PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Marine memorialized in novel

thedrifter
06-26-06, 01:20 PM
Fallen Marine memorialized in novel
By KATHY THOMPSON
Zanesville Times Recorder
ADVERTISEMENT

DRESDEN - Marine Sgt. Bradley J. Harper, 25, may have died with 13 of his fellow Marines in Iraq on Aug. 3, 2005 but he will live on forever as a hero in a new novel.

Harper is depicted as a character in Brad Thor's newest thriller "Takedown."

How Harper got to be in Thor's book is a tale of compassion, loyalty and pure love.

Harper, originally from Dresden and the son of Steve and Janet Mozena Harper, was a police officer with the Virginia Beach Police Department before he left for Iraq with his reservist group, Co. A, 4th Assault Amphibian Bn Norfolk, Virginia.

Police Chief Jake Jacocks Jr. and about nine of his fellow officers were attending a fundraiser last September for the Naval Special Warfare Foundation in Virginia Beach.

One of the items featured on the silent auction was a chance to bid on a character to be featured in Thor's upcoming novel.

Jacocks said it took only seconds for the group to collect $500 to put a bid in with the intention of having the character be named in Harper's honor.

But disappointment came about an hour later when Jacocks checked the bid sheet and discovered J.J. Marie had put a bid in for $1,000.

Marie is president and chief executive officer for Zodiac of North America Inc., a subsidiary of Zodiac S.A., the world's largest manufacturer or rigid-hull inflatable boats, life rafts and marine safety equipment. The company deals with the U.S. Navy, Marine Corp. and Marie is also on the board of directors for the Naval Special Warfare Foundation that assists families of fallen Seals.

"We were pretty disappointed," Jacocks said. "But, I decided that I'd talk to this Mr. Marie and see if we couldn't strike some kind of deal."

Marie listened as Jacocks told him the intentions of the officers and was so impressed with their respect for Harper that he decided to go ahead and give up his right to name the character and let it be named in Harper's honor.

But the night took a turn for the worst when the characters name went on the open auction block.

"I sat and watched the officers as bids started coming pretty fast," Marie said. "They just didn't have the money to outbid the other people there. The looks on the officers faces was pure disappointment. I knew I had to do something, so I kept outbidding everyone until I got it. "

To the tune of $5,500, Marie won the bid and kept his promise to Jacocks and the officers.

"We were stunned that this total stranger would step up to the plate like that and be so generous," Jacocks said. "It's just not something that happens everyday, someone jumping into a situation and spending that kind of money for a complete stranger. It pretty much left us speechless."

Marie, who was also at the dinner that night to accept the Neil Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award, said his involvement with the military and the honor of being chosen for such a prestigious award helped put him "in the mood" to honor someone like Harper "who made the ultimate sacrifice."

"My hat is off to all the men and women who serve their country and unfortunately, some end up paying the ultimate price," Marie said.

It was Thor's turn to turn Jacocks and his fellow officers dream into a reality.

Thor, who is a former member of the Department of Homeland Security's Analytic Red Cell Program, is a national bestseller of military thrillers and spends time between his hometown of Chicago and the Greek island of Antiparos with his physician wife and their two children.

While not in the military service himself, Thor said he has tremendous respect for military and law enforcement personnel that he gained from his Marine father.

"I believe that you should write about what you are passionate about," Thor said. "I guess I'm passionate about the military and the sacrifices these men and women have to make."

Thor said he was touched by the Harper family's bravery as their son put himself on the front lines and ended up paying with his life.

"Brad's is such a special story," Thor explained as how he was able to get an impression of Harper by researching his story and background. "I just wanted to make sure I honored him by making the character in the book as real as possible."

Thor was able to meet the Harper family last weekend in Virginia Beach at a book signing, the largest Thor said he has ever had. Proceeds from the book signing were sent to the Bradley J. Harper Scholarship Fund for Law Enforcement Students.

"It was wonderful to meet them and Brad's widow, Kendra," Thor said. "They are such a strong family, as those who are left behind have to be. I just wanted to do something for them that would allow Brad to live forever."

In Thor's book, Harper is depicted as a Marine who is almost identical to the real man.

"I just wanted Brad in the book to be as close to Brad in real life as he could be," Thor explained. "I thought of my character as being brave, fearless, loyal and a true Marine."

While the Harper family has a signed copy of the book, Steve Harper has not yet completed it.

"But, I really enjoy what I've read so far," Steve said as he stroked "Jake," the dog that Brad gave to him for Christmas just before he left for Iraq. "I think what all these men have done to honor our son is wonderful. We are just so grateful that people out there want to honor him in such a way."

While Harper may not have made it back from Iraq, Thor makes sure he survives in the book.

"For Brad to survive in the book is my way of representing the triumph and survival of Brad's ideals and what he represented as a Marine and an American," Thor said.

The book is currently on sale at Waldenbooks at the Colony Square Mall.