PDA

View Full Version : "Old Core Values"

thedrifter
12-26-02, 08:43 AM
Do you remember your first wake up call in the Marine Corps? It was about zero dark thirty in the morning, and not one out of 70 recruits could do anything right. The date was August 18, 1961. And, from that day on, we were taught to function as a team. Seventy left feet hitting the deck in unison. It was the Marine Corps way. The way it's supposed to be. That is, until the PFT came along.
How many of us can remember the old PRT? The Physical Readiness Test. The PRT followed us long out of Parris Island, and even beyond the Vietnam War. It was a required test given to each and every Marine twice a year. It was an all day event. It was a dreaded day for most of us. We hated to get up that morning, dress out with utilities, cartridge belt, 782 gear, pack, rifle, helmet- the works. We were about to embark on a test of stamina, and a test of teamwork. For, if one Marine in the unit did not cross the line before time was up, the entire unit failed, and had to re-take the test the following weekend. That was quite an incentive. I remember helping many good Marines get across the line. One Marine grabbed the pack of another. One Marine took his rifle. Two more Marines each grabbed an arm. It was teamwork at its finest.

Following the test, which lasted all morning, we spent the rest of the day cleaning the sand out of our gear. Sand was everywhere- web gear, M-1 barrel(later M-14), and our utilities. We were filthy. But, we felt like real Marines. We won the battle. Every Marine came back alive. We were victorious as a team.

So, where did we go wrong? What have we lost by replacing the PRT with the PFT, the Physical Fitness Test?

When the PFT was first introduced in the Corps, the great leaders at HQMC had the right idea for testing a Marine's physical strength. Pull-ups, sit-ups, and a three-mile run. Pretty basic stuff. Not such a big deal for most Marines. So, where did it go wrong? What happened to the Esprit d' Corps?

I'll tell you exactly where we lost it.

In the PFT, each Marine is graded on his own personal physical strength and ability. It's every man (and woman) for himself. A Marine who can run like a gazelle will complete the three-mile run in as little as 18 minutes, whereas a Marine built like a gorilla might only be able to complete the run in 27 minutes. Both Marines may be as strong as an ox, but the Marine carrying the extra weight is now competing for his career in the Marine Corps. He no longer feels like he is a part of the team, because in the eyes of his fellow Marines, he is not as good as they are. He has been left behind in the dust of the faster, more agile Marines. Teamwork is out of the picture completely. It doesn't matter if the entire unit does not pass the test anymore, it's individual competition. And, that is where I believe we have lost the edge.

General Lewis B. Puller epitomized the Marine Corps ethic of teamwork in Korea when he broke out of the Chinese stronghold around the Chosin Reservoir where he and his valiant Marines were completely surrounded. And, he did so while bringing with him all of his dead and wounded Marines, along with all of his equipment, and tons of gear left abandoned by the Army.

I remember hearing that story a hundred times during my career in the Marine Corps. And, I have tried to live by Chesty's standard, even during the PRT. Especially during the PRT. Every Marine makes it across the line; we all finish together, or we all die together.

We need to re-focus the Marine Corps on teamwork again. Old Corps values. Never leave a Marine behind. Not now . . . not ever.

Semper Fidelis!

Sempers,

Roger

BADAMS
12-26-02, 09:19 AM
I agree with the PFT reducing teamwork.
I am only familiar with the PFT and not the PRT. I believe that many leaders in the corps felt the way you do. My unit ,2nd FSSG, had several tests of which you speak. The teamwork was still there when it counted.
The PFT is for the Marines to find out where they need work as individuals. Some are not as motivated as others to better themselves. If they can't run in 18 it should be a challenge to better yourself. If you only complete 8 pull-ups hit the weights. All in All I believe the comaraderie will be present when needed. It is instilled in every Marine from day one.

Semper Fi

thedrifter
12-26-02, 07:11 PM
Never ran 3 miles under 22 minutes, never did more than 10 pullups/chinups, and usually did between 60 an 80 situps...........
But this was all done for my own accomplishments..........
In the PRT, you worked and passed or failed as a team......always remember helping out our Fellow Marines.........this was team work and helped keep THE SPIRIT OF TEAM WORK IN ALL OF US.

Sempers,

Roger

DawnMarie
12-26-02, 07:26 PM
humm .. so the pft is harder ??
ive completed all of them except the run in 22 min .. ( im working on it :( )
i can also do 3 pull ups for a girl thats pretty good :)

JELLYBEAN

wrbones
12-26-02, 08:47 PM
PRT was more difficult if you were good at the PFT. It was harder to stay back and help yer bros w/o throwin a fit.

USMC-FO
12-26-02, 09:25 PM
Agree PRT much more important than PFT. Fine to be an individual on a PFT but would like to see all Marines graded on PRT and as a unit. One of my best memories in IRT was being able to carry back three M-14's from Marines that had gone done with broken bones durning a very slippery 10 mile night march. Others carried packs and the injured men. But we came in as a unit. PFT did not instill in me the wish to carry those rifles, I suspect the PRT's did, or at least instilled the strong sence of working togeather. Off subject I guess, but you get the point.

Semper Fi

firstsgtmike
12-26-02, 09:28 PM
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Anyone who wants to argue that, the line forms to the left.