PDA

View Full Version : It wont come off...

XheroX
06-26-06, 08:36 PM
:!:
I apologize if something like this has been previously posted, but I really need to find a solution to my problem. I ship for MCRD San Diego on Aug. 14, as of right now I am 5'4" weighing in at 167lbs., which is over the required ship weight for my height. The problem isn't my lack of discipline for PT or a required diet, but more the fact that I can't seem to lose the weight. I have myself on a restricted calorie diet, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I do a personal PT session consisting of Pull-Ups, Crunches, Pushups, Boot Beaters, Hello Dollies, and a 1.5 Mile run. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I go to my recruiting station and run PT with my fellow recruits and my recruiting officer. As of right now I am meeting all of my IST and PFT qaulifications with no struggle, but I am starting to worry that I may not be able to ship in August with the way things are looking. I would greatly appreciate any advice that can be given.
:!:

Lithium
06-26-06, 09:04 PM
The weight limit is not strict. The Marine Corps will check your Body Fat count, or whatever it is called. If you have a low one, you should be fine. If you are not struggling with your IST I think you should be fine. I am not an expert though, just what I think.

Marine84
06-26-06, 09:12 PM
Yeah, talk to your recruiter - if your body fat count is OK then you might could get a weight waiver

The Sandman
06-26-06, 11:06 PM
youve hit a plateau. happens to us all. just redouble your efforts and keep doing what youre doing. it will start again. make sure youre getting enough sleep. also dont forget that not getting enough calories will send your body into a "starvation mode" where it tries to hold onto fat. so just crunch the numbers and make sure thats not a problem either. where is Accord? he'll probably give you more math on that than i can.

kovanfleet
06-26-06, 11:46 PM
do more excersises that get your heart rate up like swimming and bikeing. try adding more distance to your run and more intensity to get the heart rate up. haveing you doing those thing really get your metabolism working. it also depends on what kinds of calories you are takeing in. you dont want empty calories that are found in sugar and caffine. If you are drinking soda at all stop, drink around 2 quarts of water a day.

i also recomend checking out this site http://stewsmith.com/ and look at his fitness articles. stew smith is personal trainer and a former Navy SEAL officer and has written tons of article for military fitness. the articles on weight lose and deiting will help you understand what you need to do to get those pounds off.

XheroX
06-27-06, 01:02 AM
Thankyou for all the advice, I'm currently taking in around 1700 to 1800 calories a day. I used the formula off of Oo-Rah.com to figuire my calorie intake. Today I bumped my 1.5 mile run up to 2 miles. Thanks for the link Kovanfleet, lot's of good information. I'll also make sure to talk to my recruiter tomorrow at PT.

Erthwerm
06-27-06, 02:17 AM
I would do more cardio work (instead of running really fast for only 2 miles, run at a moderate pace for 5 or 6.) You can't burn fat effectively unless you run or exercise your heart for more than 20 minutes. Even a nice little jog for 5 miles will be good. Swim a lot as well. It sounds like your primary focus is strength when (at least in my experience losing weight) the most important facet of weight/fat loss is endurance. Still do the strength training, but kick up the cardio. IMO you still have a lot of time to lose that weight, just lose it slowly.

You've got it man! Don't let a few pounds stand in the way of your dream!

Hope this helps,

Erth

Sixguns
06-27-06, 07:10 AM
It is possible to get a weight waiver. Normally the Corps will let you ship if you are 5% or 10% over your max weight. This requires you to have a strong IST score and possitive attitude. Understand that if you get a weight waiver, you may be going directly to PCP and not going into a training platoon.

Keep up the cardio workouts. Do not focus on weight lifting or building muscle. Be sure you are drinking plenty of water (a gallon a day).

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-27-06, 11:31 AM
I saw where someone posted Stew Smith's web address. That is great information for anyone entering the military. The company that published his books also has a site (www.getfitnow.com) that could be of some use. Most of the information is in the SEAL threads, but there is some in other places as well.

Regardless, you can't drop your caloric intake too much or you will stop losing weight. So, that means you have to burn more to bust through the plateau that you've hit. Run, bike, swim and then do it again. 2 miles simply isn't enough for you right now. You have to be careful when adding milage, but you should increase by about 10 percent every other run or so. Also, drink at least one gallon of water a day.

David Jameson
06-27-06, 01:43 PM
Try some sit-ups and the old bend and mothers,Lots of them.I'll bet you
feel the problem going away.Anything that hurts ,works.Don"t worry,you'll
be fine.

Marine84
06-27-06, 03:44 PM
yeah..................a lot of what you'll hear in the Corps is "NO PAIN NO GAIN"

Barret
06-27-06, 04:50 PM
Don't know if It has been said yet, but you're probably losing fat, and gaining muscle.

XheroX
06-27-06, 08:07 PM
At PT today my recruiting officer took my body fat percentage, after I told him my worries. I have 13% Body fat, which he said was good enough to get a waiver. My IST scores as of right now are

Pull Ups-11

Crunches-86

Run-9:57

So hopefully the waiver will be able to work, the only reason I worry is because there is nothing more in this world I want more than to be a United States Marine. Thankyou Marines, friends, and fellow Poolees for all the advice and support, you can be assured I won't let you down.

Lithium
06-27-06, 09:05 PM
Wow, keep up the good work. With a 13% Body Fat and an IST like that, you will not have any problems getting in. You are well over the minimum IST so you should have no worries at all.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-27-06, 10:39 PM
Wannabe that posted this(Not to be rude, but I refuse to call anyone a hero that hasn't proven it.), you sound like you're in a good position. But, while you are on active duty, try to keep an eye on your body fat percentage. If you allow it to creep up, you could find yourself on weight control pretty quickly. Good job on the IST numbers, keep working at it and you will be in great shape at recruit training.

jennifer
06-28-06, 12:10 AM
Agree and it that's what happening then you'll be okay because you won't have as much body fat. Good Luck and you'll be good devil pup!!
Don't know if It has been said yet, but you're probably losing fat, and gaining muscle.

quillhill
06-28-06, 01:52 PM
And won't some of that weight come off at boot camp anyway? I'm being serious, won't another 10 or 15 pounds come off this Poolee during recruit training? Just a thought.

Otherwise, all the advice you've gotten seems sound. I won't be redundant other than keep up the hard work as your ship date approaches.

XheroX
06-28-06, 02:06 PM
Echo Four Bravo, I apologize if the name is offending it's kind of a joke/nickname from my recuiter. He always greets me with a "How's it goin hero?" If it is a problem I can change it no questions asked. Thanks for all the support. I have a small question if you all can answer.....Is the Crucible really the hardest part of Boot Camp?

Again thankyou everyone for all of the help and support.

kovanfleet
06-28-06, 03:02 PM
i herd from the marines that just graduated that they made it alot easier recently becuase of all the recruites getting injured right before grad. they said to me when they got back that "the crucible is a joke!"

SemperFin
06-28-06, 03:13 PM
...the same boat as you are when I went to boot several years ago. When I finally got to my platoon they designated me and a few other guys as "weight watchers". They put special stripes on my PT shirt which meant that I was always "encouraged" to work a little harder during PT. At chow time I never had any desert or sweets of any kind and drank 2% milk at every meal. By the time they were done with me I was 21 lbs. below the max weight for my height/build. My advice would be to work hard for now and take it as it comes. They will take care of you and your "weight problem" once you get to boot as long as you stay dedicated.

Semper Fi

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-28-06, 04:30 PM
The name does not offend me at all, there is no need for you to change it. I simply chose not to call you by that name, and I mean no offense by that.

I didn't go through the cruicible, I was on active duty when they invented it. However, I know many people that did do it. I don't know that I would say it is the most difficult part of boot camp, it is just something else to do. General Krulak wanted a "defining moment" and he made one. Other than the little "tests" not much was really new. The marches and the like were already a part of boot camp, now it is just done in a different order. I guess what I am trying to say is that you shouldn't fear the cruicible. It is just another obstacle in your path. By that point in boot camp, you shouldn't have too hard of a time with it.

As for him losing weight at boot camp, I am sure he will. I would assume we're talking about the maximum weight he is allowed to be to ship to boot camp, not to serve as a Marine.

XheroX
06-28-06, 05:54 PM
Yes sir, I was talking about my mandatory ship weight. SemperFin so how was that "encouragment" during PT?=) Echo Four Bravo, are you a recuiter from Stillwater? I am out of RSS Tulsa East, I was just wondering, because if I remember correctly I think there is supposed to be a big field meet coming up here in July.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-28-06, 11:49 PM
Not a recruiter, I got out a few years ago. Of course, as many people as I send to the recruiter's office I think I should be getting paid by them.

SemperFin
06-29-06, 10:02 AM
Not only did I get "encouragement" during PT, but I was the Platoon "knowledge Private". At the time I had the highest ASVAB score in the platoon (including the DI's) so they "chose" me to be the one who had all the answers. Any time anyone didn't know the answer to a question, the DI turned to me for the answer. If I got it wrong I would spend the next 10 or 15 minutes up on the Quarterdeck. I only got 1 question wrong the entire time:) . Do your best, study your knowledge and stay dedicated.

Camper51
06-29-06, 10:50 AM
Not only was I a skinny little sh*t when I went into Boot Camp, I GAINED 30 lbs along the way. This was accomplished in the normal course of Boot Camp. I did no special PT, was not on extra rations, etc... it just happened. Of course I lost it all within 3 months of leaving Boot Camp (thank God I did not have to alter all my uniforms again, sheeeesh!!).

You will do incredible amounts of PT each and every day you are in training and your body will accomodate this by either losing or gaining weight as needed in order to let you perform the tasks given you. If you think you are in shape now, you will find out just how right or wrong you were after a week of training. Good luck, you will do just fine with a bit of motivation... like getting the Eagle Globe and Anchor and earning the title...