PDA

View Full Version : Just askin

Stickman_680
12-23-02, 10:11 PM
Wondering if anyone out there has an idea what a field wireman does because i sure as heck would like to know what im doing for the next four years or so, because at MCT they didn't give us a very in depth study of any particular field so i was still not sure what type of duty i will be doing besides setting up wire for the LP/OP posts. Any info would help

Thanks,

PFC McDonnell

firstsgtmike
12-24-02, 05:11 AM
Youngster,

Let me tell you a story.

I was a radio op, radio chief, comm chief before you were born. That's not to put you down, that's to identify where my "experience" is coming from. = Obslolete and outdated.

In the field a wireman ran lines from one telephone to another, and operated the field telephone swithboard.

Lily Tomlin and her telephone routine comes to mind.

Someone more up to date than I am can fill you in.

However: I was radio chief 1/8 at Lejeune. Line companies in the field always had one of my radio ops. I found a new voice on the other end of my radio. The explanation from my operator was that it was one of the grunts who volunteered to carry the radio.

Months later, the "grunt" came and requested a transfer to work for me. Strings were pulled,and I had a new crackerjack radio operator.

However, after our work was done in garrison, he would disappear. Some months later, I received a request to transfer him from the Message Center Chief. My man had been spending much time there when I didn't have enough to keep him busy.

No problem.

Some years later, I received a Christmas card/ Thank You note from him. He had left the Corps and went to work for IBM as a computer tech.

Cream always rises to the top. It's a law of physics.

Before my time in the Corps, as a Marine, as a Recruiter, as a human being, my philosophy has always been, "Take every opportunity to excel. Excellence ALWAYS finds its own reward.

I know I'm off the subject, humor me, and wait for someone else, more up-to-date to answer your specific question.

But never forget, my answer.

Semper Fi

Art Petersn
12-24-02, 06:02 AM

I was a wire man in the 3/3/3 station at Middle Camp Fuji, Japan. In thoes days you carried all your wire on your back plus you back pack.
Better hope you never have to carry that pack up the nets of a APA. Going down is easy, going up seems to take forever. It's a good field. Wish I was young enough to do it again. No matter what your MOS is, enjoy your tour, these are years that you will talk about for the rest of your life. You are going to meet people that you will remember for the rest of your life. Take plenty of pictures and make sure you keep a diary for names and addresses. I sure wish I would have keep a list of some of the greatest people I ever meant. Any old timer will tell you that he wished he would have kept better track of the friends that he or she had made in the Corp. You have become a member of a very special club, make the best of it.

Dam I wish I had been this smart when it counted most.

thedrifter
12-24-02, 06:10 PM
Stickman, I was a Telephone/Teletype Technician, I did work with the Field Wiremen when I was with the 1stMarDiv.........I can remember running com wire and climbing poles.......climbing was fun until I gaffed out........LOL
You will be running lines(wires) between switchboards and field telephones and operating switchboards, that depends on what units you are with. In some areas you will probably have to climb telephone poles to run wiring.
Good luck, but always remember to give it your all, doing your job right might someday save your Brothers...........
Any questions, feel free to ask.........You can and will get good advice and info on this site.........

Sempers,

Roger

mrbsox
12-24-02, 06:30 PM
Field wireman.... a grunts input

All these sound possible. But my 2cents..

Late 70's, in an 81mm Mortor Plt, we had a comm attachment with us, that kept the guns on line with the FDC (Fire Direction Center). Voice powered head sets, required no electricity, but parallel loop of wire, so that all 8 guns and FDC could be together. They did/went what/where we did.

Terry

leroy8541
12-24-02, 08:35 PM
my high school buddy and I joined the corp together he became a wireman he used to tell me stories about it. We used to get a paycheck on payday I think everything has probably gone check to bank nowdays but anyways they used to put thier checks on top of the pole and make them climb up and get it. and you should hear how fond he is of our compadres in the tanks. Tank tracks and field radio wire do not mesh well. I was in a recon bn myself and when things would get a little boring we would slip out cut the wires up and blame it on the tankers whatgood entertainment on an otherwise boring saturday night. Those wiremen were pretty scrappy another trick to watch out for. we used to watch them at night while they were setting up Lp comm. when he started stripping wire we would pach in a field phone to his line some of them liked to use thier teeth instead of pliers that field phone will knock your skivvies off!!

Stickman_680
12-26-02, 09:24 PM
LoL that was some funny stuff Leroy8541 but i dont think i will be tryin to bite through wire like that though :), anyways thanks to all you guys for the info i really appreciate it and ill make you guys proud when i get out into the fleet(in about a month and 2 weeks). Again thanks for everything and ill be sure to keep in touch about stuff going on.

Thanks,

Pfc McDonnell