PDA

View Full Version : New to this

DeannaP
06-28-06, 11:22 AM
Hi
I'm new to this. Don't really know why I joined except that I have a deep admiration for the Marine Corps. Maybe I can make a few new friends too.

MillRatUSMC
06-28-06, 11:23 AM
Welcome Deanna

Camper51
06-28-06, 11:36 AM
Welcome aboard!!!

GySgtRet
06-28-06, 11:37 AM
Welcome Aboard...!!!

Marines can always use new friends...!!!!

DeannaP
06-28-06, 01:27 PM
Wow! I was amazed at such a quick response. Thank you for the warm welcome. Hopefully, I will be able to add some "enlightment" from a non military side from time to time. I have 2 questions. In Marine Corps ranks, what is the difference in MSgt and 1stSgt? And what does it mean when you hear one speak of being a commissioned or non commissioned officer?

quillhill
06-28-06, 01:42 PM
Welcome, DeannaP. Marines, as I've come to discover, are some of the best friends you could ever ask for.

Well, I was going to try and answer your question about ranks, but I'm thinking I can't do it with the type of accuracy it deserves. I think en.wikipedia.org is a great source for info on basic stuff like that (if you don't get an answer here....). You can do a search there on the US Marine Corps.

But, I'm sure you'll get all you need and more from the Marines here.

GySgtRet
06-28-06, 01:57 PM
Good question and I am a minute away from answering it for you.

In the enlisted ranks of the Marine Corps you have MOSs (Military Occupational Specialties). Within those MOSs there are technical and administrative MOSs. During a Marine's Career while going up the ranks there is testing that goes on for that MOS and also cutting scores for that MOS. From Private to Lance Corporal this is called a non-rate but still have an MOS. From Corporal to Sergeant is a non-commisioned officer. Still with the MOS that they strated with. This is in general terms however, a Marine may qualify for a lateral move out of their MOS, at whick time if there is a formal school they would go through this at this time. From Staff Sergeant to Master Gunnery Sergeant/ First Sergeant to Sergent Major, E-6 - E-9.
The Staff Sergeant and Gunnery Sergent retain their MOS. Also, a Master Sergent and Master Gunnery Sergeant retain their MOS. The First Sergeant and Sergeant Major are administrative and no longer pratice their MOS after achieveing these two ranks. A commisioned officer is the ranks including Second Lieutenant through General.

I hope that this answers your questions.

:D

quillhill
06-28-06, 02:28 PM
Hey Ed,

what are the different routes someone can take to become an officer? There's Officer Candidacy School for those with a college degree. And then, of course, you can go with the Marine option, right, at the Naval Academy?Oh, and Reserve Officer Training Corps commissions (which goes with the college degree thing). And then there's a couple ways for enlisted types to become officers, which I can't remember.

Phantom Blooper
06-28-06, 03:09 PM
Maybe this may help.... Welcome Aboard! :evilgrin:

DeannaP
06-28-06, 03:15 PM
Thanks! This will come in handy!

His_angel
06-28-06, 03:50 PM
Welcome to the site, DeannaP.

Camper51
06-28-06, 04:03 PM
I see you are a band director, Deanna. I have a lot of respect for you guys. The band director at my daughters' high school actually taught both my daughters to march, properly, along with playing an instrument at the same time. That is quite a feat (especially for my knotheads, hee hee). Anyway they did go on to win an unprecedented FOUR state championships in a row and one daughter did not know what it was like not to win state, the other had one loss in her second year, winning the other 2 years. You guys do amazing things with kids. I know that any kid who was in marching band knows how to march, not necessarily to a drill instructors cadence, but they do have the posture and technique down.

Great job, and thanks from a proud papa...

DeannaP
06-28-06, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the pat on the back. Boy, did I need that. Believe it or not, sometimes I feel more like a drill instructor than a band director. ha! I'm glad to hear that you are proud of your daughters' band experiences. It makes me proud to know we do make a difference.

quillhill
06-28-06, 05:35 PM
That is a high compliment, coming from a Marine.

Band instructors are, in my experience at least, awesome people. My husband was in band in high school. Haha, here's a story for you, speaking of marching. They were practicing right before he started freshman year on the school track. My husband, who had just had a growth spurt and had suddenly gone from 5 foot 8 to 6-1 over the summer, hadn't adjusted to his height. He tripped and fell flat on his face. For the next four years he got at the music department award banquet, he got the Worst Marcher award. In fact, when he graduated, they named it after him. When his brother got there a few years later, they gave it to him. The award lives on, even though the band director they had has since moved on to a successful career as a composer.
That's right, it's the Jason C. Hill Memorial Worst Marcher Award. Nice, huh?

But, Joe (that's what they called him, not Mr. Phillips), is an amazing guy. A lot of the students looked to him like a dad or big brother. But, he also expected discipline and hard work. I remember, he'd close and lock the band room door when the bell sounded. If you weren't in the band room in time, you got an unexcused absence. And you weren't allowed to make up the time. It's no wonder his bands won awards at festivals and competitions.

So, yeah, band directors are awesome people. I was jealous. My orchestra teacher didn't lead nearly as well as Joe did.

Alright, alright. Enough. I'm sure that all sounds far too familiar. :)

Marine84
06-28-06, 09:31 PM
Welcome Deanna! I see your home state is SC - where? I'm from Union - lil podunk town between Spartanburg and Columbia.

DeannaP
06-29-06, 11:43 AM
I know exactly where Union SC is. I did my student teaching there quite a few years ago. I am from Travelers Rest. It's a small world isn't it?