View Full Version : Fallen comrade inspires Parris Island Marine Band

thedrifter
06-29-06, 01:14 PM
Fallen comrade inspires Parris Island Marine Band
Cpl. Gregory Lust died June 18 while hiking with fellow band members

Published Thursday June 29 2006
By LORI YOUNT
The Beaufort Gazette

Members of the Parris Island Marine Band don't usually perform rescue missions, but conductor Chief Warrant Officer Christian Flores said his Marines were ready when Cpl. Gregory Lust slipped and fell 50 feet from a hiking trail in Pennsylvania.

"I'm very proud of the way my Marines acted that day," he said. "From the time it happened, they had to administer CPR for an hour before medical assistance arrived. They didn't want to give up or let go."

The band members decided to take a trip to Leonard Harrison State Park on June 18 after their plane was delayed on their way home from playing in the Laurel Festival that weekend.

Park officials said Lust had wandered off the park's already difficult trails to photograph waterfalls, but Flores said the few band members with Lust maintain they were on the path the entire time.

With no cell phone reception, band members had to run 15 minutes to the nearest ranger station as others took a treacherous route to reach Lust.

"Some of these guys amazed me," Flores said. "Some of them I wouldn't expect to step up to a leadership role."

However, Lust died on impact, according to the Tioga County coroner, so their efforts didn't revive him.

The park and the Marine Corps continue to investigate the incident.

Meanwhile, the 43-member band mourns the loss of the tall, lanky 21-year-old red-head clarinet player.

"In general, he was a good kid," Flores said. "That's why it had such an impact. He was everyone's friend."

At a memorial service June 21, friends shared tears and laughter as they remembered Lust, always full of surprises. In one tale, a friend invited Lust to go bowling with him. Asked if he could bowl, Lust replied "I'm OK," and then threw nine strikes.

"He was subtle, low key," Flores said. "But when he put that horn to his face, he could hold his own with anybody."

Lust joined the band in July 2004 as his first duty assignment. The Parris Island band is one of 12 Marine bands worldwide and has a rigorous schedule because it plays every Thursday and Friday as part of recruit graduation.

Lust's roommate in the barracks, who is a saxophone player in the band, was able to attend Lust's funeral in Reading, Pa., Flores said. Lust had a twin brother and another brother in the Marine Corps.

"His father was more concerned about us here," Flores said of his conversation with Lust's dad. "He said 'I want to thank you for making his time in the Marine Corps a very good one.'"

This year was the band's first at the Laurel Festival in Wellsboro, Pa. Flores said the band is sent all over the country, depending on the availability of other bands.

According to band members, Lust, a Pennsylvania native, said he always wanted to visit the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania and loved nature.

And the band members made sure he was carried out of the park with dignity, using their shirts to cover up Lust's body, Flores said.

"If I ever have an accident, I want those guys around me," he said.

In the wake of Lust's death, they stand side-by-side, not skipping a beat in the band's hectic schedule.

"We're using it as a little bit of inspiration," Flores said. "We are very busy this week. It's a blessing in disguise. It gives us a sense of purpose and contributes to the healing process. ... He'll be the guy we toast once a year."

Ellie