about 30 pounds heavier now than I was when I graduated from high school, and I'm going to my 10-year reunion next month.
So, keep exercising and if you haven't changed your eating habits, do so and I think you could make your goal.
I agree with those who have advised talking to a recruiter, too. Lastly, though, if you want to be a Marine, then go for it because anything else will leave you unsatisfied. You have to follow your heart.

Good luck.