PDA

View Full Version : Padilla enjoys last race before joining Marines

thedrifter
07-05-06, 08:07 AM
Published - July, 5, 2006

Padilla enjoys last race before joining Marines

Wendy Wills
@PensacolaNewsJournal.com

If Michael Padilla runs the Firecracker 5K again, it likely will have a different meaning.

The Pine Forest High and University of West Florida alumnus won the annual Independence Day run Tuesday morning, the last time he'll run the race as a civilian.

Padilla, who finished in 15 minutes, 29 seconds, will join the Marine Corps next month, although he hopes to continue a career in running.

"I want to try for the Olympic Trials when I get older, but I get commissioned in the Marine Corps (on) Aug. 28," he said.

More than 1,000 runners competed in the event held at Seville Quarter, but it was Padilla who pulled away about halfway through the race.

"The second-place guy led the first mile and a half," said Padilla, who beat Chris Hollinden by 13 seconds. "But I caught back up and put a gap between us."

The All-American runner recently was selected one of the Gulf South Conference's top 10 student-athletes after graduating this spring. Padilla said he plans "on running for the Marine Corps," but is unsure whether he will do so competitively.

Brooke Pruitt, meanwhile, won the female division with a time of 18:58, the third time she won the event.

"Before the first mile, another female got ahead," said Pruitt, 24, of Huntsville, Ala. "But I passed her before the long stretch (along Bayfront Parkway)."

Pensacola's Dave Mayo, 44, was one of three wheelchair racers. He clocked in at 12:59 to win the event, which raises money for the Ronald McDonald Charities of Northwest Florida.

Ellie