PDA

View Full Version : An utterly disrecpectful cartoon of the Marine Corps emblem!!!

cplwatson2dsrig
06-30-06, 09:58 PM
To all Marines and members,

Last week I was forwarded a political cartoon/sattire from my retired 1stSgt.
It is the most disrespectful and ignorant depiction of our emblem or Marine Corps that I have ever seen.

I urge all Marines and members to check it out and reply to the artist at this newspaper. Demand a public apology of some sort and expain your feelings about what it means to you, us, and our country. Maybe he will reply to you like he did to me, no apology, but he did thank me for my thoughts, WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!!!!!

I am going to forward the cartoon to the O'Rielly factor this weekend and with some luck he will help put pressure on this cartoonist for an apology.

Here is the website: http://www.azcentral.com/php-bin/slideshowx.php?referer=azcentral&ssid=3708&slide_nbr=15&numslides=66&go=1&go=1

The cartoonists e-mail address is: STEVEBENSON@ARIZONAREPUBLIC.COM

We all earned the title, now lets keep its honor clean!!!

SEMPER FI Marines, :flag: :usmc: :no:
CplWatson2dSRIG

marinegreen
06-30-06, 10:18 PM

It is the most disrespectful and ignorant depiction of our emblem or Marine Corps that I have ever seen.

I urge all Marines and members to check it out and reply to the artist at this newspaper. Demand a public apology of some sort and expain your feelings about what it means to you, us, and our country. Maybe he will reply to you like he did to me, no apology, but he did thank me for my thoughts, WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!!!!!

I am going to forward the cartoon to the O'Rielly factor this weekend and with some luck he will help put pressure on this cartoonist for an apology.

Here is the website: http://www.azcentral.com/php-bin/slideshowx.php?referer=azcentral&ssid=3708&slide_nbr=15&numslides=66&go=1&go=1

CplWatson2dSRIG

This has been seen cpl watson and YES,some of us have fired off a letter.This individual is only looking for his 15 mins of fame, also we are seeing just how good the papers are for our enemys,case in point the NYT.I'm sure you have seen their damaging comments also.

cplwatson2dsrig
06-30-06, 10:20 PM
look at the picture closely, he has the eagle with an evil grin and some weird face in the eyelit of the anchor.

cplwatson2dsrig
06-30-06, 10:21 PM
Well this is the 1st i have seen of it, i hope i am not repeating an earlier post, but i felt compelled to act on it.

kentmitchell
07-01-06, 02:43 PM
I sent this to the cartoonist:
Obviously you've never worn the emblem. It's also obvious that you're carrying a double overload of estrogen.
Maybe you should get a testosterone shot and start acting like a man.
Wouldn't do any good. In 35 years in the newspaper business I've never met a cartoonist who wasn't a back-stabbing wuss who hides behind his newspaper's masthead.
You wouldn't dare do something like that emblem when you're face to face with a group of Marines.

Kent Mitchell
Stone Mountain, GA

junker316
07-01-06, 06:38 PM
This is my responce to this Airhead...

Steve Benson,

You may feel compelled to complicate things between two nations at war but to total disrepect the Emblem that US Marines hold dearly has over stepped your bounds. We as Marines know the difference between real men and real *******s likes yourself. Whenever you feel compelled to do something for the Nation you live in, like maybe keep it safe or fight for your own right to free speech instead waiting for the US Military to do it for you, then by GOD do it. But I doubt that you would know the difference between the real enemy and another Military member. Since you wish to jump on this sadistic band wagon that has declared our Marines and Soldiers as total idiots and disgraces I suggest that you appraoch a Marine first. One that just got back from the War and doesn't have the time to deal with you properly. One that has seen his Brothers and or Sisters get blown up, shot, killed in any other fashion. Since your sissy ass won't do the job then don't knock the ones that will. You are about as an embarrassment to the United States Of America as possible to even think that you can create such a picture to get your 15 minutes of fame without worrying who may be coming over your shoulder to prove you wrong. Marines are everywhere and will take up for thier own. We Marines take pride in our acheivements and liberations. Not like you who aer willing to let us do it for you and then open your mouth or picture us as Barbaric imbiciles just waiting to kill. until you have an idea of what it is like to have to take another's life to retain your own or your family members I would advise you to shut the **** up and leave the military to do it's job while your pansy ass sits in comfort that we supply for you. If you have any questions you can contact me at 910-326-3991. Don't hesitate to call because I won't hesitate to answer. To me your are one big pile of **** that I would flush down the tubes just so you don't stink up real journalists with real stories from the front that don't get published because they defrend he United States Military from *******s like you.

Sincerely,

Johnny McCalom

hopefully it just about covers it.

OLE SARG
07-01-06, 09:36 PM
I sent this piece of crap my regards!!!!! He will probably not want to be my friend, like I give a big ole dump!!!

Eat s#$t and die MF!!

SEMPER FI,

roaddawg74
07-01-06, 10:00 PM
All I ask for, is a few minutes in a dark alley with son of a b***.

cplwatson2dsrig
07-02-06, 10:18 AM
how many of you got a reply from mister benson? i did and it was a joke.

Ssgt Rodriguez
07-02-06, 11:42 AM
I wrote to him but he must of done something because it comes back as a recipient failure.

jgehri
07-02-06, 03:06 PM
Address unknown
Miserable SOB

junker316
07-02-06, 07:38 PM
how many of you got a reply from mister benson? i did and it was a joke.

what was the reply???? he did something that sent my Email back to me.

cplwatson2dsrig
07-02-06, 09:06 PM
He thanked me for my thoughts, and told that he was an independant party voter, after i questioned his party affiliation. that was it, no apology's or hint of remorse, or explanation of his thoughts on his cartoon.

cplwatson2dsrig
07-03-06, 06:52 AM
I just e mailed him yesterday, his e mail has been changed. I guess he could not handle the responses from all Marines who have seen his his stroke of ignorance. I will find another way to contact him so the heat can stay on him.

ssgt spanndw
07-03-06, 03:38 PM
<TABLE class=messageheader cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=label noWrap>Date:</TD><TD>Mon, 3 Jul 2006 13:37:47 -0700 (PDT)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label noWrap>From:</TD><TD>"darell spann" <dw_spann@yahoo.com> http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/pim/el/abook_add_1.gifAdd to Address Book (javascript:document.frmAddAddrs.submit()) http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/nt/ic/ut/bsc/txtmess12_1.gifAdd Mobile Alert (http://us.f424.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=9067_854707_37209_608_672_0_5700_ 1840_2002913002&Idx=0&YY=66653&inc=25&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Sent#)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label noWrap>Subject:</TD><TD>your illustration</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label noWrap>To:</TD><TD>STEVEBENSON@ARIZONAREPUBLIC.COM</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><FORM name=frmAddAddrs action=http://address.mail.yahoo.com/yab/us?v=YM&.rand=91572&A=m&simp=1 method=post><INPUT type=hidden value=darell name=fn> <INPUT type=hidden value=spann name=ln> <INPUT type=hidden value=dw_spann@yahoo.com name=e> <INPUT type=hidden value=http://us.f424.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=9067_854707_37209_608_672_0_5700_ 1840_2002913002&order=down&inc=&sort=date&view=a&head=b&box=Sent&YY=7878 name=.done> </FORM>
<!-- type = text -->Its very clear to me that you have never served a day as a service member, especially as a US Marine. Your illustration of the eagle globe and anchor was a slap to the face of every Marine who has ever earned the title. You sit behind your desk, pecking away at your keyboard, sketching some worthless depiction, while young men and women sit in a fighting hole sketching out range cards. Its a damn good thing there are Marines, otherwise youd be working for a german newspaper drawing pictures of your hero, hitler. You wouldnt last a day in one of our or any servicemembers boots.

SSgt DW Spann
USMC

criggleman
07-03-06, 08:05 PM
http://www.ffrf.org/awards/emperor/images/benson.jpg

DonMoore
07-04-06, 12:20 AM
Wrote the guy, no response yet, will let you know what happens.

marinegreen
07-04-06, 12:35 AM
http://www.ffrf.org/awards/emperor/images/benson.jpg

Well kiss my azz,never in a million yrs would I had believed anyone but it is true, I'm seeing it before my very eyes for the very 1st time, 'SNAIL SH*T DOES EXIST"

mmoore98
07-04-06, 03:26 PM
I sent him a note, but it came back just a minute ago as "receipient does not like sender" and "not a vaild address", so I'm sure he didn't like the responses he was getting....or he was so overwhelmed and his site so full, that it was just easier to shut it down, and get a new site.

Gary Moore
Former Cpl/USMC
Viet Nam Era...they don't have service numbers anymore, do they.

shabil37
07-04-06, 04:03 PM
:devious: I just sent that piece of S$$$ what i think of him. Ah's like him couldn't make it in the real world.

Semper Fi Bill :flag:

redneck13
07-04-06, 04:13 PM
:mad: :evilgrin: :flag: I sent him one that I posted earlier. And I haven't gotten a reply. I don't care. He's just another "idiot" trying to gain some fame, by using other's. He's a sorry piece of humanity, which we have many of his kind. Yeah, it really P*****me off, and I spoke up. I also added a post, from another Marine who wrote the other side of how it might be taken, and maybe this idiot did us a favor and those on duty, with this cartoon. It could strike even more fear into our enemies. We can't sit round and not respond. Is his e-mail the same, or has it been changed? Just in case, I may have anudder urge to give him a good pen lashing....Carryon you bunch of Maggot's. SF

cplwatson2dsrig
07-04-06, 06:09 PM

CplWatson2dSRIG

Mr Benson's new address is: steve.benson@arizonarepublic.com

If you can't get through to him there send you mail to the editors, check out their letter guidelines though. I am working on a letter to them now.

If he (benson) does not want to deal with this situation and wants to ignore it, then we should put heat on his editor and in any other ways possible.

CplWatson2dsrig.

USpunkMC
07-04-06, 07:09 PM
Just gave my thoughts to him on his arrogant picture. I believe this address will work. steve.benson@arizonarepublic.com Its the same as before, just with a period in the middle.

shabil37
07-04-06, 08:11 PM
I also just got a reply no such user.Piece of **** couldn't stand up like the rest of us.:flag:

rgprunty
07-04-06, 10:48 PM
The reason some of his email was returned was that the address posted is wrong....

It's steve.benson@arizonarepublic.com

My email to him was returned due to a bad address and I had to go to the newspaper's home page to look up staff addresses to find the real one. he did not serve in the Corps so he's ignorant of what that globe and anchor means to those of who did and pride ourselves on being one of the 10 percenters. However, not apologizing when pointed out that he crewed up big time just shows what kind of man he is.. or should I say isn't.

RingoShort
07-05-06, 12:22 AM
I replied as well... The Marine Corps is a family business with my father, my brother, an uncle, and 2 cousins all doing honorable time (and combat time for 3). HEre is my reply... I hope he... well, nothing, because O care not enough for him to hope anything for him.

I understand the idea of the political cartoon is to give the public something to think about, and to put forth the artists thoughts while attempting levity; however, using the symbol of ANY branch of the military is severely off-line and absolutely belittles you and the institution you wish to poke fun at, as well as the publication(s) that you are printed in.
I find it particularly offensive that you have used the Marine Corps emblem in such a manner, and find it even more antagonizing that you have changed the name of the Marines to reflect some agenda you hold, and to make cheap political points. It is abhorrant to do such with ANY branch of the service; however using the most respect and- till now- nearly unsmudged name of the United States Marine Corps is so completely out of line that it borders on the laughable... although I doubt any of the members of that fine organization would be willing to put the word "laughable" anywhere near you or your work.
Currently, there is- as I am sure you know- a soldier from the 101st Airborne who is being tried for conspiracy, rape, and murder of a young Iraqi woman. I wonder if we will see anything you might design with the US Army emblem, and a smear on the US Army name? I think not, and I would hope not.
Although I sincerely don't believe you are the type of man who is willing to admit that you have made a mistake of this magnitude and to apologize (you more than likely feel that cheap shots are not a mistake, I am guessing), I feel that you owe the Marines who have served their nation well and honorably an apology, and as you have, in effect, tried and convicted Amreican Citizens who are entitled to be innocent until proven guilty, you should also apologize to the Marines who are accused of involvement in any wrong doing, and to the military lawyers who are required to attempt an acquittal with comments suich as yours attempting to derail their right to due process. One more thing you should be made aware of, in case you had not the information: The Arizona Republic is read widely in the Yuma Arizona area by the very Marines that you are belittling, and I can almost guarantee that a very great majority of them will be cancelling their subscriptions, and/or will stop reading your newspaper as a result of your cartoon. I am quitre sure, also, that many of those will be more than willing to tell your editors exactly why it is they made that decision. Although, I am sure they are the forgiving type that won't let a few hundred/thousand newspapers a day stand between you and freedom of speech/ press, I would be willing to guess that they would be interested in having an apology sent to those who serve, and those who read. Well, not to worry... I am sure they are willing to take the brunt of the heat. After all... it IS their newspaper, you are simply the one who were discourteous enough to turn the cartoon in for printing.
One last thought: Please be advised that I am sending a copy of your cartoon along with a note explaining why my local papers should not carry your artwork now, or at any time in the future that they might be of a mind to. As I live in small-town America with an overly large population of military veterans (and 2 Marine Corps League Detachments with over-lapping territories, due to the numbers of Marines locally), I am sure that this is an area where your stream of income would not be that large in the near future.

marinegreen
07-05-06, 01:43 AM
Anyone work for a newspaper,maybe put a toon in about him/newspaper being a communist/terrorist sympathsizer !!!

shorty49715
07-05-06, 05:52 AM
I JUST LOOKED AT THE CARTOON (#17 OF 66). I HAVE TO ADD MY DISGUST TO ALL OTHERS. OBVIOUSLY, HE WAS NEVER IN ANY BRANCH OF SERVICE, OR HE WOULD NEVER DISRESPECT A SERVICE EMBLEM LIKE THAT.:evilgrin: SGT SHORTROUND (RET)

cplwatson2dsrig
07-05-06, 05:34 PM
The reason some of his email was returned was that the address posted is wrong....

It's steve.benson@arizonarepublic.com

My email to him was returned due to a bad address and I had to go to the newspaper's home page to look up staff addresses to find the real one. he did not serve in the Corps so he's ignorant of what that globe and anchor means to those of who did and pride ourselves on being one of the 10 percenters. However, not apologizing when pointed out that he crewed up big time just shows what kind of man he is.. or should I say isn't.

I have put his new address in an earlier post. His address was without the dot when he released the picture. He changed the address probally becuase of a large surge in mail. this board is not the only circle reply'ing to this picture.

DonMoore
07-05-06, 07:29 PM
I emailed the artist with comments, still no answer.

USpunkMC
07-05-06, 08:24 PM
Thank you, Snyder, for taking the time to express your opinion.
Best wishes,
Steve Benson

---What an A**---:mad:

junker316
07-07-06, 05:46 PM
LeatherNecks,

I called Steve Benson and talked to him personally. He Says that he can make fun of any-one and anything he wants without hesitation. He does not wish to confront any-one with real issues and will only talk in circles. Here is a Phone Number to jis Supervisoring Editor Mr. Ken Western 1-602-444-8138 and here is Mr. Steve Benson's work Number 1-602-444-4407. I figure if we give them enough heat that they will either change thier numbers or be confronted with the issue and have to do something about it. Devil Dawgs It's up to us now.

CplHillman
07-07-06, 06:13 PM
I sent this guy a letter today. I do not know if he will get it but i hope it will educate him about Marines. The most fun i had was in the Marines and it is good to know that some of you out there still get ****ed when some one tries to **** on us. SF

:flag: Cpl P. Hillman
MWHS-3
82-85

marinegreen
07-07-06, 06:46 PM
LeatherNecks,

I called Steve Benson and talked to him personally. He Says that he can make fun of any-one and anything he wants without hesitation. He does not wish to confront any-one with real issues and will only talk in circles. Here is a Phone Number to jis Supervisoring Editor Mr. Ken Western 1-602-444-8138 and here is Mr. Steve Benson's work Number 1-602-444-4407. I figure if we give them enough heat that they will either change thier numbers or be confronted with the issue and have to do something about it. Devil Dawgs It's up to us now.

Cuddo's to Junker316 Bro's/Sister Marines. I'll be on the sqauk box Monday. Be neat if 30,000 jarheads from leatherneck. com phoned in a complaint or sent a nice fuq-u-o-gram to this sorry lil maggot benson. What a person wont do to get there 15 min of fame.

junker316
07-07-06, 06:58 PM
Leathernecks,

Mr. Western Called me back and I identified our views on this Disrepectful Pic of our Beloved Emblem. He was very reasurring that his respectful Newspaper does not condone such things and that hopefully such Pics won't been seen again. I stated the obvious to us, which is that the Emblem of the USMC is earned and not given and that we as Marines don't take such things lightly to include the sencitivity of our brothers and sisters coming back from the front. Mr. Western was very understanding and very helpful. Even though after the conversation with Mr Benson being a total failure because of his low life attitude Mr. Western was more than praising our military efforts. Mr. Western only wishes that we all can push passed this and let by gones be by gones. I wish to thank Mr. Western for his call back and listening to my concerns.

CplHillman
07-07-06, 07:36 PM
this guy is a jerk wtf does ubiquitous mean anyway? I tried to be nice but retards like him college or no need to have their backsides removed. Maybe he should see a proctologist. EVERYONE CALL HIM!!!

junker316
07-07-06, 07:40 PM
I told you all that Steve Benson is a total A$$hole. Call Mr Western and express your views with him. His Number is listed as well.

RingoShort
07-07-06, 08:10 PM
Mr. Western wants by-gones to be by-gones for the very simple fact that it is good business for him to have it such, and for us to "forgive and forget" about this little indescretion.
Well, Marines, I- for one- am not willing to do either. My father was one of the last Vietnam casualties (Agent Orange brain tumor in '98), and my brother, being Forced Recon has been in the heat as well. Not to mention that we have Brothers and Sisters who are currently feeling the heat in more ways than one, and another 8 from my area left today. Yes, there are some who wore the uniform who might not deserve the respect earned by those doing good time; however, from someone who never put their name reputation, and bodyparts on the line for something they might not have even believed in, EVERYONE who ever wore the Eagle Globe and Anchor (as well as the other branches of the service) deserves nothing but praise and respect, and a hearty thank you for doing what they, themselves, would never have the intestinal fortitude to handle.
I think I'm going to have to drop Mr. Western a little note. I am feeling a bit "saucy" this fine Marine Coprps evening.

:flag: :iwo: :evilgrin:

junker316
07-07-06, 08:22 PM
Mr. Western wants by-gones to be by-gones for the very simple fact that it is good business for him to have it such, and for us to "forgive and forget" about this little indescretion.
Well, Marines, I- for one- am not willing to do either. My father was one of the last Vietnam casualties (Agent Orange brain tumor in '98), and my brother, being Forced Recon has been in the heat as well. Not to mention that we have Brothers and Sisters who are currently feeling the heat in more ways than one, and another 8 from my area left today. Yes, there are some who wore the uniform who might not deserve the respect earned by those doing good time; however, from someone who never put their name reputation, and bodyparts on the line for something they might not have even believed in, EVERYONE who ever wore the Eagle Globe and Anchor (as well as the other branches of the service) deserves nothing but praise and respect, and a hearty thank you for doing what they, themselves, would never have the intestinal fortitude to handle.
I think I'm going to have to drop Mr. Western a little note. I am feeling a bit "saucy" this fine Marine Coprps evening.

:flag: :iwo: :evilgrin:

I didn't say I believed his respounce. But at least he did listen to what I said. As for Steve Benson...well just keep reading the posts from those who call him. Me Western will get the point if as many of us call him as possible. I know he just wanted to " satisfy " my remarks. I know he wants me to believe that all is fine in this world and that his Newspaper has no option but to allow Steve Benson to publish such trash about the Military. I say to keep calling until every-one of us Marines and loved ones of Marines has voiced our thoughts. I also let Mr Western know that there is a Black list formed by the Military that could make sure that his Newspapers never make it on to military installations. Of causing thousands of dollars of lost revenue for the paper. But at least he gave me a reply whereas Steve Benson is a traitor to this land and will try to contain that he can do as he pleases no matter who it offends. Maybe just maybe we as Marines can sue his arse, since that seems to be the " in " thing now a days, for false accusations against us Marines. I figure that the Newspaper might be willing to settle out of court. Hell I might even give it a try. What do you all think??????

cplwatson2dsrig
07-09-06, 12:27 PM
Mr Western is just trying to calm the situation down, that is probally part of his job, to protect the papers image. I like the idea of a slander lawsuit as such that junker316 mentioned, maybe a class action lawsuit on behalf of all marines, and any payout would go to marine widows and children for college funds, trust funds for hard time etc... anybody with legal friends or knowledge, is this possible???

cplwatson2dsrig

Future-USMC-LT
07-09-06, 12:55 PM
I don't think the f***er is going to respond to any of our emails. He was stupid enough to make the cartoon, but doesn't have the balls to respond when confronted by those he has slapped in the face. Assh&&&

Zulu 36
07-09-06, 01:50 PM
Forget a lawsuit. As a "political cartoonist" for the media, to show any kind of slander/libel: #1 - there were in fact actual damages suffered by the plaintiffs casued by that cartoon. #2 - he drew the cartoon with actual malice aforethought, knowing it was 100% false, knowing it would cause damages, and recklessly not caring.

This is nearly an impossible legal burden to prove in this country given the First Amendment and a number of court cases ruled upon by the Black Robe Society (actual malice is a court invented thing, not a Constitutional thing).

In fact, such a suit likely wouldn't survive past the first motion for summary dismissal, never mind see a jury (even if you could get a lawyer to file it in the first place).

Even if actual damages were suffered by the plaintiff, or class of plaintiffs (not legally likely), proving he drew that cartoon with actual malice aforethought, and not just expressing a simple "opinion," is the actual impossibility. The media gets a whole lot of room to screw with people this way, and they use it. :mad:

Although I am not a lawyer, I've been through this slander, libel, and defamation thing a number of times as a police officer.

criggleman
07-09-06, 02:01 PM
A lawsuit is a waste of time, spend time calling his editor or the sorry a**hole Steve Benson. This pinhead spit on his own grandfather, you know he doesn't give a damn about the Marines. I say we make his life a living hell, no rest for the bastard. :devious:

RingoShort
07-09-06, 05:29 PM
I actually got a reply from the civilian in question. He thanked me for my e-mail. Gee, what a swell guy.

:flag: :iwo:

junker316
07-09-06, 05:45 PM
Sounds to me like either the paper goes out of business for his actions the revenue lost from this action will have to cause some-one to do something about this A$$hole. Since Zulu knows what he is talking about, and after checking into myself to see what kinds results we could look forward to, the only thing we as the " Plaintiffs " can do is impress upon him and his bosses that unless there is something done about it that we intend to make a suggestion to other not to buy the paper. Thus bringing the revenue down until closure of the paper is imminate. From what I checcked into we can not sued for lose of revenue, thus the 1st Admend. is on our side, and by suggesting that the Paper's cartoonist is by far using the paper to provide his political views to hundreds of readers. Also maliously attacking the US Military by suggesting to the public that everything we do ends in loss of innocent lives, torturing of POWs, and malious attacks upon civilians as pay back against the insurgents respouncible for loss of American lives. Making us look like we are no better than the enemy we are fighting against. Thus the Geneva Convention is not an issue used by the US Military Forces in either Iraq or Afghanistan. Maybe those of us, that can not be held to our actions as active Duty or Reservists, that are in the area of this Paper could hold a demostration against the paper on thier front door. Of course inviting the News and other Papers to the event to show moral support for our Marine Brothers anad Sisters.

Just something to think about....:usmc: :flag: :mad:

helen25
07-26-06, 07:13 AM
I sent this guy an email he did reply calling me an idoit cuz i refered to the Marine Corps AS 'the Core" maybe i shouldnt have but he was very rude so disrespectfull hope he feels good about himself cuz thats the only one who will l&r helen