PDA

View Full Version : Questions about School Of Infantry

Focus Fate
06-30-06, 02:54 PM
I'm off to SOI (east) soon, and I've heard a lot about it from the breifs at bootcamp and videos and things I've read about it online. So I just want to get some things cleared up. They told us 90% of our time is spent in field. Does that mean week-long, or just out in the field for the day then going back to the squad bay? I've heard after a certain ammount of time there we get some libo weekends, does that mean we don't get time to ourselves on Sundays (kind of similar to bootcamp, so we can go to church and whatnot). So I'm kind of just looking to know how an average day at SOI will go. Thanks Marines!

10thzodiac
06-30-06, 03:29 PM
SOI back in 1961 was called ITR (Infantry Training Regiment), didn't know they changed it. Remember allot of shi*ing & grinning in the boonies and some time off on weekends. I imagine it hasn't changed that much. Yes, we went back to our quanset huts allot, more times than not. Have fun and good luck

SF

Phantom Blooper
06-30-06, 05:04 PM
http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/soi/vid_soi.html

Focus Fate
06-30-06, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the video but I've seen that one and a few others before

Stanley Hroszow
06-30-06, 07:45 PM
Yes it is the same at every Duty Station

10thzodiac
06-30-06, 08:20 PM
If you are wondering are the sergeants just as intense as boot camp, for me I found them (back in '61) not as bad and not over all as smart at boot camp sergeants, but it has been a long time ago and not everyones experiences will be the same. The unit size was much larger then and you could easily get lost in the crowd, in other words the individual harassment was way down even if you brought attention to yourself.

Focus Fate
06-30-06, 08:49 PM
If you are wondering are the sergeants just as intense as boot camp, for me I found them (back in '61) not as bad and not over all as smart at boot camp sergeants, but it has been a long time ago and not everyones experiences will be the same. The unit size was much larger then and you could easily get lost in the crowd, in other words the individual harassment was way down even if you brought attention to yourself.

Ya I've heard a lot of people say its not as bad as bootcamp at all, and that you're actually treated like a human being :p

10thzodiac
06-30-06, 09:46 PM
Yes, compared to boot camp it was much better. I don't know what your MOS is, I was the only 0800 out of my boot camp platoon and it was days before I found out what it was, then I was still puzzled because the DI said I was a cannon cocker(?). I wound up in a chicken-sh*t artillery outfit; somehere between boot camp and ITR for harassment. Some real crazy goings on's there guys getting into trouble big time. Things got better gradually especially when I made E-4 in two years. Go to Japan or Okinawa if you get the chance. A retired army Sergeant Major from the 101st A-B a few years back told me the first thing you learn in the Army is "STAY AWAY FROM STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WILL GET YOU KILLED!" Good advice for Marines too.

WalkingMan
07-01-06, 06:50 AM
I'm off to SOI (east) soon, and I've heard a lot about it from the breifs at bootcamp and videos and things I've read about it online. So I just want to get some things cleared up. They told us 90% of our time is spent in field. Does that mean week-long, or just out in the field for the day then going back to the squad bay? I've heard after a certain ammount of time there we get some libo weekends, does that mean we don't get time to ourselves on Sundays (kind of similar to bootcamp, so we can go to church and whatnot). So I'm kind of just looking to know how an average day at SOI will go. Thanks Marines!

I did it back in 1968 when it was still called ITR (Infantry Training Regiment) at Camp Pendleton.

We slept in the barracks most nights, but did spend most of our time out in the hills, humping, and learning infantry basics.

There was none of the psychological pressure we were under during boot camp though... we were treated like regular Marines (well... almost :) ).

I remember going to Disneyland one weekend, and staying at a place called the 'Space Age Motel' ... about 10 of us in a single room, sleeping on the floor, mostly.

I also remember being fairly naieve... we had to wear our uniforms when we went on liberty while in ITR, and it took a while to figure out that all those wise guys with the short haircuts cracking jokes at us were other Marines, wearing civvies. ;)

Focus Fate
07-01-06, 02:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies, anyone who's gone through recently though?

RLeon
07-01-06, 06:56 PM
Are you going to ITB or MCT? I don't know about liberty and stuff but your sure going to do a lot of humping especially if your going ITB route...enjoy

Focus Fate
07-01-06, 07:23 PM
going ITB, good to know there'll be plenty of long humps, *sigh* Oh well I'll learn to love it :)

marinegreen
07-01-06, 07:32 PM
Hey FOCUS Fate, by your profile you dont graduate boot camp until july 23rd, since when did puppy's get puters in boot camp ???

Focus Fate
07-01-06, 08:34 PM
Hey FOCUS Fate, by your profile you dont graduate boot camp until july 23rd, since when did puppy's get puters in boot camp ???

Because I ****ed up my profile apparently. I graduated JUNE 23rd. Sorry if I offended you. Since it seems like you want to try and call me out.

jinelson
07-01-06, 08:40 PM
OK marinegreen good eye but I back this Marines legitimacy 100% he did graduate June 23rd and just made an error filling out his profile. He is no poser.

Semper Fi

Jim

yellowwing
07-01-06, 08:51 PM
I back this Marines legitimacy 100% he did graduate June 23rd and just made an error filling out his profile. He is no poser.
Nope, he one that we are expecting good things from. Please give us a hand in adding to his knowledge and prepardness. Seriously, I swear that this lad is worth it. SSgt Jim Nelson and I have his back 100%.

10thzodiac
07-01-06, 08:54 PM
going ITB, good to know there'll be plenty of long humps, *sigh* Oh well I'll learn to love it :)

I got lucky at ITR every time I turned around I was loaded with poison oak and missed a lot of humping :D . Everytime they got me snooping & pooping in the boonies I got it...ITR, Division, NCO Leadership School you name it. Calamine lotion was a joke, the only thing that would work was cortizone injections. At ITR my leg swelled up so big I couldn't put my utility pants on. I though for sure this was my ticket back home, lol.

SF

yellowwing
07-01-06, 09:06 PM
At ITR my leg swelled up so big I couldn't put my utility pants on. I though for sure this was my ticket back home, lol.
I hear ya'! There's that nasty little Demon that goads you into taking the easy way out. But the larger portion of you screams out, No Never! Poison Oak Be Damned, I'm Going to Hang in and Do My Job.

A sane person does not want 20 hours days eating crackers and peanut butter, and sleeping in some dirt hole.

Focus Fate
07-01-06, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the tip on poison oak. I'll keep an eye out LOL

10thzodiac
07-01-06, 09:52 PM
I hear ya'! There's that nasty little Demon that goads you into taking the easy way out. But the larger portion of you screams out, No Never! Poison Oak Be Damned, I'm Going to Hang in and Do My Job.

A sane person does not want 20 hours days eating crackers and peanut butter, and sleeping in some dirt hole.

Dammm! your good, how did you know that's what we ate for the first few days after arriving by jet to Guantanamo for a front row seat at WWIII...peanut butter, punk and frozen milk and off brand warm soda. Those people they have imprisoned there have it better than we did. I was one big misquito bite... wasps too... chugging quinine, mud everywhere. Talk about torturing prisoners...

"Go tell it to the Marines!" ~ Roosevelt

:iwo:

testforecho2112
07-01-06, 09:59 PM
I went through SOI back in 92. Like the others posted, be prepared for early mornings waiting to draw weapons at the armory, long humps to BFE, lots of weapons time, long humps BACK, long nights cleaning weapons at the armory, lots of MRE's. And LOTS of Hurry up and Wait. The troop handlers were fairly competent, they arent as hard core as DI's but dont put up with any $hit either. They are more likely to settle you out if you get out of line. They treat you like Marines, and expect you to act like one.

If you arent humping or in the field, I remember having most evenings to our selves, and if we had a good field day, Thurs nights, we usually had liberty early Fri afternoon until 0600 Monday mornings...Stay out of the E club, or at least keep your mouth shut. Dont go down on the hookers in tiajuana either...

Bill

Focus Fate
07-01-06, 10:03 PM
LOL duley noted test

10thzodiac
07-01-06, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the tip on poison oak. I'll keep an eye out LOL

When you get it in your eyes you know you been somewhere...experience...

The last time I got it was in '76 in the Wisconsin boonies rolling in the bushes with the Mrs., lol :banana:

SF

RLeon
07-01-06, 10:18 PM
... And LOTS of Hurry up and Wait.

You said it all right there. Ah, how I miss the Corps............:marine:

10thzodiac
07-01-06, 10:30 PM
Stay out of the E club, or at least keep your mouth shut. Dont go down on the hookers in tiajuana either...

Bill

And I won't get it again!

Good advice testforecho2112 wish I listened to my uncle WWII he warned me (he called it a strain that he got in the Phillipines WWII, lol) ah, but you know stupid males with a raging hard on and no where to put it.

A little WWII story my uncle told me about how in the army the soldiers were issued a pro, a purple tablet with a skull and cross bones on it to be dissolved in water and used as a wash after exposure. Well, one night in the Phillipines his buddy said, kid throw me that canteen and randomly my uncle threw him a canteen unknowing that a pro mixture was in it. Lucky they were attached to a field hospital because his buddy had two thirds of his stomach removed that night. First they tried court-marshalling my uncle for trying to kill his buddy, then they tried court-marshalling his buddy for trying to commit suicide.

testforecho2112
07-01-06, 10:33 PM
Ha! One of the things I love about Leatherneck.com, other than all you nasty jarheads, is the memories that some of these topics bring back...

Fun now, but man I hated those humps then...anyone remember the 'microwave tower just north of SOI...everytime one of our humps passed (every hump I think) it, we climbed it...several times...

Bill

Focus Fate
07-01-06, 10:56 PM
damn crazy stuff you're describing. Still can't wait to go and prove my mettal again. (sp?)

yellowwing
07-01-06, 11:16 PM
damn crazy stuff you're describing. Still can't wait to go and prove my mettal again. (sp?)
You wouldn't be one of us if you refused to take on new challenges. Semper Fi!

testforecho2112
07-02-06, 12:25 AM
Just wait until you get to climb Mt. Motherphucker and the Jolly Green Giant a few times...you'll wish you had chosen Motor T. Those $hit heads would drive by us and wave....

Good luck, seriously. You'll do well. Just keep up the PT prior to SOI, they jump right into it.

Bill

RLeon
07-02-06, 12:46 AM
Just wait until you get to climb Mt. Motherphucker and the Jolly Green Giant a few times...you'll wish you had chosen Motor T. Those $hit heads would drive by us and wave....
Bill

Motor T baby! If you can't truck it F@*# it! :D

marinegreen
07-02-06, 01:47 AM
WHoooaaa fellow jarheads,easy on the ole guy,focus fate dont get to bent on me calling out your date. Lil tipster for you yung'un,take 3-4 capfuls of vinegar everyday and the skeeters and anyother lil flying,crawling creature wont mess with ya,just as long as you get some sweat ooozzzing from the pores.SF Devildog,

kentmitchell
07-02-06, 09:10 AM
A few things about ITR at Pendleton in '57: <br />
--It was the first time a NCO in charge addressed me as &quot;Marine,&quot; instead of &quot;private.&quot; He was chewing me out but I wasn't sure he was even talking to...

Focus Fate
07-02-06, 09:32 AM
This stuff sounds intense, cant wait!

yellowwing
07-02-06, 09:41 AM
take 3-4 capfuls of vinegar everyday and the skeeters and any other lil flying,crawling creature wont mess with ya
I hear tale that loading up on the garlic and tobasco will make 'yer blood non-tasty also. Don't know if it is true, but it sure makes the morning eggs mighty tasty! :banana:

Phantom Blooper
07-02-06, 09:51 AM
Watch out for the Brown Recluse Spiders check your boots in the field before you put them back on, the bite is nasty and means a hospital stay. Chiggers are bad around this time of year in tall grass and fields. Watch out for snakes..all kinds. And if you are down around Verona Loop you may see some Black bears scavenging in the dumpster for old chow. Back when the C-Rats were in it was funny to stand back and watch them get a can of anything and open it faster than a John Wayne.:evilgrin:

10thzodiac
07-04-06, 10:41 PM
Watch out for the Brown Recluse Spiders check your boots in the field before you put them back on, the bite is nasty and means a hospital stay. Chiggers are bad around this time of year in tall grass and fields. Watch out for snakes..all kinds. And if you are down around Verona Loop you may see some Black bears scavenging in the dumpster for old chow. Back when the C-Rats were in it was funny to stand back and watch them get a can of anything and open it faster than a John Wayne.:evilgrin:

While in Pendleton in 1962, we had a plague of spiders…Tarantulas everywhere. When you were in your sleeping bags at night in the boondocks, they would like to curl up on your warm face sticking out the bag. I remember when I was snooping & pooping in the boonies at NCO school I’d have to avoid crawling over the annoying devils, I guess they don't see well they would come right at you head on while your crawling. Oh, we had scorpions too.

<O:p
One time then while accompany the skipper on an inspection of my squad bay he heard loud scratching noises coming from a locker and wanted to know what it was. I knew this Marine had caught some tarantulas and figured it out right away. We got him to open up his wall locker and he had put two tarantulas together in an empty individual “C” ration box. The skipper told him to toss them out the window (2<SUP>nd</SUP> floor) and you could actually hear those suckers hit the ground they were so big.