PDA

View Full Version : Why is everybody here interested in the USMC?

Erthwerm
06-25-06, 04:41 AM
So I've been looking at this forum for about a year and recently joined the forum. I've been looking into joining the Marine Corps for a couple of years, but I wanted some more time to really think about it and get some physical training in (I have to make sure I'm as physically and mentally ready before I sign those papers and eventually ship.) Anyway, why is everybody here (well, the Poolees and my fellow wannabes) looking into the Marine Corps? What are some of the MOS's you guys/gals thinking about getting? What do you want to do after your tenure with the USMC?

Personally I'm looking into combat arms (possibly infantry) as an MOS and I'm interested in becoming a police officer eventually. Anyway, please post what sparked your interest and what careers you're interested in.

Also, how's everybody's PT coming along? Anybody doing ruck marches at all?

sorry for being so annoying,

Erthwerm

His_angel
06-25-06, 04:44 AM
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand. I could explain till I'm blue in the face and it probably wouldn't make a lick of sense to ya.

Erthwerm
06-25-06, 04:49 AM
His Angel,

Thanks for the information. I guess a better way to ask my question is: what sparked your curiosity or interest in the Marine Corps? When did you first think about joining and what was your first inspiration?

I hope this is a more intelligent way of asking,

Erthwerm

17wannabe75
06-25-06, 05:28 AM
My dad was a Marine, grew up around the Semper FI! gung ho attitude, and I want the same to be part of the brotherhood. To me its not joining something, and and be part of something good for 4 years, its joining something and being part of a family for the rest of my life.

My mos is comabt support, Tanks, Tracs, and Artillery

marinedropout
06-25-06, 09:28 AM
You can say I joined during my teenage years without the slightest clue of what I was doing. It was a whole bunch of reasons from girl problems, depression, school etc.. to becoming a man. I was just a confused teen and really didn't have a clue about anything in life. Like some, I joined for all the wrong reasons. I wasn't mentally prepared nor did I expect myself to be medically unhealthy.

But I'll tell you this much. If you want to join the Marines, you have to have the will to want to be a Marine. The Marines are strictly the best of the best, strictly the few the proud. After you sign those papers there is no turning back. The person you become afterwards will have to be a huge transformation, for the better.

And remember in Boot Camp, you are there to PT. So don't be afraid or try to escape being pitted and yelled at by Drill Instructors. That is what you're going there for. To be a Marine. And this is how they make Marines. PT, Drill, honor, integrity. It's all in the package. Don't try to escape it like I did. Accept it, accept the corp, the value, the harsh and intense exercise and there will be no problems. I hope I have answered your question on my behalf. Take care and good luck.

Lithium
06-25-06, 01:35 PM
Too say I was a part of something....

http://www.mnforsustain.org/images/WTC%202nd%20Plane.jpg

And to get some revenge.

Marine84
06-25-06, 02:17 PM
I was looking for a few good men myself - NO, JUST JOKING! I almost went AF til some Marine Recruiter grabbed me coming out of the AF office - he told me that I didn't want to talk to the AF recruiter, I wanted to talk to him - he convinced me. And it helped to know that, not only was Marine Corps bootcamp the hardest one of the branches to make it through, if I wanted to go AF later I wouldn't have to go through their bootcamp.

Thank God I stayed a Marine cause I know a lot of prior AF guys and they don't "keep in touch" with it alllllllll!! Plus, I'm a woman too - you don't know how it affects our egos knowing that we've gone through something a lot of men in this world wouldn't even THINK of trying.

Sixguns
06-25-06, 02:40 PM
Laughing at Marine84!!!!

I had four years of AFJROTC in high school. The image and reputation of the Marines made it very appealing. I also thought that if I was going to be part of a military branch, it might as well be with the one viewed as best.

In fact, the Marine recruiter was the only one who didn't sugar-coat things or try to get me to "buy in" to being a Marine. He told it like it was. That it would be hard and that not everyone can be a Marine. I knew there were more rewards for taking the road less traveled!!!!

Stanley Hroszow
06-25-06, 02:45 PM
I joined the marines, because I did not want to go in any other branch of the service, I hated their uniforms, I would look at them and wanted to puke, I went to the movies when I was 17 or 18, and saw a Marine with his Lady Friend, he was Dressed in his Dress Blues with the Red Stripe and thought that was the coolest uniform, and wanted one. To get one meant to join, also a second cousin of my Mother, was a Gunnery Sargent and a Congressional Medal Of Honor Winner in WW11, that clinched for me, because I wanted to be just like him.

marinedropout
06-26-06, 11:28 AM
I went to the movies when I was 17 or 18, and saw a Marine with his Lady Friend, he was Dressed in his Dress Blues with the Red Stripe and thought that was the coolest uniform, and wanted one.

What exactly was this movie? I'm just trying to find all the Marines Corp. Movies available out there. Thanks.

Camper51
06-26-06, 11:54 AM
I had tried to join the Navy, but they said "No, get a diploma" This high school dropout walked next door and the Marine recruiter couldn't get me signed up fast enough. Was it a mistake, NO WAY, it was the best thing I ever did in my life and I will never regret one minute of the 8 years, 3 months and 21 days I spent in the Corps...

jryanjack
06-26-06, 12:16 PM
I was looking for a few good men myself -

You know, I actually met a WM that used that line when we asked her why she had joined - I don't think that she was joking!

You know one thing that I have noticed recently - around where I live there are a lot of Marines - 1st CivDiv HQ must be around here somewhere! You can tell because they have USMC flags in their yards, bumper stickers, USMC front plates, etc. But you rearely ever see any of the other services announce their service. That's what interested me in the Marines - you are not a Marine for 4, 6, 8, whatever number of years - you're a Marine for life.

Barret
06-26-06, 02:46 PM
For me, It's to be a part of the biggest, Toughest, Most Honorable Brotherhood Ever. The Marines hold themselves to a higher code of honor than most, and take care of their own. There is no better friend, and no worse enemy than a Marine. I just want to be a part of that.

Covey_Rider
06-26-06, 03:20 PM
To me, anything else would have meant settling for less. When I was younger I had that dream to become a SEAL hahaha...but for the longest time I knew I wanted to be a Marine. I never got that presentation thing from the recruiter...I just walked in and had them start the process. They know that I wanted to be Marine before I ever stepped foot in that office and therefore saved themselves the time it takes for the sales pitch...

Static_Sky25
06-26-06, 04:08 PM
I enlisted cause (yes as pathetic as this sounds) I liked to camp, hunt and shoot... and they'd pay me to do all 3 and because my family is an army family and me and dad don't get along so I decided to be better than him by being the best...

and the uniform... that goes without saying....

and I enlisted as Infantry, cause that's the guys that get to camp, hike, shoot, ect the most

Didn't make it though, I washed out on a knee prob

Tallboot
06-26-06, 04:09 PM
You can tell the sells pitch lol, my first recruiter was like "Well Matthew ill tell you what im going to do for you ...."

I have a few Marines friends before i even considered it, but Recruiters jobs are tough, and its probably one of the hardest to do, put yourself in there shoes whew.

Anyway to be honest i know what i want to do with my life, I want to Be what i am. When you take a look at the Marine, you can tell that somthing is different about them. When you see Uniform you can see what it represent not neccessary how it looks. With that note, i have been asked what i want to do after highschool about 10,000 times, the look never gets old when i say Marine Corps. Almost 100% of the time after that they start somthing like "yea i had a Friend that was ..." .. i should just say no you didnt. -- Matt

Smalcom
06-26-06, 04:32 PM
For me, It was to be in the most Honorable, Proud, Toughest Brotherhood the world Have ever seen. The Marines hold themselves to a higher code of Honor than anyone of this planet, and I want that.

Barret said it perfect

MOS im looking into are 0300 and AAV Crewman... eventually try 0321

PT is GREAT 17 minute 5k, 44 pullups, 120 crunches

Tallboot
06-26-06, 04:46 PM
You need to help me on my pullups.

Smalcom
06-26-06, 04:49 PM
add my AIM and id be happy to

AmyG
06-26-06, 05:03 PM
My absolute very first impression was that Marines were nasty and a bunch of undeserving glory hogs.

And then I went to 8th and I... I watched the President's Own and the Drum and Bugle Corps play some gorgeous music, and then I watched the Silent Drill Platoon put on one awesome display, and then I listened to a Marine play Taps...extremely moving...and then I shool several Marines' hands. That day the Marines moved up a notch in my mind. But I still didn't like them.

And then I met my two closest friends in the world, and all they could do was talk about Marines (at least, whenever we weren't talking about our future ranch). Honestly, I got sick of it. My dad was retired Army, so of course, no one and nothing was better than the Army. But I got so sick of hearing them talk that I went online and looked the Marines up.

By the end of the week, I loved the Marines. I read everything I could get my hands on, via internet and the library. However, I did not think of joining them, although I did agree they were the best. But me, I was applying to the Air Force Academy. I wanted to be a fighter pilot and then go on to be an astronaut. Well, then I found out that even with surgery, the AF wouldn't let me fly as pilot, I could only maybe hope to be the second guy in the plane. So I said forget it. If I can't fly, I don't want to do it. But the desire to be in the military and serve my country was still there, so, to make a long story short, I leave for Recruit Training on July 24.

Why the Marines and not anything else? They're sharp, committed, tough, proud, and first. They are a Brotherhood unlike any other. With them it's do or die. They have honor and courage. They never quit. And for every Army, Navy, Air Force, or Coast Guard sticker I see, I see about 30 Marine Corps stickers.

I signed for 5800, the MP field.

As for PT, I'm working on it. I have a 60 sec arm hang, 90 crunches, and 12:20 run. By the 24, I want the hang and crunches to be more than perfect, and the run to be down to 11:00.

CPL LIAM KELLEY
06-26-06, 05:49 PM
"NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY "We are a family,We are a band of brothers.If you become part of the family,one of the brothers you will understand.There is nothing I like more than my yearly reunion with my brothers 6THMARINES TOWS 88-94.

His_angel
06-26-06, 06:29 PM
Okay. I'm not feeling as smartypants today.

I was 19 in college and hated it. I only went to college because everyone else thought I should, wanted or expected me to it. It was my Mother's dying wish.

In college I met my first Marines. I wanted what they had. The look of confidence in their eyes. The sure way about them when they walked. The self assurance, brotherhood, and pride. I knew I didn't want to spend another year in college. But I did want to finish the year I was in the middle of at the time.

I went to visit the recruiter. {Visited all the ones in the plaza that day since they were all lumped together.} The recruiter didn't seem too thrilled. I hadn't taken the ASVAB in high school. So I had to take that and pass it. Pass it I did!! Plus I had meet some minimum pft stuff. Struggled with it but pass it I finally did. Had some medical stuff in my history {operations} so had to go to MEPS twice to clear all that up. Recruiter was leery that I had "NEVER" smoked or even tried pot or any other drug. Was adament that I should admit to it and sign a waiver. I wasn't admitting to anything I hadn't done.

It wasn't really until my step-mother showed up at his office one day that he was seemingly more interested in actually getting me too boot camp. Guess he didn't take too kindly to threats of being ran over with her car. Because as determined as I was to join the Marine Corps she was just as determined that I would not join.

It was at that point that my recruiter would meet with me 2 or 3 times a week for pt. It was then that he really talked with me about service, duty, honor and Country. I don't remember any poolee meetings or anything like that. I had something smouldering inside me before. The Marines I had met in college gave wake to a little flame inside me. It was my recruiter who fanned that flame and gave me a better idea about what my decision would mean. Boot camp added kindling and wood.

It's something inside. There are lots of people who might be "interested" yet never visit a recruiter. Plenty of people who visit the recruiter but never make it to MEPS muchless boot. And sadly those that do make it to boot but don't quite earn that Eagle, Globe and Anchor. Because when it comes right down to it, it takes more than "just an interest."

Anyone with luck can win the lottery. Most anyone can propose, get married and have a number of anniversaries. The majority of the population can be a part of procreation and have a baby. Many go to college and graduate each year. But not just anyone can be a United States Marine. Not just anyone can proudly wear that Eagle, Globe and Anchor. Marines are not known as "The Few. The Proud." for no reason. And Women Marines are "The Fewer. The Prouder."

No matter where I go or what I do, I'll always be a Marine. It doesn't matter if it's a Private just out of boot or a retired Full Bird Colonel. If they're a Marine then we have something in common. Something those who have never been there can't understand.

Either way Erthwerm, either you'll have that *something* inside you or you won't. But you won't know if you don't try. And if you don't try you may spend your life wondering. But it's not college where if you don't like it you can just leave after a year. It's not like most other jobs where if you don't like it you can look for another job. It's a way of life. It's a commitment. And it's an experience that will last a lifetime if you do 4 years or 30 years.

Angel

Marine84
06-26-06, 09:04 PM
To show you a "for instance" on the brotherhood thing - we ain't just lying.

I left to go to Iwakuni on the day the space shuttle blew up in 86. My stupid self started drinking then and I didn't quit until I sat down on the plane at midnight that night. By the time we got to Alaska I was so dehydrated they had to wheel me off the plane and throw me in the hospital at Elmendorf (sp) AFB. After 24 hours of having fluid run through my veins to hydrate me, nobody knew what to do with a WM - there weren't any there. The next plane to Japan wasn't coming through until a few days later. Somebody knew of a Marine Reserve Unit that just happened to be accross the yard from the hospital (wish I could remember the Unit#). There were MAYBE 10 AD Marines that were there all the time.

I didn't have anything but the uniform on my back - didn't even have my cover - it was still on the plane that was 1/2 way to Iwakuni - no purse, no money, no toothbrush even. The hospital let me sign in and out during the day and for the next few days until that next bird headed to Japan came through, those 10 (or so) Marines took care of me - fed me, gave me money, one Gunnys' wife even cooked dinner for all of us one night, they let me hang out with them and my last night there 2 of them stayed with me in the airport until I got on that plane to Japan.

THAT convinced me that I had done the right thing - those Marines didn't know me from Adam's house cat but they helped me because I am a Marine.

Erthwerm
06-27-06, 02:07 AM
Thanks everybody for the replies! Please keep them coming. Smalcom, that is an amazing feat with your PT. You've got that 300 all right. I might IM you to find out what your routine is for the pullups. I can only do 13 myself, but I'll add 1 a week for the next few weeks and see how that goes. I'm at 19 minutes for the 3 mile run and 89 for the sit ups (not great, I know but it'll be a 300 before I sign,) but I'm really lacking upper body strength. It's getting better, though. Anyway, I reall have learned quite a bit reading these replies. All my life, I've strived to be the best at anything I do. I've been thinking about enterring the Armed Forces and the United States Marine Corps is the best fighting force in the world and if I join anything, I want it to have the hardest Recruit Training program and the most prestigious stigma, hence the Marine Corps popped in my head. I've talked over with my parents and my mother is all for it, but my dad isn't. However, I'm 22 and regardless of what I do, he'll come around, as long as somebody supports me.

Thanks everybody!

Stanley Hroszow
06-27-06, 09:50 AM
Got you covered with support from here

Future5711
06-27-06, 02:24 PM
I'm interested because I'm 23, and not really doing much in my life. I've been a desk jockey at my job for the past 7 years, and it's getting old, plus I'm not sure if it's what I want to do for my life. When I was in HS, a long time ago..., we had recruiters in the cafeteria from time to time. I filled out an info card for the Marines and the recruiter never called me or made contact. I wish he had, because now I would have had 5+ years in instead of just starting out at 23.

I figured this to be a way to be the best, regardless of what others think/say, do something different, and challenge myself. My parents are less than thrilled, and my father is less than less than thrilled... They can't seem to understand why anyone in their right mind would join the military unless they couldn't do anything else, or were stuck. I just want to join because it's something I feel I have to do, it's hard to explain the feeling, but I just feel drawn to it, like I belong there or something.

Wyoming
06-27-06, 03:19 PM
I'm interested because I'm 23, and not really doing much in my life. I've been a desk jockey at my job for the past 7 years, and it's getting old, plus I'm not sure if it's what I want to do for my life. When I was in HS, a long time ago..., we had recruiters in the cafeteria from time to time. I filled out an info card for the Marines and the recruiter never called me or made contact. I wish he had, because now I would have had 5+ years in instead of just starting out at 23.

I figured this to be a way to be the best, regardless of what others think/say, do something different, and challenge myself. My parents are less than thrilled, and my father is less than less than thrilled... They can't seem to understand why anyone in their right mind would join the military unless they couldn't do anything else, or were stuck. I just want to join because it's something I feel I have to do, it's hard to explain the feeling, but I just feel drawn to it, like I belong there or something.

There you go young lady. You are going to be one that makes it, with a positive attitude like you have.

Stanley Hroszow
06-27-06, 03:21 PM
Invite them to check out the thread to see for themselves, what it is all about.

Lithium
06-27-06, 03:43 PM
yea like Future5711 said...I feel like I belong there...

Camper51
06-27-06, 05:54 PM
What took YOU so long in going after it? You could have done something 5 years ago and taken the initiative instead of waiting for someone else to do it for you. The only one to waste 5 years was...

christine_06
06-27-06, 06:08 PM
i decided to enlist to be apart of a never ending family, to do something with my life and be apart of the best while doing it, and because i have wanted to do it for a long time and i've jumped through hoops to do it.

DaveXIII90
06-27-06, 06:20 PM
Im 16, and I am definately going to enlist in the US Marine Corps when I turn 18 or 19. I have an interesting background of my situation when it comes to the Marine's. First of all, I have a few, maybe 3, highly waiverable disorders, and Ive been able to control all of them (Tourettes and ADHD). I am proud that I do not need medication for them anymore, and ive been able to control myself to the point where they have no symptoms. I am not one hundred percent sure if they will accept me, but hell, I am willing to present myself, let a few good men tear me up and build me from scratch, and turn me into a great person, by entering the Marines. Im not just going to walk away if somebody says I cant do it. For me, I need that feeling of being among the few, being somebody who will come together with a family of good Marine Recruits in times of need, and being in that brotherhood. the promise I give to myself is that no matter what disorders i may have, no matter what people tell me about my chances of joining, no matter what ANYBODY says against me, I will try my absolute best to earn the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. and to the members of the Armed forces who are reading this, thank you for being a part of protecting our future. I respect you all for your sacrifices and good intentions.

Future5711
06-28-06, 07:23 AM
I sure could've done something six years ago, and now that I look back I probably should have because I would've avoided a lot of sh*t that's happened in the last 6yrs. Unfortunately I didn't, and I...

Camper51
06-28-06, 10:30 AM
No disagreement on the recruiter push, but it still has to be your choice and your motiviation. It was your desire that started it and now it is your desire that is gonna finish it.

Parker-0321
06-29-06, 01:13 AM
why USMC? Because i want to be the best i can be. I want to be part of the best damn military the world will ever see. period.

Barret
06-29-06, 01:12 PM
Raise you hand if someone has ever tried to talk you out of Joining the Marines.:yes:

SemperFin
06-29-06, 02:53 PM
Just about every one of my friends in High School tried to talk me out of it. They just didn't understand. Of course one of those guys is now a VP at Ford and making a$$loads of money but I will always be a Marine and someday he will get fired.

The only thing my Dad ever said was "are you sure about this?"

Future5711
06-29-06, 03:09 PM
Raise you hand if someone has ever tried to talk you out of Joining the Marines.:yes:

Raised....almost everyone I know besides my recruiter and ex b/f have tried to talk me out of it. I can't even tell some people because they'll react so horribly. So I figure I'll tell them after I've already signed the papers and there's nothing they can do about it.

Barret
06-29-06, 03:11 PM
Well, one of my best buds is Supposedly going to the army, I'm gonna try to talk him into USMC, Buddy Program. My dad Says He doesn't care if I join the Military, but one time basically spent about 45 minutes explaining why I shouldn't.

tkmac58
06-29-06, 03:48 PM
So I've been looking at this forum for about a year and recently joined the forum. I've been looking into joining the Marine Corps for a couple of years, but I wanted some more time to really think about it and get some physical training in (I have to make sure I'm as physically and mentally ready before I sign those papers and eventually ship.) Anyway, why is everybody here (well, the Poolees and my fellow wannabes) looking into the Marine Corps? What are some of the MOS's you guys/gals thinking about getting? What do you want to do after your tenure with the USMC?

Personally I'm looking into combat arms (possibly infantry) as an MOS and I'm interested in becoming a police officer eventually. Anyway, please post what sparked your interest and what careers you're interested in.

Also, how's everybody's PT coming along? Anybody doing ruck marches at all?

sorry for being so annoying,

Erthwerm
First of all I have to get some intel from you? What do you currently do? Do you work, go to school, live with mom and dad? What made you think about the Corps, do you have freiends or family in it? Are you working with a recruiter, has he showed you the Benefit Tags and what Corps is about? Has all your concerns and drawbacks been answered, ie. boot camp, haircut, physical abuse, swim qual, moment of truth, war, deployment, Iraq, war on terror. These are a few, does your family, peers, loved ones support? Do you know what the commitment it? I say all this because before we talk MOSs, you need to understand these things, the pool program, active Marines, former Marines can give you advice all day and I would listen to every bit of it positive or negative. But before you jump you need to commit to being a Marine and understand that it aint always pretty. I know I am going to get beat up for this but does an MOS make a real difference right now, before you decide. No, but once you get into the program (DEP) you can make an educated choice based on asvab etc.. and what the Corps needs. If you decide to change your MOS, do it or dont ship. Is this good advice, hell yea, because I wouldnt want to kiss your ass if you didnt want to be a Marine. In closing all I am trying to say is learn about the Corps and what commitment it is going to be from you before you ask. I am not beating you up, at least your exploring and thinking about giving back to this great country. Believe me we need more people like you that actually have the gonads to ask. If this all works out it will be the most important thing you ever do. And you will be special to us.

Semper Fi

TKMAC58

Erthwerm
07-04-06, 01:48 PM
tk,
Thanks for your post. I am not working with a recruiter yet. I'm interested in the Marines because I've always wanted to be a Marine since I can remember. Now that the country's in need of a few good men, I want to see help her out. I also want to see if I have what it takes to be the a part of the best fighting force this world will ever see. I don't have any family who are/were in the Marine Corps, but my older brother was combat arms in the Army about ten years ago and he hated it. He also joined for the college money and not to serve his country. He did say, however, that it was one of the best things he ever did for himself. I have some friends who served and they said the same. I realize nothing is ever perfect and I will have to make many sacrifices for my country, but at least I'll have the satisfaction that I helped out our country, people and constitution in a time of need. My mother is ok with my interest and is encouraging and my father doesn't like the idea. But that's ok, because my mom can sweet talk my dad into anything. I always thought my dad would like the idea and my mom wouldn't, but I'll take support however I can get it.

I do realize that there's a VERY strong likelihood of me getting deployed to either Iraq or Afghanistan (maybe North Korea or Iran) but at that point, I'll be trained well enough to perform my duties even though I'll be scared. I'm aware there are lots of inconveniences in Recruit Training, but I'm ready for a challenge. I don't want to brag, but I'm the kind of person who quietly rises to a challenge and works his butt off. Anyway, thanks for your questions and I didn't take offense. I'm glad you brought some things to light. Thanks for that and your service.

Erth

Cperschke
07-05-06, 12:08 AM
Honestly I don't think I can explain it. I have tried a dozen times to a dozen people and they all just look at me with incomprehension. I could say it's Espirit de Corps, the brotherhood, the pride but thats not enough. I could say it's wanting to serve, wanting to protect what I have been given but that's not enough either. I could tell you it's because I want revenge and need to take a stand for what I beleive in, or the Transformation that I hope to earn along with the title. No matter how I try I can't explain it. It's all of those things and more. It's About Honor, Courage, Commitment.

It's all of those on paper but there's more. I just have this all consuming desire, this need. I know I must Earn it. Or I will never rest easy, I will allways look back with regret.

Ski Daddy
07-05-06, 12:38 AM
...Or I will never rest easy, I will allways look back with regret.

Exactly why I joined. Simple as that. No MOS questions, no college fund questions...no questions.

You will all face confrontation from those who have not served. You will face displeasure from those who do not understand. You will face questions about your future and what you will become. You will face those that are close to you and face their fears of loosing you.

...BUT...

Every morning when you shave that mug...you have to face...YOU.

Cperschke
07-05-06, 01:52 PM
Every morning when you shave that mug...you have to face...YOU.

That's it exactly. I will allways know. Or I will allways wonder.

Stanley Hroszow
07-05-06, 02:14 PM
The answer Lyes within you, and every post, and you must remember that every one has a time to die. whether in the Marines, or out no one can change that. you do what you can while you are here, and live for God, And your self and country.

yellowwing
07-05-06, 04:31 PM
Hey erthworm, just cut to the chase and ask yourself do you want to be the best? Is there that Warrior Spirit within you that is just begging to go overseas where men are doing harsh things?

That is us. That is the Marine Corps. :usmc:

Erthwerm
07-05-06, 05:38 PM
Hey erthworm, just cut to the chase and ask yourself do you want to be the best? Is there that Warrior Spirit within you that is just begging to go overseas where men are doing harsh things?

That is us. That is the Marine Corps. :usmc:

Yellowwing,

I've always wanted to be the best at everything I do and I know I possess the Warrior Spirit. I don't think saying: "I want to go to war," is a good thing, but I want to defend the constitution, people, and way of the United States of America from all enemies. I want to serve my country with the best people there are: the United States Marine Corps. I want to fight the enemy standing next to the greatest warfighters the world has ever seen. I don't think I'll derive any pleasure from doing harsh things, but I want to do them because I know it's important for the survivability of the United States of America. I also want to rise to the challenge and be able to say not only: "yes, I served my country in a time of great need" but "I am a Marine" for the rest of my life and know that I did the right thing. A friend of mine told me a saying once: "you may join the Army to go to adventure training, you may join the Navy to go to Bangkok, you may join the Air Force to play with computers; but you join the Marines to go to war," or something very similar to that. That's always been in my mind that when the going gets tough, the Marines will handle it, no matter how hard. I've always wanted to be a part of that. I think these are decent reasons for my interest in the USMC.

As an aside, my PT's getting better guys! thanks for all the tips!

Stanley Hroszow
07-05-06, 06:19 PM
And the Tiger Keeps on ticking, and going and going.

Barret
07-05-06, 06:58 PM
Also, With the exception of a select few, the other braches of the Military are kind of undisciplined, In my point of few, although I do have the greatest respect for them. Alot of times in coverage on the War, I see People saying How much they Hate it In Iraq, how they really don't think they should be there, and how the only thing they want to do is go Home. I know there are Marines that feel all of the above things, They don't say it on TV. In my mind, the Marines are the service that, no matter what, can "Get R' Done."

yellowwing
07-05-06, 07:27 PM
Good to go Erthworm!

WannabeDevildog
07-10-06, 11:49 PM
There are a lot of reasons I'm joining the Marines. Ever since I was a kid I knew I wanted to serve my country. It wasn't untill I got older that I looked into the Corps and thought "Well, if you're going to join, you might as well join the best fighting force the world has ever seen." I don't think anyone likes the thought of going to war. It scares the s*** out of me. But I think I'd find a bit of comfort knowing the men next to me are Marines and are willing to lay down their lives for me just as I would be for them. Every branch of the military has their own little mottos but, "Semper Fi" isn't just a motto to the Marine Corps. It seems like a way of life to the Corps. Marines are "Always Faithful" to other Marines, to Country, and to Corps forever.

wsimkins
07-12-06, 09:03 AM
Erthwerm,

I’m not one to post allot of ideas and opinions on message boards but in your case allow me to interject a few of my feelings and experiences that may help answer your questions pertaining to our beloved corps.

First of all, I spent several months screwing around with the Army trying to get into a special program they had. My girlfriend was pregnant and I was unemployed. I was a scrawny little punk just seeking a way to support my future family. Her father was a retired Master Sergeant from the Army and told me it was the easiest way for me to gain employment and do something worthwhile for a change. After this had drug on for a couple of months I walked into the Marine Recruiter just to get a little information. After a half day of watching a bunch of videos I decided to go home and discuss the possibilities with my family and a few friends. When I told her father I was looking into the Marines he laughed at me and said I was a worthless punk and there was no way my scrawny ass would ever make it in the Marines. The next day I walked into the recruiter’s office and told him I wanted to ship out immediately. This was the week of Easter and he had me on a plain to Parris Island, SC the following Monday. I weighed 118 lbs. soaking wet and had absolutely no idea what I was getting into. It turned out to be the best thing I ever did in my life!

Please allow me to share a prime example of our Brotherhood. About 2 months ago I went to a small VFW Post in a little town in Southern Indiana. They had called me about purchasing some shirts for a parade detail and I was delivering the merchandise. When I went inside I met the Senior Vice Commander of the post and he was wearing a USMC ball cap. I had sold them the shirts at my cost (saved them about $30 per shirt) because they were a local Veterans Organization (and I am a member of the VFW) and he was extremely appreciative. During the course of the transaction he noticed the USMC branded on my arm and immediately bought me a beer. He told me there are several Marines that are members of their post and asked that I come back and bring my wife with me. In the hour that we talked and shared stories several more members of the parade detail came in (most of them Marines) and I was immediately introduced to all of them. When I finally went home I shared the experience with my wife and a couple days later we both returned to the post to visit. We had no sooner sat down and ordered a soda when the Sr. Vice came over and said him and the other Marines had something they wanted to give me. To my surprise I was given a USMC ball cap, several pins and some window stickers for my car. It was a simple gesture on their part, but filled my heart with pride. I have been told on numerous occasions by Veterans of other branches that nothing beats the camaraderie of the Marine Veterans.

In closing, this is something you will work very hard to earn. It is something that few others have and is an accomplishment you will be proud of for the rest of your life! It will be the biggest challenge of your life, as it was mine. I guarantee that if you decide to join and attend MCRD, there will be several times you will ask yourself, “what in the hell have I done”. You will be pushed to the limit and if you don’t break under the pressure you will EARN the title United States Marine. It is something nobody can ever take away from you. You will have brothers nationwide that you can depend on. You will have self discipline and an inner pride you have never before experienced. As a Marine you will learn responsibility and total dedication. Upon returning to the civilian world I learned that as a Sergeant of Marines I actually had more responsibility than most Corporate Managers. As a Marine Veteran I had the common sense to make immediate command decisions that launched me into upper management quicker than my counterparts.

In your heart you must want to be a Marine. You must want to be part of the very best, an elite corps. You must earn the right to be called my brother. Instead of us telling you why you should join, you need to be telling us why you think you are worthy. My Marine Corps is looking for a “Few Good Men”, do you think you have what it takes to be one of them? I did and will never regret it. I think your post to Yellowwing is a very good start.

I certainly hope you will join us and look forward to the day I can call you Devil Dog.

LittleDevilDog
07-12-06, 09:13 AM
Sergeant Wes Simkins,

I must say.. that is a very motivating post! You make me want to run down to the local Recruiting station and sign on the dotted line right now.. but the only thing holding me back is 2 1/2 years!

My hat is off to you and all other fight breathing, bleeding Marines! I hope to one day earn the right to be called a Brother by yourself and everyone else here!

One Motivated Pup,

-- Jon

wsimkins
07-12-06, 09:33 AM
Hang in there Jon, you will one day join our ranks.

Erthwerm
07-12-06, 09:40 PM
Thank you, wsimkins. That was a truly motivating, inspiring post. I'm certainly leaning towards the Marine Corps, hopefully as a career. I'd like to enlist, but after my primary enlistment right now, I think I'd like to be a mustang officer (I already have a college degree.) I have no way of knowing whether or not I'm worthy, but right now I can say I am not a quitter and I know the value of hard work (definitely not as well as those of you in the armed forces, but as much as a civillian can understand hard work.) I hope someday you can call me your brother and I can defend what's so precious to all of us.