PDA

View Full Version : National Call to Service..

Rock_The_MC
07-07-06, 07:32 PM
My recruiter called me and told me about this... I am set to leave in October and my MOS is Infantry. But lately we have been talking about shipping me off sooner. Well, something about the new Fiscal Year and stuff.. blah, blah, blah. Basically if I want to leave early, I can't get Infantry because all the slots are filled until this new Fiscal **** starts. But then he tells me that I can leave early, get a $5,000 bonus, and i'll only be in for 2 years and after the 2 years I can re-enlist into Active Duty or Reserves and do a lat move if i'm not happy with the MOS I get. Which isn't going to be Infantry. I can go Infantry after the 2 years. Now, According to this website:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/a/ncsprogram.htm

I have a couple of MOS' to choose from if I decide to do this. It doesn't sound too bad. And some of the jobs on there, 3 of them, were ones I was considering before anyway.

The thing is, I have never heard of this **** and I don't want to get into something that i'm going to regret later. Like I said, my recruiter said that I couldn't get Infantry if I ship sooner because of everything being tooken. Well, what if all these jobs listed on there are all taken except the.. well... dumb ones. Because 0311 is on there. But he told me that he was pretty sure it wasn't going to happen.

I don't know.

I just wish there was an easier way for me to leave sooner and still keep my Infantry MOS without having to do weird ****.

If any of you are going Infantry.. and are leaving around.. July 24.. August 1st-7th.. DON'T GO. I'll take your spot. Heh. JK.

Have any of you heard about this or been offered it before? It says only a small percentage get to do it so yeah... who knows?

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-07-06, 09:53 PM
You cannot lat move into th infantry as an active duty Marine. You can become an infantryman in the reserve after spending time on active duty as a non-infantry Marine.

I guess this could have changed, but that website didn't say that rule had been eliminated, and there is sound reasoning behind the rule. Also, with only 15 months on the job after MOS school, I am not sure the Marine Corps will be really thrilled to allow a lat move. They may do it, but there is no promise that they will allow you to change.