PDA

View Full Version : Ziploc Omelet

Wyoming
06-27-06, 03:04 PM

Got the below from a friend. We be doing it tonight.

Don't know how many have tried this, but it works!!!......I threw 2 eggs, onions, chives, broccoli, 'taters and feta cheese into the bag...followed instructions....put on the plate and added ketchup ..... ummmmmm ......... excellent .......

(This works great !!! Good for when all your family is together. The best part is that no one has to wait for their special omelet !!!)

Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker.

Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.

Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.

Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece.

http://www.thefogstream.com/SFVV/files/2_119.jpg

http://www.thefogstream.com/SFVV/files/3_108.jpg

http://www.thefogstream.com/SFVV/files/4_498.jpg

marinegreen
06-27-06, 03:08 PM
"GET OUT" Damn AL,I 'll have to give that a go-round.A person never stops learn'en do we !!! SF

thedrifter
06-27-06, 03:09 PM
Now look....I'm hungry...;) :D

Looks Good!

Now the trick to see if it does work....

Ellie

Osotogary
06-27-06, 03:30 PM
Great idea, good looking photos. Question about the "taters". Are they frozen, fresh, precooked?
Would you suggest a fine Reisling or a pitcher of Pabst Blue Ribbon to accompany such fine cuisine?

Wyoming
06-27-06, 03:44 PM
Great idea, good looking photos. Question about the "taters". Are they frozen, fresh, precooked?
Would you suggest a fine Reisling or a pitcher of Pabst Blue Ribbon to accompany such fine cuisine?

Jeez, Gary, you be acting likes me wife, what with all the recipe questions.

I tole her Sunday Brunch with champagne and peaches or for supper with a good white wine.

She said all I was doing was looking for an excuse for a drink. Well, Duh! I tole her it's always 1700 some where's. She didn't buy that sheeit either.

I tell you what, leave the 'taters' out and add another sprig of broccoli. Yikes!

On a side note, I'd really like to hear how this went for you guys.

lovdog
06-27-06, 04:26 PM
Big Al - This is the greatest thing since sliced bread!! Those Grunts don't have anything on a Winger!!! I bet if ya add some shrimp & a dash of cajun salt - !!! I wonder if they could package this in one of those new fangled - "Ready to Eat Meals" that those new Marines eat nowadays - this has all kinds of possibilities!!
I still remember one guy from Alabama that loved "Ham & Motherf*ckers" - he'd have 10 or 12 extra cans that guys would give him instead of chucking them over the hill!!
Have you thought of teaming up with "Rachael Ray"??

ROHO
06-27-06, 04:28 PM
mmm!!!, looks a tad better then an MRE Omelet.

Camper51
06-27-06, 04:48 PM
Great way to have Boy Scouts fix brekkie, too. They love doing it and they don't have a big mess to clean up afterwards. My scouts were teaching me to do this 20 years ago...

jennifer
06-27-06, 08:28 PM
dang THAT looks hella good... ima have to try it and see if it works!! yummy, im hungry now!!

StinkFist
07-07-06, 04:35 AM
printed from this:
http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/mclean/news/news3600.html

Say "NO" to the ZIPLOC OMELET

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 3, 2006

<LINK href="/county/css/InsertPhotos.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet>I thought it was important to respond to a questionably safe Food Fad, the ZIPLOC OMELET. It is the latest NOT recommended fad. Please... DON'T try this at home and we will tell you exactly why. What is circulating around again is instructions on cooking omelets in Ziploc bags. This is not recommended until further research is done on cooking with plastics. There is still question about the cancer causing breakdown of plastics and their contact with food during cooking.

We have contacted the Ziploc company and they replied by telling us that ZIPLOCŪ brand Bags cannot be used to boil food. They also told us that they do not manufacture a "boilable" bag.... yet.

They do not recommend using any ZIPLOCŪ brand Bag in boiling water, or to "boil" in the microwave. ZIPLOCŪ brand Bags are made from polyethylene plastic with a softening point of approximately 195 degrees Fahrenheit. By pouring near boiling water (water begins to boil at 212 degrees) into the bag, or putting the bag into the water, the plastic could begin to melt. Might I add that eggs and cheese have fat which gets much hotter than water thus the likelihood of melting the plastic increases.

It is so easy to start something unhealthy like the idea of a ZIPLOC OMELET. All you have to do is type it up and send it out to everyone you know via e-mail. It spreads like wild fire. The ZIPLOC OMELET instructions start out by telling you "This works great !!!" But who ever started the idea had not contacted the company who manufactures the bag to see if such cooking techniques were recommended. Therefore people receiving the instructions might just assume this idea is safe and it is not.

The specific concern centers on the possible contamination of foods with known carcinogens that may be present in plastic containers and wraps.

This issue is certain to generate much research to clarify the potential risks. Until this issue is fully resolved, consumers who want to take a cautious approach should not use Ziploc type bags for boiling food in water or in the microwave. People should continue making omelets the old traditional way until plastic bag manufacturers come out with an approved safe bag that while heated containing food will produce no carcinogens.

Marine84
07-07-06, 07:28 AM
Big Al - I'm coming to your house for breakfast - be there in a while.

Stinkfest - thanks for the info but, we're Marines - a lot of us have eaten things over the years that aren't good for us and we're still alive and kickin'. I really don't think that plastic baggie is going to throw so much "bad" stuff in the mix to kill any of us.