PDA

View Full Version : War Vets to Draft Dodger Celebration in Canada: You're Just a Pack of Cowards

fontman
07-09-06, 06:30 AM
War Vets to Draft Dodger Celebration in Canada: You're Just a Pack of Cowards
July 08, 2006
by Jim Kouri, CPP

Columnist Sher Zieve filed a story today that US draft dodgers, who fled to Canada during the Vietnam War are reuniting in British Columbia for a celebration and memorial. US military deserters are also said to be amongst those joining the group.

The event will honor those who refused to serve their country and part of the festivities will be a memorial statue dedicated to the draft dodgers.

But many American war veterans aren't taking what they see as a travesty lightly. One Vietnam vet who later served as a New York police officer said, "Now we're honoring cowards and turncoats? I never thought I'd see the day. What's happening with this country?"

Another vet, now a New Jersey police officer was more blunt. "Those yellow bellies have some nerve glorifying their cowardice. It's disgusting."

Surprisingly, Joe McDonald, the lead singer of the legendary anti-war rock band Country Joe & The Fish appears to see things differently, although he will appear at the British Columbia event.

His band is most famous for the lyrics: "Well, it's one, two, three what are we fighting for? What it is I don't give a damn. Next stop is Vietnam…."

McDonald told Fox News that while many at the event see a parallel between Vietnam and Iraq, he doesn't. He said that after 9-11 it's understandable why we are fighting in Iraq and it hasn't come to the level of a Vietnam.

Former US Democrat Senator George McGovern will be the keynote speaker at the Saturday session. Leftist activist Tom Hayden said he believes Canada is still sympathetic to the dodgers and deserters and commented: "There's not a public in Canada wanting to send these guys back."

McGovern ran for president on an anti-war platform against President Richard M. Nixon at the height of the Vietnam War. Polls showed that many Americans opposed the war, but on election night McGovern got clobbered by Nixon. Pundits believed McGovern's rhetoric is what did him in and American didn't trust someone that far to the left.

Hayden, a high-profile activist, became the husband of the actress who became known as "Hanoi" Jane Fonda, because of the famous photo of her clad in North Vietnam Army helmet and fatigues sitting atop an anti-aircraft gun used to shoot down American planes and pilots.

One alleged "celebrity" draft dodger who won't be in attendance in Canada is former President Bill Clinton.

"For Clinton to show up and honor these men would be political suicide for his hopes of being the First Spouse in a Hillary Clinton White House," claims political analyst Mike Baker.

One Vietnam vet, now a law enforcement agent with the federal government, says it's one thing for the draft dodgers to celebrate their actions over 30 years ago, but deserters from a volunteer army celebrating is a different story.

"No one drafted those men. They're just a pack of cowards trying to pass themselves off as heroes," he said.

redneck13
07-10-06, 03:30 PM
:mad: :evilgrin: :!: At one time in my healing process from OZ (aka-Nam) I had to do a lot of forgiving. One of myself for being put in a situation where our Value's, Moral's were desecrated when we seen the things our enemy did to our brother's. And what we were, well there was only one choice, to do it, or go home in a body bag. The other is this very subject matter. I may forgive but I don't have to like it, or what they did. There's a big difference there.
To even think that a one time so called "American" would be so empathetic, and idolize these people by attending their so called "glorification" agenda, is to me, down right "disgusting." They are forgiven by me, yet, don't ya'll ever get close to me, I won't be able to stand the stench you have put on yourself, your country, or former country. And for who, Carter?, to give them the "freedom" and forgive them, to let them come back to the soil, they were not willing to defend, is more than disgusting to me, it's an outrage, a "gigantic slap in the face" to all of us Nam in country Vet's, ERA Vet's, whom didn't get the call but so badly wanted to. I wish Clinton would go, as he fit's the criteria. I wonder if Hanoi Jane will attend? Canada itself should be ashamed of what they've accepted and done, and are doing. That's right...."What the hell has happened to America?" Why won't Bush, or somebody speak out about this situation of not only the coward's who went to Canada (which Canada, you should've kept them, ALL) to escape the "Draft", and now the "deserter's?" We're in a War, or has Congress not passed a resolution to that effect, therefore, nobody in Wash., will speak out? Murtha, Kerry, Gore, Clinton, all need to be shipped to Canada, so they can belong to their kind of people, a people so willing to take the fruit's of their "homeland" but not willing to defend it, and lie, and lie, and lie, of their exploit's in Nam. Just to say....I'm a Vietnam Vet., don't mean sheet. You have to prove it, especially to the one's who were there. So, all you deserter's, coward's, have your day, and I've not heard but a news cast about it. Why isn't the American People, especially the one's who lost their loved one's in 9-11, why aren't they raising t-total hell? As I said, I forgive you for my sake, but keep your aces up there!! We should boycott everything we see made in Canada. Like all Car's from our American owned mfgr's, that are built in Canada, and let 'em keep their damn oil, we got plenty, and whatever else we can find that comes from there. Talk don't do nuttin'. But when you get in their pocket's?, they'll start doing what is right, as "MONEY" is the answer nowadays to all problems. Disgusting, disgusting, disgusting. YOU PEOPLE ARE TRULY "MAGGOT'S" IN ALL SENSE OF THE WORD."

ggyoung
07-10-06, 07:59 PM
Wind in Face=----------I will niver forgive what they done to us Vietnam vets. Rember canda sent down there best to become US Marines. I would not want one of them azzholes any were around me in Vietnam. Well maby in my rifles sight.

MillRatUSMC
07-10-06, 08:18 PM
I sit here thinking what words might I type that would express my disgust.
The thought of some celebrating their cowardice is beyond believing.
There was ways of serving even if you were against the war.
But they chose to run and to Canada's shame, she took in our cowards.
While many of her sons were going in the opposite direction.
To serve in our Armed Forces, then it was a crime for a Canadian to serve in any armed force other than Canada's.
Still they came and many served, some gave their alls.
There a Memorial to Canada's Vietnam war dead.
A while back it was subject to damage and disfigurement.
It may have been the work of these cowards...
ITS JUST UNBELIVEABLE...

Zulu 36
07-10-06, 09:19 PM
I knew quite a few Canadians who came to the US specifically to fight in Vietnam because their country wouldn't. I served with several in the Corps and each was an excellent Marine.

One had even gone back to Canada after serving four years (including one in 'Nam), joined the Canadian Army, decided he hated the place, got out and came back to the US and re-joined the Marines, then became a US citizen.

As an aside: That particular ex-Canadian came over to my company one day while I had the mob out for drill under arms and as a gag he taught the guys some British/Canadian style of drill. My 1stSgt went crazy when he saw us out doing Brit troop and stomp ("Sgt Tipton what the f*** are you doing and who the f*** are you?"). My Marines thought it was cool to do something different (and learned that our way of drill is much easier).

We might have escaped the 1stSgt's notice except my friend was pretty good at projecting Brit-style drill commands which are done very differently than ours.

redneck13
07-12-06, 04:25 PM
:!: What I said about "Forgiving them?" It's strictly for "MY HEALING OF OLD TIMES!" I didn't say I liked them. I cannot forgive and be forgivin, unless I do forgive. No, I dislike Canada's ways and means. I don't like what they did. I don't like what Deserter's are doing now. I'm not however.... going to judge them, or carry yet another burden, which I have "NO CONTROL OVER." It just drags me down. However....It's everyone's right to not forgive, I respect that. I hope you won't carry it to your grave. That is all. Now Carry on you Blessed Maggot's.