PDA

View Full Version : I've no hang-ups

thedrifter
07-04-06, 07:28 AM
I've no hang-ups

4 July 2006

Sometimes things that could happen only in a movie happen while a movie is being filmed ... but offscreen.Kate Hudson found that out while filming her new movie 'You, Me and Dupree' on a soundstage next to a US Marines training facility in San Pedro, Calif.

"I heard a chopper, and then all of a sudden there was this crazy loud noise," Hudson recalls. "I ran outside in my bikini, diamond collar and high heels that I was wearing for this sexy fantasy scene. And then I screamed at the top of my lungs. It turns out that the chopper came so low that this big piece of plywood came off a roof and fell on the top of my car."

Soon Hudson was surrounded by cops and Marines, though she wasn't really dressed for the occasion.

"Again, I was in my thong bikini, and all of these men were around me," she says. "I'm in this non-outfit and they're all smiling and saying, 'Hello, Ms. Hudson, it's so nice to see you.'

"I said, 'Hello, and can someone please get me a robe? And by the way, guys, what happened to my car?"'

Hudson laughs. Over tea at a beach resort in Santa Monica, Calif., she's wearing a loose, brown dress with her long, curly, blonde hair falling softly in her face, and she doesn't seem especially upset about the experience.

The movie she was filming is 'You, Me and Dupree', opening nationwide on July 13. It casts her as a young newlywed whose husband (Matt Dillon) comes home to announce that his best friend Dupree (Owen Wilson) needs a place to stay for a couple of days. Days turn into weeks, though, and soon both will do almost anything to get Dupree out of their house.

"We're not talking about an Academy Award film," Hudson says, "but a summer comedy that's sweet, with an emotional undertone."

And a fantasy scene involving a thong bikini, but Hudson says that's no big deal.

"I've never had any issues with my body," she says. "That's why I don't mind nudity in films, as long as it's not totally exploitive and it's funny or appropriate. I have no hang-ups.

"In fact, there is a lot of naked in this new film," she adds. "I remember when I read the script for the first time and thought, 'God, I'm naked for a lot of this movie.' So I wasn't too surprised when I got to the set and I was told to strip down to my underwear."

The film's message about the problems of going from singlehood to half of a married couple hit home to Hudson, who has been married for six years to Black Crowes singer Chris Robinson, with whom she has a 2-year-old son, Ryder.

"Well, I knew what I was getting into with Chris," she says. "I knew it the first week. One of the first things I said to Chris was, 'Tell me everything you think I won't like about you.' He went on and on for an hour and a half, and I still married him.

"Chris does have vagabond musician friends who wander in and out of our lives and homes," Hudson says. "There are two in particular, they're actually twins. I've seen their genitals one too many times while they're camped out at my house.

"It's all harmless fun," she hastens to add, "although when we were first married, Chris and I were in Paris. These guys were living with us forever. I'd go film at 5 in the morning, and I'd be stepping over these characters to get to the door. They would be passed out all over the place, but I truly didn't mind.

"I guess that's what I enjoy about life," the actress says. "These were people you could write stories about. I know this sounds crazy, but I love to understand any kind of human behaviour, no matter what kind. This is the best acting class I can have. I'm always very open with other people's stuff."

In the film Hudson's character has a stern business-executive father (Michael Douglas) who won't cut her new husband any slack. In real life, however, her father — Kurt Russell, best known as the ultraviolent Snake Plissken in 'Escape from New York' (1981) and 'Escape from L.A' (1996) — isn't so demanding.

"Pa was pretty good," Hudson recalls, "and Chris didn't find him intimidating. Of course I never thought about the fact that my dad is Snake Plissken in those movies. Oh my God, that must have been difficult for some guys to come in and say 'Jesus, that's her dad and he's going to kick my ass!'

"In fact, here's a quick story," Hudson says, laughing. "Pa came back from a press junket right after I married Chris, and he said that he was asked again and again if he was nervous that I got married too young. Pa replied, 'I'm never worried about Kate. I'm more worried about the guy who married Kate."'

Hudson shakes her head in amusement.

"I love that," she says. "Pa has confidence in his daughter, so he's always been pretty good. My parents let us make our own mistakes."

The 27-year-old Hudson grew up in Los Angeles with her mother, actress Goldie Hawn, and Hawn's longtime companion, Russell — her biological father is musician Bill Hudson, but Hawn regards Russell as her father. She has three brothers, Oliver Hudson, Boston Russell and Wyatt Russell.

Ellie