PDA

View Full Version : Will Murtha’s Iraq stance hinder his re-election bid?

thedrifter
07-09-06, 07:24 AM
Will Murtha’s Iraq stance hinder his re-election bid?

By KIRK SWAUGER
The Tribune-Democrat

— U.S. Rep. John Murtha understands he has become a lightning rod for his controversial and uncharacteristic outspokenness against the war in Iraq.

But Murtha, D-Johnstown, says he believes troops will begin being redeployed before the November election, a move that will allow him to refocus on jobs, health care and economic development closer to home in his bid for re-election.

“It’ll still be an issue in the fall. It just won’t be as much of an issue,” Murtha said in an interview with The Tribune-Democrat.

“You’re going to see a redeployment of troops this year. I think you’ll see a substantial withdrawal of troops.”

Political experts are divided about whether Murtha’s polarizing views on the war will affect his campaign against Republican challenger Diana Irey, a Washington County commissioner.

“I cannot deny that Murtha has done a wonderful job for our region,” said state GOP Chairman Rob Gleason of Johnstown. “He’s brought home the bacon. If that’s how you want to judge a congressman or any elected official, he gets five stars.

“I think everything was pretty positive until the past few months, when he started attacking the president and the war and saying things that weren’t really positive as far as the troops were concerned.”

In November, Murtha held a news conference in Washington and called for quick removal of U.S. troops from Iraq. Since then, he’s been a regular on national talk shows and news programs, opposing the Bush administrations Iraq policies.

Despite Murtha’s stance, his re-election is virtually guaranteed, said G. Terry Madonna, a political analyst at Franklin & Marshall College in Lancaster.

“Of all the districts in Pennsylvania, it’s not on anybody’s watch list – not either party, not independent chroniclers,” Madonna said. “They’ve conceded it. There’s no evidence that I’ve seen that (the war) is a serious factor in his re-election effort.

“His support of the military over the years gives him a credibility on these issues that a dovish congressman doesn’t have. He is insulated from some of the criticism.”

Irey did not return repeated telephone calls this past week seeking comment.
Murtha said his office has not done any polls of the heavily Democratic district yet, But he says that 70 percent to 80 percent of Democrats support his position nationally.

“When you’re spending $8 billion a month on the war, that’s money that could be used for health care, sewage and water, education,” Murtha said. “The public sees it can’t be done militarily. It has to be won through international cooperation.

“We’re caught in a civil war. We have to find a way to redeploy as quickly as possible.”

Murtha said he is concerned about Irey’s motivation for running against him, considering her husband, Robert, is CEO of a Canonsburg-based firm that secured a $300 million contract with the Iraqi government two years ago.

“I worry about that,” he said. “If they’re benefiting from this war, and if this is the reason she’s in this, it really bothers me. I don’t like that.”

Yet Murtha believes domestic issues will be equally as important by the fall.
Election Day is Nov. 7.

“Every campaign we’ve run is to make sure the district is viable,” he said. “Johnstown lost 12,000 jobs in steel, and we’ve replaced those. It doesn’t come easily.

“We’ve managed some real successes, and we can be pleased about the future of our area because we’ve diversified. We’ve got a lot of good things to talk about.”

Murtha’s effectiveness in channeling federal dollars back to his district will not be overlooked, Somerset County Democratic Chairman John Vatavuk said.

“There will be some people voting one way or another because of the war,” Vatavuk said. “But basically, people in this area appreciate what he’s done and they’ll vote for him because of it.

“He’s done a lot of things for us. There aren’t many Democrats who don’t support Jack Murtha.”

Cambria County Democratic Chairman Bill Joseph agreed.

“I think Jack Murtha is going to win this and win it by a tremendous amount,” Joseph said.

Ellie

Hometown Paper Marines!;)

Hopeful thinking I guess

OLE SARG
07-09-06, 10:26 AM
ms murtha should be in a rest home with padded walls NOT in politics!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

MillRatUSMC
07-09-06, 01:50 PM
Money talks and BS walks...
That the bottom line...
I'm sure he will get re-elected...
But I do believe that Col/Rep John Murtha has over-step himself by making accusations of guilt before there's any court-martial.
He has place himself in an Article 32 investigation...
Again;
MONEY TALKS AND BS WALKS...

Future-USMC-LT
07-09-06, 05:39 PM
He doesn't even deserve to be begging on the street. I don't care if he was a Marine, as far as I'm concerned, he lost that status when he spit on his fellow Devildogs by accusing them before a proper investigation or trial.

junker316
07-09-06, 06:13 PM
Accusations against Marines from other Marines higher than themselves happen everyday. It just usually happens behind closed doors. Now A days when getting NJPed you are guilty until proven guilty. Your rights are read and you are granted little time to get your defence together because those higher then yourself want to " get to the bottom of it all " and deliver your punishment to you before you have a chance to do anything against thier decisions or to make a statement in front of those your rank and below. It is just that Mr Murtha has done this same action repeatily against fellow Marines in the open for public view. I don't think he will get re-elected. I think he killed his career by the false judgements and imposing failures of his decisions. :mad: :thumbdown