PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Florida

8th&I Marine
07-08-06, 09:28 AM
I am moving to Sarasota Florida in about a week. Do any of you Marines live anywhere close to there? Maybe give me some ideas what its like there. I am from Texas and have never been to Florida. Any help would be apprecated. SF Marines.

Cantrell:flag:

Zulu 36
07-08-06, 10:37 AM
Hot and humid. At times extremly windy, wet, hot, and humid (normally between June and November). :!:

I moved from Michigan to get away from cold weather and snow. It worked, so far. I'm OK assuming a new ice age doesn't appear as fast as global warming appeared after global cooling was the panic attack du jour.

I live in Crescent City, about mid-way between Orlando and Jacksonville, or about 170 miles northeast as a crow flies from Sarasota. You will have slightly warmer and humid summers than I do and probably slightly warmer winters. When temps are in the high 90s and humidity is in the 80s +, the differences are not very noticeable. Still, it doesn't feel as bad in full summer as it did in Vietnam in full summer.

People do not know how to drive in this state (especially OLD people). I am amazed how few people are killed in road rage incidents. When the OLD people aren't driving poorly in their regular cars, they're out driving poorly in their golf carts all over city streets. I am also amazed how few get killed in their golf carts too. I guess God loves fools, Marines, and OLD people.

All-in-all, I like it here. Hope you will too.

10thzodiac
07-08-06, 06:22 PM
One of the TV networks just did a piece on how the 55 y/o baby boomer's are retiring and moving to Sarasota. I recall they said, "that their average yearly income was about 200k and they were really yupping it up there." It's the in place, have fun!

8th&I Marine
07-09-06, 02:47 AM
I am skeered sheetless I am going into a totally new world. I feel like I am hitting the foot prints again.

Zulu 36
07-09-06, 09:30 AM
What are you moving to Florida for? The prison system here isn't too bad as compared to others.

;)

8th&I Marine
07-09-06, 03:04 PM
I am moving to Florida because my better half has a job there. I am going to be looking for a job there. I am hoping I can find something there.

Apache
07-09-06, 03:27 PM
Hot Humid Buggy
Depending on location,don't go in your backyard after dark-the gators like to come on land.
What is your backround ?You mentioned looking for work.
gehrij@usmarines.com

8th&I Marine
07-10-06, 05:07 PM
I do construction here in Texas, but am willing to do almost anything. I have a few ideas of what I can do there but going to wait till I get there so see if it is worth it. I am leaving tommrow so I am ready for the long drive.

marinegreen
07-10-06, 05:15 PM
8th & I Marine will have another title to go by after living in Fl. he'll be known as 8th & I slash gator hunter, enjoy brother its big down there, just watch yourself around the waters edges, there faster then peeps give em credit for.SF

Zulu 36
07-10-06, 08:13 PM
Well, there are 'gators and there are Gators here in Florida. The two-legged types can be as dangerous as the four-legged variety depending on how much they've had to drink. The four-legged ones just come out of the egg mean and hungry.

You will be expected to choose sides here in Florida. You will have to become a Gator or a Nole - even if you hate football (coming from Texas that probably isn't you). I'm a University of Michigan fan born and bred, but where I live I'm a Nole. I have to be. My across the street neighbor used to be a big time running back for the Seminoles (aka: Pooh Bear) and he is still one big, fast dude!!
:beer:

samwarriorusmc
07-10-06, 09:33 PM
Apply for a job with any county corrections department or sheriff's detention deputy position. they will pay you while in the academy, and you get great benefits with overtime and retirement pension. anywhere in southeast vacinity. try broward county or palm beach county websites or go to lejobs.com or 911hotjobs.com. In order to do law enforcement, you have to go through corrections first. A lot of my corps buddies are working in this feild and they are satisfied with it. good luck and semper-fi.

marinegreen
07-10-06, 09:44 PM
Welcome samwarriorusmc,this be the place !!!! SF

Shadowman777
07-11-06, 07:30 PM
I am moving to Sarasota Florida in about a week. Do any of you Marines live anywhere close to there? Maybe give me some ideas what its like there. I am from Texas and have never been to Florida. Any help would be apprecated. SF Marines.

Lived in that area for 15 years - actually just north of you in Clearwater and Tampa. Like others have said, lots of bugs and humidity. The fireants you should already be acquainted with. That being said, the hurricanes are cool - and the lightening storms are 2nd to none! Woo-hoo!

If you don't like bridges - avoid the Sunshine Skyway bridge. That sucker scares the crap out of me. Even the Chesapeke Bay bridge is nothing compared to that bridge.

There are lots of jobs, but rate of pay kinda sucks. Good thing is - very low property taxes, and no state income tax.

I think you'll like it. I left the area to get away from my ex-wife, aka the "Wicked Witch of the Southeast." Don't be surprised if some summer night, as you look up at the stars - appreciating the weather, you see a woman zoom by on a broom. That would be my ex going to work ...

Osotogary
07-11-06, 08:34 PM
8th&I Marine-
Would you like me to send you a Cuban sandwich (succulent sliced ham, roast pork, swiss cheese and optional pickle slices on Cuban bread) or Media Noche (Midnight Sandwich), some Moro (Moros y Christianos- Black beans and rice) and a learn Spanish fast cd once you get situated? Hey, El gusto es mio. (The pleasure is mine.)
Travel safe and easy.
Gary

Shadowman777
07-11-06, 09:45 PM
8th&I Marine-
Would you like me to send you a Cuban sandwich (succulent sliced ham, roast pork, swiss cheese and optional pickle slices on Cuban bread) or Media Noche (Midnight Sandwich), some Moro (Moros y Christianos- Black beans and rice) and a learn Spanish fast cd once you get situated? Hey, El gusto es mio. (The pleasure is mine.)
Travel safe and easy.
Gary

Don't you even get me started on Cubans! My favorite, the Hot ham (Cappicano) sandwich. Very nice!!!

I'm a Philly guy - and love my Hoagies - but the Cuban is an excellent sandwich! Great roll, great meat!

You will LOVE Florida! Just avoid Miami! <GRIN>

Zulu 36
07-12-06, 06:35 AM
Hey, I'm married to a Cuban (for the time being anyway) and my waist line has suffered the effects for 26-years. I love the food. Plenty to get around the Tampa-St. Pete-Sarasota stretch of coast....

airframesguru
07-12-06, 06:44 AM
I do construction here in Texas, but am willing to do almost anything. I have a few ideas of what I can do there but going to wait till I get there so see if it is worth it. I am leaving tommrow so I am ready for the long drive.

Give a look at www.marineea.org

They hire Marines and I've seen listing for all over the states.

S/F,

Mike:beer:

8th&I Marine
07-12-06, 08:19 AM
I want to thank all of yall for the help and ideas. I plan on starting on the job thing tommrow. I stoped in the big easy last night and had a little fun. I won some money too. I hope everyone is having a great day and will keep you posted.

(soon to be 8th&I Gator bait):)

Osotogary
07-12-06, 09:23 AM
One more thing, 8th&I. Remember as soon as you cross the State line into Florida, do not, I repeat, do not, follow any of the guidelines for being a safe, courteous and lawfull driver! I know it is the law, and I do observe them, but if you ever venture down into South Florida forget about signaling before you change lanes or turning. Forget courteous mandatory four way stops at intersections when the power goes out. Forget about everything that you have ever been taught in Drivers Education. Please remember to tailgate at over 60 miles per hour on a just rained on highway surface. Be sure to give the other car the bird as you pass. Oh, yeah, don't forget to park in Fire Zones (that seems to be an all time favorite) and be sure to double park on a two lane two way street. You might wish to install roll bars onto your vehicle.
Seriously, have a safe and fruitful trip and be sure to wear your set belt.

Mike McIntyre
07-12-06, 10:05 AM
Though I was never a Marine, my dad was. I grew up in Cape Coral just south of there. My dad thought it was Parris Island and he was a DI. (I was a favorite and not because he thought I had potential). My friends were all scared of him.

Sarasota is very clean and growing at an unreal pace. The winters are gridlock due to the “Snow Birds”. “Blue Hairs” rule and many have money$$$. The water is warm and some say like bath water during the summer months. They have the worst lightning in North America and you have to experience it to believe it. The bugs are bad but not as bad as Louisiana as is the humidity. It rains every afternoon in the summer like clockwork. The pay stinks but you must be used to it being a Marine (They sure don’t pay ya’ll enough) So many people move there that employers do not have a problem finding workers. I went to Cypress Lake High School in Ft. Myers, The University of Florida, and then LSU. Southwest Florida is a great place and a fun place. I would join you if I could find work in my field.

You may want to look into Venice, Fl.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Thanks for serving!!!!

8th&I Marine
07-17-06, 11:58 AM
Well I made it here. I have already been fishing and been to Universal. I have had alot of fun so far. Now just need to find a job. I hope every one is well and SF Marines.

(not gator bait yet)

chafas2531
07-17-06, 02:34 PM
:marine: Howdy Jon. Glad you made it safe and sound. If you're up to it, try applying at Collier County Sheriff's Dept. There are many Marine Vets working there. Naples is a bit expensive but who knows? You might find something good. Have a good one and God bless!
SEMPER FIDELIS!:usmc:
ben