PDA

View Full Version : War 101

fontman
07-04-06, 02:34 PM
WAR 101
By COLONEL DONALD J. MYERS USMC (Ret)

When one states that he is taking a course in History 101, Economics 101, Literature 101, or any other college course with a 101 behind it, that means that it is a basic course. It is obvious to me that the nation needs a course on War 101.

Contrary to what is reported in the media, we have one war - the war against terrorism. Today and for at least three years, at least since we woke up, we have been fighting this war against terrorism on two fronts- Afghanistan and Iraq. They are not different wars, they are the same war. As an analogy, we fought WWII in several theaters - Africa, Europe, South Pacific, and China/Burma. It was the same war.

When one goes to war, it is a serious and deadly business and needs the support of the Nation. For too many of our citizens war has been a spectator sport since WWII. Sacrifice has not been required for the majority and thus the majority does not take it serious. Our service people are in harms way on a daily basis. They are liable to be casualties at any time. Unlike other wars, they are able to read or watch the media in action, and our enemies can do the same. I suggest that with our current war, there are two additional fronts that we must face. The first is with the mainstream media and its constant reporting of nothing but negative aspects of this war and the disclosure of secret documents. The second is with the shadow government in the Pentagon, State Department, and CIA to name a few. There are people in each of those organizations who are vehemently opposed to this war and this administration. They apparently believe that any damage to the prosecution of this war is in the best interest of the country and it is their obligation to do whatever they can to insure that we do not succeed.

Let's talk about the media first. Pulitzer prizes have been bestowed upon papers and individuals who expose government secrets that do harm to our fight in this war. Michael Moore received an Oscar for his anti government movie on the war. The New York Times released a story about our government tracking money in foreign banks by terrorists that was a secret program. That program and the support from other countries will probably come to an end as a result. Who was hurt? It definitely was not the terrorists. The exposure of our ability to track phone calls from terrorists' organizations to the USA was also published. Again, who was harmed- not the terrorists? Freedom of the press is in the First Amendment and I agree, but with freedom comes responsibility. Getting a scoop does not mean that it was appropriate to do it. In WWII, some of these current reporters would have told about or D-Day plans in the vein that the people should know. History will be the ultimate judge and I am convinced that it will get it right.

Now, let's talk about the shadow government. These individuals in our government who think that it is their responsibility and calling to disclose secrets are despicable people who should be discovered and punished to the extent of the law. They are entrusted with some of the most significant plans and operations of our government and yet they seem to think that they have a higher calling and I suspect that in some cases they are so incensed that the democrats are not in power that any means used to ultimately return them to power is proper.

It is pointless to debate the media people or those in the shadow government. Facts mean nothing, emotions are the king. Intentions are the key element in any debate. It makes no difference to these people what the results are, the intentions are what count. "Our intentions were to have the government change policy." The loss of key elements in defeating terrorists is of no consequence.

I remain confident because I honestly believe that the majority of Americans are not fooled. The readership and viewer ship of these mainstream media continues to plummet. I am more concerned about the shadow government. These people must be found and punished because they are the true traitors.

The colonel states his case clearly and in understandable terms. I doubt any media will publish his thoughts as presented above.

;)