PDA

View Full Version : IED couldn't pierce his sense of humor

thedrifter
07-10-06, 06:45 AM
IED couldn't pierce his sense of humor

Sunday, July 9, 2006

By KAREN KELLER
HERALD NEWS

HALEDON -- Sometimes, when a Marine is badly injured in war, a corpsman will write his condition on the Marine's forehead.

Last year, on July 23, Haledon resident and Lance Cpl. Frank Castro, 24, had been driving a Humvee in Afghanistan, along a road known among Marines as "the valley." It connected the eastern town of Asadabad to U.S. military Camp Blessing, but is better described as "IED hell," for "improvised explosive devices" and the frequency with which they occur, Castro said.

Shrapnel suddenly tore through his entire body. When he felt the pen writing something on his forehead -- he didn't know what -- his response was to joke around with the Marines nearby.

"The character I have, I always make things better than they are," said Castro, a native Guatemalan whose parents moved to Paterson when he was 6 years old.

Castro still doesn't know what was written on his forehead -- he has no recollection of the incident. His friend later told him about the joking.

When he woke up in a German hospital, Castro learned that the roadside bomb had broken both his heels and ankles, his right leg, left hand, right arm, upper jaw, nose and right eye socket. Metal plates now hold together bones in half of those places.

"I have titanium in my body everywhere except above the neck," he said.

Castro has been recuperating in the United States and wants to go abroad again -- his battalion is going to Iraq in September. But his doctor told him in late March that because of his injuries, he won't ever be able to serve again in wartime.

"He crushed my dreams. I really wanted to go back," said Castro, who now lives with his parents.

Castro said he's a survivor by nature, someone who likes a challenge. Though only 5 feet 6 inches tall, Castro pursued a college football career, he said.

When an injury stopped him from continuing in football, the memory of 9/11 moved him to serve his country. Castro picked the Marines over the Army or Navy because he heard it was more challenging.

He's used to struggle, having grown up poor, he said.

"Ever since I came to this country, I've been an underdog. My parents didn't have the white picket fence," he said. "I wanted to look back and say I did something great."

After spending several months recuperating in military hospitals in Maryland and New Jersey, Castro can walk again. The panic attacks and depression have subsided. But he's lost much of his strength and can't stand up for long periods.

People tell Castro he's crazy for wanting to go to Iraq.

But Castro said his sense of duty to protect Americans is so powerful, he'd pack his bags for Iraq today. Even if he knew he were going to die, he said.

His little brother Victor, 12, who lives with Castro at their parents' house, said he's glad Castro is home safe.

"He's the only person I look up to, besides my parents," Victor said.

Unable to go to Iraq, Castro started a new desk job at Picatinny Arsenal in Morris County on Friday. He'll work at Picatinny for two years to finish out his active duty, then try to get a degree in international business, he said.

His first day wasn't so bad, he said.

"It felt good to put the uniform on," he said.

Email: KellerK@northjersey.com

Ellie