PDA

View Full Version : Question: Medals & Awards

wsimkins
07-02-06, 09:01 AM
In 1990 I was stationed with the 22nd MEU (SOC) at CLNC. During deployment in LF6F 2-90 we were deployed from Toulon France to Monrovia Liberia to evacuate our embassy during the civil disturbances...

10thzodiac
07-02-06, 10:02 AM
http://www.history.navy.mil/medals/index.html<O:p

10thzodiac
07-02-06, 10:14 AM
These are probably much better

http://www.gruntsmilitary.com

http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/mcexpmed.shtml

10thzodiac
07-02-06, 10:56 AM
It appears you are entiled to the Navy Unit Commendation Medal (NUC)

https://lnweb1.manpower.usmc.mil/manpower/mm/mmma/awardsref.nsf/StoredFile/NAVMC+2922/$File/navmc+2922.htm?OpenElement#twensecmarexp

SF

wsimkins
07-02-06, 11:08 AM
Thanks a million.

10thzodiac
07-02-06, 06:18 PM
Found another one Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal

Monrovia, Liberia (Sharp Edge): August 5, 1990 - February 21, 1991

http://foxfall.com/csm-navy-exp.htm

http://foxfall.com/index.htm

Be forewarned they are issuing SQUID medals now in lieu of the Marine Medal, when I asked for mine in '92 for Cuba '62 they sent me the NEM instead of the MEM (they ran out of them) Just tell them to enter in your record as the MEM and tell the Navy Department to keep the NEM and purchase the MEM yourself commericaly, I did.
http://www.history.navy.mil/medals/nem.htm

wsimkins
07-03-06, 09:07 AM
Thanks again devil Dog. Using your links I have actually found 4 awards I missed out on. I processed out of the Corps during the Pursian Gulf War. They checked me out and discharged me withing 4...

10thzodiac
07-03-06, 09:46 AM
Glad to help. I found that when I submitted my request to the Navy Department they authorized a Vietnamese decoration too that I didn't know I had coming.

I must confess... I'm afraid and haven't shown my grandchildren my medals and probably never will as I have seen my family's medals when I was young and impressionable...because how close I and others had come earning them...I'm scared for my grandchildren...this is not to offend anyone just an old man speaking his heart who loves his grandchildren...maybe better left unsaid, I apoligize to everyone

SF

Phantom Winger
07-03-06, 10:30 AM
Sgt Simkins - When were you in Monrovia? Were you aboard the Saipan?

wsimkins
07-04-06, 09:57 AM
Sgt Simkins - When were you in Monrovia? Were you aboard the Saipan?

LF6F 2-90. Headquarters Element, Supply Chief 22 MEU, NCOIC Security Detachment (Search & Siezure). USS Nassau.:flag:

wsimkins
07-04-06, 10:09 AM
I must confess... I'm afraid and haven't shown my grandchildren my medals and probably never will as I have seen my family's medals when I was young and impressionable...because how close I and others had come earning them...I'm scared for my grandchildren...this is not to offend anyone just an old man speaking his heart who loves his grandchildren...maybe better left unsaid, I apoligize to everyone

SF

Why apologize for true feelings? I know how you feel, I have a 20 year old son that is a Junior at Purdue University. All I want for him to do is graduate and take a nice desk job somewhere. If he is called to serve I will support him proudly, I just won't sleep very well at night. My wife will be a basket case! I have a 15 year old son that can't wait to turn 17 and enlist in the USMC. He already has USMC screen savers and posters. Maybe in 2 years our troops will be withdrawn and the world at peace again. If not, at least he knows the best branch to join! It still doesn't keep me from being scared s***less.

Thanks again for all your help. Semper Fi.

10thzodiac
07-04-06, 01:17 PM
Why apologize for true feelings? I know how you feel, I have a 20 year old son that is a Junior at Purdue University. All I want for him to do is graduate and take a nice desk job somewhere. If he is called to serve I will support him proudly, I just won't sleep very well at night. My wife will be a basket case! I have a 15 year old son that can't wait to turn 17 and enlist in the USMC. He already has USMC screen savers and posters. Maybe in 2 years our troops will be withdrawn and the world at peace again. If not, at least he knows the best branch to join! It still doesn't keep me from being scared s***less.

Thanks again for all your help. Semper Fi.

Semper Fi :thumbup: :flag: :iwo:

P.S. I let my seven year old grandson watch "Full Metal Jacket" to scare him, he didn't understand why Marines were fighting with each other that they are on the same team, but the next day he told his mother he wanted to go to military camp, lol

Zulu 36
07-04-06, 02:25 PM
As a parent, I have no objections to my children joining the military. Service to our country has been a family tradition at least as far back as the Civil War.

My younger brother and I are third-generation Marines (I made Vietnam, he was a little too young). Dad was a scout-sniper in the 6th Marines on Saipan and Tinian. His uncle was a Marine captain, an SBD pilot KIA at Guadalcanal.

Dad almost went to Korea as an Army Reserve officer, but his employer successfuly begged the Army not to send him (he was a cop at the time and the PD was grossly shorthanded because so many cops had been called up). My father not not amused with the PD as he was ready to go. I did the Gulf War as a Michigan Air National Guardsman (my PD couldn't wait for me to get out of town) ;)

My brothers and I received nothing but encouragment to join if that was our wish (my youngest brother tried for the Marines, but his eye sight was too poor for any branch). My dad did take time to show us his scars and the box full of the bits of Japanese mortar and grenade fragmentation he'd been picking out of his hide and saving since 1944 - just so we had the whole story.

Now, my oldest daughter (22) is in the Air Force Reserves (she admits she is too girly-girl to be a Marine). As soon as she is fully qualified in her job, within the next year, she will likely make a trip to the big sand box. My 13-year old daughter wants to be in the Air Force too (same reason), but my 8-year old son wants to be a Marine.

He will probably be a force recon type too. He is quite a smart little snot, physically active, loves swimming, camping and shooting guns. He has no problem getting dirty while doing dangerous stuff, like hunting gators near our house with a small knife and a ball bat.

OK, maybe he isn't so smart after all. :p But he is still force recon material.

Will I be worried if my oldest goes over to Iraq or the 'Stan? Sure, you bet. But she volunteered and I am very proud of her.

wsimkins
07-05-06, 07:12 AM
I think it's great that you encourage your children and have a traditional background. I can certainly tell you are very proud of them.

Don't get me wrong, If my childern (I have 6) make the choice to join the service, I will support their decision and be extremely proud of them, I was mearly stating there is no reason for anyone to apologize for not wanting their grand children or their children to serve. Anyone that isn't worried about their loved ones serving during time of war is just plain inhuman in my eyes! It would be like you telling me when you were under fire in the jungles of NAM you weren't scared at all. Fear and Hesitation are both part of love and true human emotion.

As far as tradition, I come from a long line of Navy, Coast Guard and Air Force family members. All have served proudly in WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam & so on. So far I have been the only one that has served in the Marines. My Grandfather died in WWII and is in the Virginia Book of War Heros. My father never served as he was too busy designing the USS Los Angeles Class Submarine for the Navy. He elected to go to college instead and become a Nuclear Physicist and I'm damn proud of him. I hope my oldest son follows in his footsteps (that's what he is studying to be). I elected to go military vice education. Looks as if my 15 year old has decided to follow in my footsteps. I will be just as proud of him as my Nuclear Scientist. As for the rest of them, the future only knows. :nerd:

Until next time. Semper Fi.

10thzodiac
07-05-06, 03:02 PM
In France WWI my Marine Grandfather that I never knew was mustard gassed, shell shocked, committed, then hung himself at Great Lakes Naval hospital.

My father, USA WWII medic was commited three times (PSTD) who died at 39, I was 14. My dad told me that his father (the Marine above) told him and his brother, "if there is another war that he was personally going to take them out and shoot them himself!" The other son, my fathers brother USA participated in the Luzon invasion Phillipines and occupation of Japan. When I told my dads brother I was planning to join the Marines he told me a couple of things, one it was a good idea, that he had the opportunity to be a Marine when drafted but chose the army joking that the Marines were to tough.

My uncle above who said it was a good idea for me to join the Marines, well when his son wanted to join the Marines it was a different story, he begged me to talk him out of it. I think his spoiled brat of a son was just jerking him around about joining the Marines to get attention. That boy now is a recovering alcoholic grooming cats & dogs in Joplin, Mo.

My uncle had quite a collection of Japanese war trophies, swords, knives,
rifles, pistols and bonzai flags...I think they are all in a pawn shop somewhere now. Yes, his boy...