PDA

View Full Version : Semper Fi 'Splendid Splinter'...

TeufelHunden
07-05-02, 12:05 PM
......Ted Williams, the Boston Red Sox revered and sometimes reviled "Splendid Splinter" and baseball's last .400 hitter, has died at age 83.

Marine pilot - served (1943–45) in World War II and again (1952–53) in the Korean War; Baseball Hall of Famer; lifetime batting average of .344 and hit a total of 521 home runs.

Williams, who suffered a series of strokes and congestive heart failure in recent years, was taken Friday to Citrus County Memorial Hospital "where he was pronounced deceased," said sheriff's department spokesman Lt. Joe Eckstein.

thedrifter
07-05-02, 01:06 PM
AND WHEN HE GOES TO HEAVEN.......

TO ST. PETER HE WILL TELL, ........

ONE MORE SOLIDER REPORTING SIR....

I SERVED MY TIME IN HELL......

A Great WW2 and Korean Veteran and Baseball Player.....

Semper Fi,

Roger

Sixguns
07-05-02, 02:21 PM
You will be missed.

Although I grew up a Yankee fan, you cannot overlook this man's achievement in the sport of Baseball. Regardless of the baseball uniform he wore, he was a Marine and that was the most important uniform he ever wore.

Semper Fidelis, Ted Williams.

Sixguns

Shaffer
07-05-02, 07:31 PM
If you have ever seen the movie, you will remember the scene where a Corsair crash lands and the pilot jumps out and runs for his life. Seconds later the plane explodes. That scene was based on an actual event that happened to Ted Williams.

Semper Fi Ted!

Jerry

SgtMac
07-06-02, 01:46 PM
Ted Williams was one of the few 'big name celebrities' who didn't hide in Special Services during his two tours of active duty. He put his butt in harm's way. One can only wonder what more he might have accomplished in his Major League career with those missing seasons.
I, for one, extend a very respectful 'hand salute' to a Man, Marine and Ballplayer whom I greatly respect. :(

mikemac64
07-06-02, 08:37 PM
Here in Boston, where Ted Williams reigned for all those years, the nightly newscasts last night devoted neatly 15 minutes a each to Ted.

One of his quotes they showed was him saying what he was most proud of. It was not his hitting over .400, not his 521 home runs, not his .340 life time average. It was his being a Marine.

Semper Fi and farewell to a great and patriotic American, and Marine.

PS: Now that we are at war, when is Nomar going in the Marines?????