PDA

View Full Version : Christmas in Nam

thedrifter
12-24-02, 06:15 AM
Santa Claus in a helicoptor . . .

One incident I would like to share occurred at Christmas, December 1969.

I did not get to go to the Bob Hope show, so I had to do guard duty on the hill. As I sat there, I heard a helicopter coming from around the side of this big hill. Next to us was where, I believe, the Seabees were stationed. The chopper was bright red, it really startled me! I thought the gooks finally had their own air force.

As the chopper got near, I could see Santa Claus hanging out the side, and as he flew down the line he threw candy out to all of us on duty.

I'll tell you it was quite a sight to see grown men--okay, boys--jumping up and down the line and waving at Santa.

I heard it was an Army unit who did this. I don't know who deserves the credit, but it really made our holiday.

Don Cooper L/cpl 1st Mar Div., Service Co.
March 1969 to Feb. 1970

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Santa didn't make it to the orphanage . .

Sometime before Christmas, I carried Santa Clause to Hoi An City. He was to visit a big orphanage in Hoi An City, and my aircraft was almost completely filled with donated presents. So many presents were on board that the whole crew, plus Santa and his helpers, were crammed into a small space near the cockpit of my CH-46. So crowded, that my gunners couldn't get at their guns. As we approached the LZ we were going to use to off load, we started taking fire from a tree line--and we couldn't fire back!!! We were forced out of the zone and had to return to Marble Mountain with Santa and the gifts. I don't know if Santa ever got back down there.

http://www.tlxnet.net/~boswell/christmas.html

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
12-24-02, 06:45 AM
You should have shot the dude.

You would have gotten credit for a confirmed kill, taken all his goods as the spoils of war and traded them for other nifty stuff.

That dude's been know to be packing...

SANTA CLAUS IS WIELDING A GUN
(to the tune of "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town")

Oh, you better watch out
You better not pry
You better stay back
I'm telling you why
Santa Claus is wielding a gun

He's making a list
And checking it twice
Gonna find out who
He's gonna ice

Don't give him any trouble
He'll blow you right away
Don't give him any cause to shoot
Or you'll make his Christmas Day

Oh, you better believe
He's packing a rod
No coal in your stocking
Just lead in your bod

He doesn't want cookies
Or none of that crud
He doesn't want milk
What he wants is your blood

(Music Bridge, with automatic arms fire)

He doesn't trust nobody
Shot all his reindeer dead
Thought Dancer was a sissy
And thought Rudoulph was a red

Oh, you better watch out
You better not pry
You better stay back
I'm telling you why