PDA

View Full Version : Question for Women Marines

K8 Mac
07-08-06, 11:53 PM
I am getting ready to ship out the 24th of this month and I have been told several times by Marines both women and men, that I should bring nothing with me but my ID, SS Card, Recruiter card, and my docs that I am given. But in "The Making of a Marine" book I was given when I joined the DEP it says that females should/can bring other items (three pairs of skin-tone pantyhose, one white or beige bra, six white athletic bras, at least seven panties, and if needed hair grooming things). Should we bring these or can we buy them when we are given the debit card to shop at the Post Exchange? If you could answer this question it would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Kait

Pialphamu
07-09-06, 12:04 PM
When I went in they pretty much just wanted you to have bras and underwear. I took most of the crap they said in the book, and most of it went in to storage until the day before graduation. You will want clothes to travel in after you graduate but if you are like most of us, they wont really fit you when you graduate. Most everything gets stored. Do not be afraid to write your name very large on your skivvies when you get there. People will take them if you are not careful. I know it is gross, but sorting in the dark, it does happen and people will not return them 99% of the time. I left with only 2 bras and 3 pair of underwear after starting with 7 pair! Things kinda disappear. PLEASE break in your running shoes prior to going. I did not do that good enough and I paid for it! Buy the moleskin and use it on every hump, it will be a life saver. I also put it on the nose guards on my eyeglasses because the sweat made my nose raw. Get everything you need when they take you to the px because you will not want to run out...especially bug juice, get tons because everyone borrows and never lends! Good luck and remember to just take it one day at a time. I wish I had some one to ask these things before I went in because it was a big unknown for me! LOL:usmc:

K8 Mac
07-09-06, 03:33 PM
Thank you so much for the advice. Yeah this web site is amazing! I am so glad it is here for questioins that most of the Male recruiters can not answer for us female poolees.

Marine84
07-09-06, 08:24 PM
I'm the same P - I wish there had been something like this for me too. My little book said to take a bathing suit and, needless to say, it went to storage - we ended up swimming but we did it in uniform or PT gear.

I'm so excited for you Kate! This is going to be the biggest step you'll take into adulthood - it's a DOOZY but it's a fun step! Drink PLENTY of water while you're at PI - it will be very hot and muggy, keep your ears and eyes open, and move FAST when the DIs tell you to MOVE!

K8 Mac
07-09-06, 08:50 PM
Will do Marine84. So basically bring the bras and panties and shoes. But that’s about it? What about socks? Or are those issued. I am going shopping for the things in the book soon and I want to make sure I don’t miss anything. I already know not to bring like shampoo and razors and things like that. I am strictly going to bring what they say and I have short hair so I don’t need hair grooming things. So anything else I should bring?

vickymarine11
07-18-06, 05:08 PM
Bring the extra sports bras and bring the extra white underwear. Make sure it aint the Victoria Secret underwear make sure its that old grandma underwear and make sure its all white. Also make sure the sports bras are all white and get them a size smaller than what u normally wear in civilizan bras for extra support. If you can I would also bring the white running socks. You dont have to bring running shoes you will be isssued New Balance running shoes when you get there. Mark all your trash with your stencil anytime your given time and during your square away time. Your stuff will disappear if you don't. You will be given PX call, but not right away probably during your third week and then again before rifle range and then again before A-Line BWT. At least that's when our senior gave us are PX calls. I wouldn't worry about it too much you'll be given everything you need during recieving but that extra gear I told you to bring will come in handy. Best of Luck

Pialphamu
07-18-06, 05:49 PM
You will be given PX call, but not right away probably during your third week and then again before rifle range and then again before A-Line BWT. At least that's when our senior gave us are PX calls.
Just be prepared, have your family send you a care package with skin-so-soft in it. We were only allowed 1 PX call and I ran out of bug juice half way through...not fun! LOL I was purple from head to toe because I did not want to get caught swatting the bugs away. You can never chase them all away anyway and forget about scratching! LOL PT was so much fun! LOL Sand fleas are the worst thing God ever invented! They are relentless!

K8 Mac
07-18-06, 08:00 PM
Thank you so much for all the info. Like i said before, it is hard to get answers to these things when your recruiters are men. Thanks again. Take care all!
Kait

Marine84
07-19-06, 08:30 AM
And............if you're lucky like I was - your body will shut your period off for you even. (Sorry for the guys that might read this) I had mine the day I got there and for about 2 or 3 days after that but not one more day afterwards. Then the very day I rode through the gate on my way home I started! That sucked BIG time cause you know I had that booty call lined up - HAHAHAHAHAHA!

K8 Mac
07-19-06, 01:59 PM
And............if you're lucky like I was - your body will shut your period off for you even. (Sorry for the guys that might read this) I had mine the day I got there and for about 2 or 3 days after that but not one more day afterwards. Then the very day I rode through the gate on my way home I started! That sucked BIG time cause you know I had that booty call lined up - HAHAHAHAHAHA!

ROFL! lol Yeah im hoping somthing like that happends but with slight modifications. lol
Kait

Pialphamu
07-19-06, 03:21 PM
And............if you're lucky like I was - your body will shut your period off for you even.

That was one of the best parts of bootcamp! It was great to not have to deal with it!:D

CAS3
07-19-06, 04:15 PM
Just wait...

I am 35 and haven't had one in 2 years...yippppeee

Downside is....
I haven't had one in two years....

I do have other things happening though...hot flashes MOOD SWINGSetc...

Marine84
07-19-06, 09:42 PM
Dang CAS at 35? I'll be 45 next month and I just started that crap last summer - try Zoloft baby..............I have NEVER in my life taken any kind of mood altering drug like that (unless it was recreational and I didn't do it every day) - now, they've jokingly threatened to fire me at work if I DON'T keep taking it. It has helped TREMENDOUSLY with the mood swings and the panicing (yes, I had panic attacks - with NO stress whatsoever going on in my life to cause it - it was the whole hormone thing). I had to have breast surgery so the GYN wouldn't put me on hormones. Now I still have the hot flashes and sweat like a pig at night but, at least I don't think the sky is falling anymore for no reason and I don't go from sweetheart to SYBIL in 3.2 seconds. AND, an added bonus, it doesn't give you a buzz.

Sorry K8 - another great reason to be a woman! HAHAHAHAHA! This is what you got to look forward to girl but always remember...............it's just the natural cycle of life. But the dash that will be between the dates on my tombstone will be a long one and my epitaph will be "copyright expired" (I have a copyright symbol with 1961 on my right hip) - yes, I literally have a copyright on my a$$.

Pialphamu
07-19-06, 10:50 PM
Man!! I bet the guys have taken off now!! LOL This subject has left nothing to their imaginations!! LOL I bet they are running for the hills!!:D :banana: :yes:

CAS3
07-20-06, 12:44 AM
HA HA HA
That is what my ex husband used to call me.
I have had a couple of surgery's that is why so early. All the parts are there but the engine don't crank!! LMAO:banana: :banana:

I am on as many meds as the doc feels is necessary. I WANT PERCOCET!
:beer: Can't (not supposed to drink cause of em) LOL

Pialphamu
Most of the guys here have wives and daughters. If they didn't know the facts of life, they sure will now!!

Didn't they used to put salt peter(?) in the mens chow?

Marine84
07-20-06, 08:50 AM
HAHAHAHA! Yeah I can see the eyes rolling and hear them saying "OH MY GOD HERE THEY GO AGAIN".

If we ever did anything like that while we were still in all we would have heard is "GD WOMEN IN MY MARINE CORPS".

I had a WO cease fire on the firing line one time cause my boobs wouldn't allow me to hold that M16 like they wanted me to while standing. He thought he was going to embarass me by yelling at me and asking me who taught me to hold that weapon that way. He took it from me and showed me how I was supposed to hold it so I got him - I reached up and grabbed a boob and told "with all due respect Sir THIS won't let my put my elbow where you're wanting me to put it". He just shook his head, muttered something about women in HIS Marine Corps and started us back up again.

K8 Mac
07-21-06, 12:07 AM
ROFL! yeah that is going to be fun and funny, but kinda sucky all at the same time. lol.

marinepride
07-21-06, 02:00 AM
K8 I brought all the stuff the book told me to bring but it all went into storage. Everything was issued to us. Good luck and definitely drink a lot of water. It is hot and very very humid this time of year. The last thing you want is the Silver Bullet.

beakerless
07-21-06, 02:16 AM
I do have other things happening though...hot flashes MOOD SWINGSetc

The drop you in your tracks hot flashes and night sweats are bad enough but on top of that I am having what the doctors have diagnosed as peri-menopausal hormonally induced migraines.

His_angel
07-21-06, 09:09 AM
And a piece of paper with addresses on it. Though you could always have someone mail that to you once you get there too. Not a book. Just a sheet of paper.

Count me in as one of those who didn't have her monthly during boot camp. I paid for it on my leave after boot though!

Angel

Pialphamu
07-21-06, 10:14 AM
I had a WO cease fire on the firing line one time cause my boobs wouldn't allow me to hold that M16 like they wanted me to while standing. He thought he was going to embarass me by yelling at me and asking me who taught me to hold that weapon that way. He took it from me and showed me how I was supposed to hold it so I got him - I reached up and grabbed a boob and told "with all due respect Sir THIS won't let my put my elbow where you're wanting me to put it". He just shook his head, muttered something about women in HIS Marine Corps and started us back up again.

They come up with that kind of stuff all of the time! I have big boobs too and they never effect my shooting. I shoot better than most men! :p Besides it's a good place to rest your arm! LOL Just because it's a different position doesn't mean it's not as good. It's all about adapting and isn't that what a Marine is supposed to do! LOL I'm glad you came up with that one, I was never good at verbal banter.

K8 Mac
07-21-06, 11:25 AM
I think I am going to go with the bring nothing and if I feel I need it later, I will see if someone can send it to me. Thank you all for the advice and the smiles and giggles i have had on this thread. lol. Yeah the monthly might not be fun while i am there but it is better than paying in double for it on my leave after boot camp.

Sorry to hear about the Migraines

Katherine McLaughlin